• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Not to be a thread-downer, but these are well-known in rimfire steel challenge circles to become unreliable feeders pretty quickly. I found this out the hard way, when I went to my first couple competitions and wondered why all the good shooters were using 10-round mags with the nice anodized aftermarket baseplates, when such super neat-o 25-rounders were available for a cheap price? I soon found out why.

They are OK for plinking, if you want to teach your kid how to clear jams properly. Just switch back to the 10-rounders before they lose interest. Word to the wise.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Not to be a thread-downer, but these are well-known in rimfire steel challenge circles to become unreliable feeders pretty quickly. I found this out the hard way, when I went to my first couple competitions and wondered why all the good shooters were using 10-round mags with the nice anodized aftermarket baseplates, when such super neat-o 25-rounders were available for a cheap price? I soon found out why.

They are OK for plinking, if you want to teach your kid how to clear jams properly. Just switch back to the 10-rounders before they lose interest. Word to the wise.

Honestly, they seem to be kinda like AK mags except with way better support from Ruger. If you have a problem you can always send them back and Ruger will replace them. If your gun just doesn't like BX-25s, then you can tweak on 'em and improve reliability. There are lots of people at both ends of the spectrum so it can't all be the mags.

I think I have 8 or 10 BX-25s and I'm not sad about it. The point you raise is that I should also have a dozen or so BX-1s, and that is a good point.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What do the baseplates do for the 10 rounders? And where do you get them?

I am going to ask around about the brand/source. But the baseplates are only a luxury for easier insertion / removal. The key to reliability is staying away from high cap. In addition to the Ruger BX-25s eventually sitting at a funny angle in the gun due to the extra weight (which can be "tweaked"), the very large capacity leads to the rounds "nose-diving" and not being delivered repeatably at the correct angle (which cannot).

At plinking volumes, it can take a while to notice. My very first match, they ran like a charm. But at competition volumes it will eventually burn you. Next time out, I got lucky most of the day because my "crap run" on each stage didn't count (your worst run per stage is discarded). Next to last stage, I finally got a second "blown run" that went on the score pad for keeps. When you're modestly shooting for 100 seconds total time over 31 scored strings, and add 20 seconds on a single run because your last loaded mag won't feed the round...yah. Not good :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was looking at this thread hoping the big long bannana Ruger mags were quite a thing. I have a few to sell, including some of those two in one jobs.

Mine work fine and were really cool when I bought them. They just don't fit my style of shooting. In recent years, my focus has been on accuracy over volume.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    ...the very large capacity leads to the rounds "nose-diving" and not being delivered repeatably at the correct angle (which cannot).

Without knowing exactly your failure mode, there are tons of follower mods guys do to BX-25s to tweak feeding issues. Apparently you can shim them around and influence different feeding behaviors.

I've never had a reason to do any of that, but I do know some people do.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have a BX-15 and a BX-25 mag and haven't had any trouble through 6,000 rounds. But I'm using the bolt action Ruger Precision Rimfire.
    Attached video shows what bad things can happen with semi-auto rimfire using a BX-25. To keep perspective, the failure (ok, explosion) happened after multiple rapid fire mags.

[video=youtube_share;_1fZtUUkcGg]http://youtu.be/_1fZtUUkcGg[/video]

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So far my 10/22 has never had any problems with them. The children like to shoot them fast my rifle seems to like them. Of course it isn't a competition rifle nor has it ever been in a match so for me they are just fine. I carry one coon hunting in case we get super lucky and tree 10 coon in one night lol.

Top Bottom