• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotag84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Curious, does anyone pull the batteries out of their red dots if they are sitting on a gun in the safe for a while? I haven't been shooting much lately due to ammo costs so wondering if leaving batteries in is a good idea or if I should pull them.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    No, but the only red dot is on my AR and I keep a spare in the grip (plastic baggie keeps it from rattling around).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a couple OLD red dots on .22 rifles that have sat in the safe for 15 years or so with rare occasional use. Both use the nickel sized button batteries and work whenever I bring them out.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I used to on an EoTech 512. It would suck the batteries and cause them to leak. I haven’t had that problem with any of my other dots.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm going on 5 years on my Comp M3. It's still strong and bright. Duracell only
    I have an extra 1/3N battery in the grip in original packaging for a back up

rotag84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I'm going on 5 years on my Comp M3. It's still strong and bright. Duracell only
    I have an extra 1/3N battery in the grip in original packaging for a back up

OK, good to know. I have a couple of TruGlo red dots that use the 'watch' style batteries and a Aimpoint Pro that uses the type 2L76 or DL1/3N.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    it would depend on the red dot, but I know Aimpoint Micro and some Holosuns have 50,000 hour battery life :dunno:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    2032- No
    AA or AAA yes, unless Lithium, then it depends on when I plan to use it again.
    CR123A-Most likely. As already stated, an Eotech will kill a battery in 6 months even if left unpowered.
    1/3N-Yes, I haven't made a good test of Crimson Trace, but Lasermax will slow-drain a battery if left installed.

I've never seen a button cell battery leak. Anyone have any anecdotes?

7N6-Hound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2020
    Indy
    Depends on the sight nowadays. Some Holosun and Trijicon ones last 5 years always on. My EOtech I have to change every 3 months no matter what

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    If it’s a duty or carry gun batteries get replaced and confirm zero on carry ammo every 6 months with my RMR’s (week 1 of Jan/week 1 of July). Long guns get battery once a year regardless of use (That being said I’m not on long guns that much so your interval might vary). Weapon lights get fresh cells beginning of month and used batteries go into box for work lights.

Most of my stuff uses 2032 so the half used out of duty batteries go into car fobs and HR monitors etc

Batteries are cheap so I don’t mind replacing $10-20 in batteries a year for life saving devices.

Top Bottom