• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Decided to try carrying my Dan Wesson 1911 in a Falco SOB holster. I’m 5’ 9” and 190#. Even with a quality gun belt tightened to near discomfort the pistol feels floppy and rotates along the bore axis. I’m thinking that this is unavoidable when wearing a pistol of this size and weight but thought I’d solicit some advice from the fine folks here on INGO. Any advice is appreciated.

v

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have an SOB holster on order. SO, I can't comment yet. It should be here tomorrow. I am trying it because of surgery. I haven't worn a belt in weeks.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I cannot advise this rig for anyone. Having said that, what material how wide and thick Is your belt.
    I’m not committed to this setup. Can you elaborate on why you can’t recommend the setup? I’ve always carried strong side IWB in the past but I’d like to get the pistol out of my pants.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’m not committed to this setup. Can you elaborate on why you can’t recommend the setup? I’ve always carried strong side IWB in the past but I’d like to get the pistol out of my pants.

Less secure carry, presentation speed, difficult weak hand access, and possible sweeping yourself with a loaded gun, just to name a few. Will be glad to meet you at range and compare.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    define ideal. Depends on each of us individually and purpose of carry.

I work from home and don’t carry in the house often. I would prefer to get away from IWB so my pants and belt always fit. In jeans it’s easy to have the extra room but in dress trousers things get more challenging.

I had hoped the SOB rig would work in casual dress or in dress clothes with a jacket. The floppiness is a real deal breaker. I’ve never carried with a shoulder rig but I’m not opposed. Ideal for me is versatile and secure in jeans or dress slacks and a jacket.

My .380 is so easy to drop in any waistband, it goes everywhere and the DW stays home.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I carried a 1911 for over 40 years and still do on occasion.
    best thing I found for 1911 carry is Kydex. I have the Raven Concealment Phantom which is discontinued now. Kydes stays in place, no flopping, easy on belts.
    My opinion may not be relevant but I had the same issues with leather as you're describing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I carry strong side IWB and it works well enough for me.
    If I carry outside I have several offerings and my favorite is still my S**** due to its position and ease of access and presentation for me. That's just me and I know whats coming next.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Less secure carry, presentation speed, difficult weak hand access, and possible sweeping yourself with a loaded gun, just to name a few. Will be glad to meet you at range and compare.

Dont forget the risk of severe spinal injury in a fall. Friends dont let friends carry SOB.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I carry iwb 4 o'clock position. It's about the best way for me because its accessible, and out of the way for the type of work I do. Constantly bending over and rotating. I've tried SoB, and appendix both didn't work out. Appendix is horrible if you are constantly bending unless you have a mouse gun i am guessing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For a 1911 just go with a quality OWB holster in the 3-4 o’clock position. I like the holster to ride high on the belt. It isn’t quite as fast but it conceals better. Everything is a trade off. That said I really can’t think of any advantages for small of the back carry outside of maybe one very specific circumstance. That being of a person who works standing behind a counter. Even then I don’t know there would be any advantages compared to strong side carry.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    For a 1911 just go with a quality OWB holster in the 3-4 o’clock position. I like the holster to ride high on the belt. It isn’t quite as fast but it conceals better. Everything is a trade off. That said I really can’t think of any advantages for small of the back carry outside of maybe one very specific circumstance. That being of a person who works standing behind a counter. Even then I don’t know there would be any advantages compared to strong side carry.

I think this is what I’ll try next. Any specific recommendations? The options out there are mind numbing...

EDIT: The pistol is a Dan Wesson CCO with 4.25” barrel and I’d like the barrel to be completely enclosed by the leather or Kydex.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I think this is what IÂ’ll try next. Any specific recommendations? The options out there are mind numbing...

EDIT: The pistol is a Dan Wesson CCO with 4.25” barrel and I’d like the barrel to be completely enclosed by the leather or Kydex.

with a humble opinion I choose full quality leather with smooth leather lining with double thick lined 1 3/4 belt is best for 2 1/2LB guns scabbard or IWB and no silly sweat guard without a doubt. Quality IWB Kydex is good runner up. My guns do not wobble or flop around. I can present with one hand and reholster with one hand. I ride horses, motorcycles, tractors in the field, etc and do not loose guns. Now keep in mind that for many they are trying to wear comfortably and for me I want the carry to be comforting (big difference) in all phases of action.

Good luck to you sir but SOB, shoulder holsters, flimsy belts and lack of practicing presentations are something I stay away from. I heard it once said that the presentation starts with the equipment that you outfit yourself with and ends with the shot fired.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think this is what I’ll try next. Any specific recommendations? The options out there are mind numbing...

Like Jim I like leather, something about 1911s and leather just seem to go together. But good quality leather is going to cost a bit more. I have actually switched to Kydex. I have not had any issues with my gun flopping around and I do all sorts of activities while wearing a gun. My favorite is a 5” 1911 in a Raven Phantom, which I believe is now discontinued. Before that I used the leather Wilson Lo Profile. The holsters are actually very similar other then material from which they are constructed. I switched to a 4.25” Commander sized 1911 and carry that IWB in a Comp-Tac MTac or OWB in a Bravo Concealment brand holster. Really any kydex 4.25” 1911 holster from a reputable manufacturer would work. The secret is the belt.

Top Bottom