Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a shot timer

Marksman

User Info Menu

All of the ones that I have seen used which include the pocket pro, have worked well during an indoor action pistol match with more than one squad shooting and separated bays at the same time.
    Never ascribe to malice or conspiracy, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or incompetence...

User Info Menu

I started with a sundial, didn't work well on cloudy days.
    Here Kitty, Kitty...

User Info Menu

Recent Pocket Pro II owner. I really like it. Still learning how to read the splits but the par timer is easy to work.

Right now all I need is:

Adjustable volume for dry fire and live fire work
    Par timer to work on speed

I tried a couple apps but I didn't care for them.

This stand alone timer is going to be a game changer for me when it comes to training.

I am doing a lot of drills and the timer gives me data to check my progress.

Even when plinking and shooting a plate rack or a Texas star, I run the timer and not how fast I clean them.

Bite the bullet and buy one.
    Anything is possible

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Good for you on realizing you need one. If you don't own a timer you are not serious about improving your shooting. I agree with those who say Pocket Pro 2.

I do want to try the new AMG Commander though. https://www.amg-lab.com/
    Michael Swisher

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deo62 View Post
    I started with a sundial, didn't work well on cloudy days.
    That sounds pretty shady....

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Recent Pocket Pro II owner. I really like it. Still learning how to read the splits but the par timer is easy to work.

Right now all I need is:

Adjustable volume for dry fire and live fire work
    Par timer to work on speed

I tried a couple apps but I didn't care for them.

This stand alone timer is going to be a game changer for me when it comes to training.

I am doing a lot of drills and the timer gives me data to check my progress.

Even when plinking and shooting a plate rack or a Texas star, I run the timer and not how fast I clean them.

Bite the bullet and buy one.
    Par timer? What is that? (Told ya I was ignorant)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markholst View Post
    Par timer? What is that? (Told ya I was ignorant)
    Mark, it is a feature that I can set a time for what is essentially a "second" beep. The first beep starts the drill, shoot, whatever and the second stops it.

Say I want to practice draws at home in a dry fire scenario. And say I want to be able to draw from my holster and get the sights on target it 1.0 seconds. I can set a par time of 1.0 seconds.

Then I hit the start and as soon as I hear the start beep, I do my drill. If the second beep occurs and I am not on target in this case, I didn't meet my goal.

I'm just starting out and the book I'm using for dry fire practice has some times that are too fast for me so I set the par time a little slower. In the case above, I may set the par time at 1.5 seconds. After some reps, if I'm getting it done before the beep, I'll set it next to 1.3 seconds and continue until I reach the goal time.

The one thing I learned early on is to not let the lure of speed to have you doing poor mechanics and/or poor accuracy. On my first range trip, I tried to hit the "par" times of the drills I was doing and trigger control, proper sight picture, etc flew out the window. The next week, I focused on good shooting and my accuracy improved and actually I was not a lot slower.

I figure speed will come with enough reps.
    Anything is possible

JHB
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Hear you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxnZ_51QQU4 (gregkl) is giving you good advice.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Mark, it is a feature that I can set a time for what is essentially a "second" beep. The first beep starts the drill, shoot, whatever and the second stops it.

Say I want to practice draws at home in a dry fire scenario. And say I want to be able to draw from my holster and get the sights on target it 1.0 seconds. I can set a par time of 1.0 seconds.

Then I hit the start and as soon as I hear the start beep, I do my drill. If the second beep occurs and I am not on target in this case, I didn't meet my goal.

I'm just starting out and the book I'm using for dry fire practice has some times that are too fast for me so I set the par time a little slower. In the case above, I may set the par time at 1.5 seconds. After some reps, if I'm getting it done before the beep, I'll set it next to 1.3 seconds and continue until I reach the goal time.

The one thing I learned early on is to not let the lure of speed to have you doing poor mechanics and/or poor accuracy. On my first range trip, I tried to hit the "par" times of the drills I was doing and trigger control, proper sight picture, etc flew out the window. The next week, I focused on good shooting and my accuracy improved and actually I was not a lot slower.

I figure speed will come with enough reps.
    Thank you! Awesome explanation!

User Info Menu

1. par time is extremely useful when you're dry firing
    2. A random start
    3. solid microphone if you are shooting supressed

here are two that i have

This would be my first pick
    https://www.amazon.com/PACT-Club-Sho...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This would be my second
    https://www.amazon.com/Competition-E...2289659&sr=8-6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast