• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    They say that the first step in fixing a problem is to admit you have a problem.

Here goes...*takes a deep breath*...I am completely ignorant about shot timers.

Whew! Feel better already.

But seriously, I have never used, or even touched, a shot timer. Ever. I know what they do and am assuming they come with a variety of options. Some useful, some not.

So when I start looking at them, what "options" do I need, then want, then avoid or useless? Please keep in mind that I'm wanting a beginner, for lack of a better word, model. I'm going to use it at the range to step up my training and looking for evidence I'm getting better or not. I don't need (I think) the Mercedes of shot timers.

Also what are some brands to look at and what brands to avoid would be good to know.

Thanks guys!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pocket pro:

Looks stupid old school. Big, bulky. Clunky. Chunky. But damn, the display is cake to read, and it just works. And as a bonus it is so ubiquitous, that if you ever need to step up and volunteer your timer because the club's timer broke, odds are they will know how to run it. Its not sexy, but it just works. Cant stress enough how awesome they are.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Pocket pro:

Looks stupid old school. Big, bulky. Clunky. Chunky. But damn, the display is cake to read, and it just works. And as a bonus it is so ubiquitous, that if you ever need to step up and volunteer your timer because the club's timer broke, odds are they will know how to run it. Its not sexy, but it just works. Cant stress enough how awesome they are.

:+1: It's simple but works.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    3 Best Shot Timers [Tested]: BEEEEP!

This article covers a lot of the functionality and features you could / should consider. It's a pretty good deep dive. But as others have said, if you want something that covers almost every scenario you will actually use, get the Pocket Pro or the upgraded Pocket Pro 2.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    For me it came down to the Pocket Pro 2 or the CED 7000 because they are the only models I've seen used at competitions. I bought the Pocket Pro 2. I like that it uses a replaceable battery and the display is easy to read. The PP2 is the timer you'll see most often at competitions in my experience.

If you are going to use it at home make sure you get a timer where you can adjust the beep volume.

Also, if it's solely for training you might want to consider:

https://www.dryfiremag.com/product/...hwesson-mp-stock-and-apex-trigger-compatible/

It connects to an app that records times and even analyzes your gun handling. Only works in a few gun models.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I installed Splits on my phone and am looking at the others suggested, but have another question.

How well do timers work at an indoor range? It seems to me that the timer would get confused with other shooters and pick up their shots.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    All of the ones that I have seen used which include the pocket pro, have worked well during an indoor action pistol match with more than one squad shooting and separated bays at the same time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Recent Pocket Pro II owner. I really like it. Still learning how to read the splits but the par timer is easy to work.

Right now all I need is:

Adjustable volume for dry fire and live fire work
    Par timer to work on speed

I tried a couple apps but I didn't care for them.

This stand alone timer is going to be a game changer for me when it comes to training.

I am doing a lot of drills and the timer gives me data to check my progress.

Even when plinking and shooting a plate rack or a Texas star, I run the timer and not how fast I clean them.

Bite the bullet and buy one.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Recent Pocket Pro II owner. I really like it. Still learning how to read the splits but the par timer is easy to work.

Right now all I need is:

Adjustable volume for dry fire and live fire work
    Par timer to work on speed

I tried a couple apps but I didn't care for them.

This stand alone timer is going to be a game changer for me when it comes to training.

I am doing a lot of drills and the timer gives me data to check my progress.

Even when plinking and shooting a plate rack or a Texas star, I run the timer and not how fast I clean them.

Bite the bullet and buy one.
    Par timer? What is that? (Told ya I was ignorant)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Par timer? What is that? (Told ya I was ignorant)

Mark, it is a feature that I can set a time for what is essentially a "second" beep. The first beep starts the drill, shoot, whatever and the second stops it.

Say I want to practice draws at home in a dry fire scenario. And say I want to be able to draw from my holster and get the sights on target it 1.0 seconds. I can set a par time of 1.0 seconds.

Then I hit the start and as soon as I hear the start beep, I do my drill. If the second beep occurs and I am not on target in this case, I didn't meet my goal.

I'm just starting out and the book I'm using for dry fire practice has some times that are too fast for me so I set the par time a little slower. In the case above, I may set the par time at 1.5 seconds. After some reps, if I'm getting it done before the beep, I'll set it next to 1.3 seconds and continue until I reach the goal time.

The one thing I learned early on is to not let the lure of speed to have you doing poor mechanics and/or poor accuracy. On my first range trip, I tried to hit the "par" times of the drills I was doing and trigger control, proper sight picture, etc flew out the window. The next week, I focused on good shooting and my accuracy improved and actually I was not a lot slower.

I figure speed will come with enough reps.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Mark, it is a feature that I can set a time for what is essentially a "second" beep. The first beep starts the drill, shoot, whatever and the second stops it.

Say I want to practice draws at home in a dry fire scenario. And say I want to be able to draw from my holster and get the sights on target it 1.0 seconds. I can set a par time of 1.0 seconds.

Then I hit the start and as soon as I hear the start beep, I do my drill. If the second beep occurs and I am not on target in this case, I didn't meet my goal.

I'm just starting out and the book I'm using for dry fire practice has some times that are too fast for me so I set the par time a little slower. In the case above, I may set the par time at 1.5 seconds. After some reps, if I'm getting it done before the beep, I'll set it next to 1.3 seconds and continue until I reach the goal time.

The one thing I learned early on is to not let the lure of speed to have you doing poor mechanics and/or poor accuracy. On my first range trip, I tried to hit the "par" times of the drills I was doing and trigger control, proper sight picture, etc flew out the window. The next week, I focused on good shooting and my accuracy improved and actually I was not a lot slower.

I figure speed will come with enough reps.
    Thank you! Awesome explanation!

Top Bottom