Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a shot timer

Plinker

User Info Menu

What to look for in a shot timer

They say that the first step in fixing a problem is to admit you have a problem.

Here goes...*takes a deep breath*...I am completely ignorant about shot timers.

Whew! Feel better already.

But seriously, I have never used, or even touched, a shot timer. Ever. I know what they do and am assuming they come with a variety of options. Some useful, some not.

So when I start looking at them, what "options" do I need, then want, then avoid or useless? Please keep in mind that I'm wanting a beginner, for lack of a better word, model. I'm going to use it at the range to step up my training and looking for evidence I'm getting better or not. I don't need (I think) the Mercedes of shot timers.

Also what are some brands to look at and what brands to avoid would be good to know.

Thanks guys!

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/s...-dry-fire.html

I just tried an app for android called Splits and it worked great. Maybe just start with an app then move up to a stand alone.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

I've been meaning to buy one for years. The different ones we use at work don't seem to last long, so I haven't seen one yet that actually holds up.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

Pocket pro:

Looks stupid old school. Big, bulky. Clunky. Chunky. But damn, the display is cake to read, and it just works. And as a bonus it is so ubiquitous, that if you ever need to step up and volunteer your timer because the club's timer broke, odds are they will know how to run it. Its not sexy, but it just works. Cant stress enough how awesome they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Pocket pro:

Looks stupid old school. Big, bulky. Clunky. Chunky. But damn, the display is cake to read, and it just works. And as a bonus it is so ubiquitous, that if you ever need to step up and volunteer your timer because the club's timer broke, odds are they will know how to run it. Its not sexy, but it just works. Cant stress enough how awesome they are.
    It's simple but works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

3 Best Shot Timers [Tested]: BEEEEP!

This article covers a lot of the functionality and features you could / should consider. It's a pretty good deep dive. But as others have said, if you want something that covers almost every scenario you will actually use, get the Pocket Pro or the upgraded Pocket Pro 2.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Pocket pro:

Looks stupid old school. Big, bulky. Clunky. Chunky.
    You just described me perfectly!

User Info Menu

For me it came down to the Pocket Pro 2 or the CED 7000 because they are the only models I've seen used at competitions. I bought the Pocket Pro 2. I like that it uses a replaceable battery and the display is easy to read. The PP2 is the timer you'll see most often at competitions in my experience.

If you are going to use it at home make sure you get a timer where you can adjust the beep volume.

Also, if it's solely for training you might want to consider:

https://www.dryfiremag.com/product/d...er-compatible/

It connects to an app that records times and even analyzes your gun handling. Only works in a few gun models.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I installed Splits on my phone and am looking at the others suggested, but have another question.

How well do timers work at an indoor range? It seems to me that the timer would get confused with other shooters and pick up their shots.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast