Blow out bag, stop the bleed bag, trauma kit-What to get? How to set it up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I took the Stop the Bleed class and now I want to get the gear. I looked at the usual sources like North American Rescue and some others. Sure I want good stuff in case I actually have to use it. But I try to be frugal and save money where I can without compromising quality.

Can I build a kit by cherry picking individual components and buying a pouch separately?

I'm no EMT or other type of First Responder so airway stuff won't be included. Here are the basics I have so far:

Gloves
    Tourniquet
    Combat Clot
    Gauze
    Chest Seal
    Garment scissors
    Israeli bandage

I may combine my "boo boo" kit with it, if I have room and it doesn't complicate things.

I have looked at Blue Force Gear-expensive and out of stock
    Gear bags.com for just pouches-reasonable prices
    skdtac.com-Tall Boy pouch look like it has potential
    lapolicegear

Please educate me on what I need, don't need, things that work for you, advice, where to shop and post up pics it you want.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wasn't trying to shut down conversation here. But there may be info you needed there, that might not be here.

If you buy stuff on Amazon, you have to be careful it's not cheap imitation stuff.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Stopthebleed.com sells kits that have
    *CAT tourniquet
    *quikclot gauze
    *compression bandage
    The price on their site is $69

Buying those thing ala carte on Narrescue came to $80. On the other hand NAR has other things like chest seals etc

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Greg, how big of a kit are you looking for? I have three stocked Dynamed kits available from a bulk buy a while back. I’ll have to double check which kit and contents, but it’s the red mini medic bag. I’ll post them up after I double check.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm definitely a convert to the ankle med kits. I use an ankle wrap I bought empty from Warrior Poet and stocked it with my own stuff. I keep it pretty basic, similar to the contents you're looking for.

I can't say I wear it everyday (I should) but I wear it every time I shoot and have taken many training classes with it now. I have never had any trouble with it getting in the way, moving around or tripping me up when running. Works great at the range and for EDC.

I also love not having to hang a fat IFAK off my battle belt.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wasn't trying to shut down conversation here. But there may be info you needed there, that might not be here.

If you buy stuff on Amazon, you have to be careful it's not cheap imitation stuff.

I knew you weren't. I jumped the gun and offered the mods to shut it down but when I went back to the other thread, though good reading, several pages were more about treatment and certifications, etc..

It's all good. I appreciate your contributions.

Stopthebleed.com sells kits that have
    *CAT tourniquet
    *quikclot gauze
    *compression bandage
    The price on their site is $69

Buying those thing ala carte on Narrescue came to $80. On the other hand NAR has other things like chest seals etc

I'll check STB out. I didn't realize they sold stuff.

Greg, how big of a kit are you looking for? I have three stocked Dynamed kits available from a bulk buy a while back. I’ll have to double check which kit and contents, but it’s the red mini medic bag. I’ll post them up after I double check.

Sounds good. I'd be interested.

So far I'm looking at the NAR Roo M-FAK Kit, the NAR M-FAK Mini kit and ITS Tallboy

If I'm looking at the right kit, that may be a little more than what I'm looking for. I think the gunshot trauma kit is more along the size of what I'm thinking.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One of the best deals I've found on components is the Downed Operator Kit (DOK) from Tactical Medical Solutions.

It also comes in a sturdy ziploc-type bag, that frankly, can be thrown in another bag as is. It may seem simplistic, but it's handy to be able to pull it out of a bag and see all your components at a glance.

There's extra room in the bag for a few other items. I have a few, to which I've added a few items, and simply run them in other bags (rather than a dedicated ifak bag).

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I always wait for NAR to do one of their sales and buy one of their kits. Try to go with a TQ, quick clot, ETD, and Chest seal. I’ve been able to get them for $50-$60, just have to wait for a deal.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I always wait for NAR to do one of their sales and buy one of their kits. Try to go with a TQ, quick clot, ETD, and Chest seal. I’ve been able to get them for $50-$60, just have to wait for a deal.

Sounds good. I will watch them. I am leaning towards either the Roo or Mini pack anyways.

And they are not really that out of line on pricing.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    That would work for me. Do you remember when the sale was?

The one I ordered under ended October 1st. I am sure there will be one for Christmas if you keep an eye on the NAR Web site.

I squeezed in a few boo-boo items, and for me it is a pretty complete kit for its intended uses.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Tourniquet, pressure bandage, quick clot, packing, chest seal, gloves. Keep up your training. I carry more items, as a paramedic and police officer, I have the skills for advanced care on myself.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Tourniquet, pressure bandage, quick clot, packing, chest seal, gloves. Keep up your training. I carry more items, as a paramedic and police officer, I have the skills for advanced care on myself.

This is the route I will go. Keep it simple and within my training. The only thing I'll add is a set of scissors to be able to cut clothing away.

I'm considering additional training. I just don't know what the next step is in the progression to being a brain transplant surgeon.:)

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I started as a First Responder (now called Emergency Medical Responder I believe), EMT, now Licensed Paramedic. Not sure what your day job is, but First Responder is a great start.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I started as a First Responder (now called Emergency Medical Responder I believe), EMT, now Licensed Paramedic. Not sure what your day job is, but First Responder is a great start.

Thanks. I wouldn't be doing it for a job, just the knowledge and ability to help if needed. And one thing I have learned from my 92 year old mom is that learning new things keeps your mind sharp and life more interesting.

I'm nearing the twilight years of career work. I have about 7 more years left in the full time work force if things work out okay.

Top Bottom