• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    For the past 4 years or so, my deep-cover/BUG has been a Colt Pony Pocketlite .380, carried in a kydex pocket holster from Stellar Rigs that had been modified by Jeff @ RM Holster Works. I recently replaced the Colt with a Kahr P380, so I needed to find a good pocket holster for it.

Stellar Rigs offers a couple different pocket holsters for the P380, and Kahr even sells them on their website; that's a pretty good endorsement. While I'd been fairly happy with their holster for the Colt, there were a couple things about it I didn't care for, so I decided to see what else was available. Raven offers a pocket holster for the P380, but the prospect of waiting 8+ weeks didn't thrill me. In my research, I stumbled across the website of Alabama Holster Company - Concealment Products That "Just Plian Work". I liked what I saw in the design of their kydex pocket rig, and at $25.00, the price was certainly right, so I decided to give it a try.

After about 4 weeks, my holster arrived. Here is the description from Alabama's website:

Our Front Pocket Holster design is very effective at masking the outline of the gun and keeping the gun in an upright, ready position in the pocket. The outside of the holster remains mostly smooth (looks like a billfold) to mask the outline of the gun while the inside, the side toward your leg, is formed to the shape of the gun. The holster is curved to conform to the shape of your leg. We use thin (.060) Kydex for this design. With the gun holstered in the pocket, obtain a good firing grip on it and discretely break the retention by pushing on the thumb tab or simply draw the gun briskly. Upon drawing, the thumb tab and the hooked end will catch your pocket and the holster will remain inside.

A key feature of this holster is that it takes up the entire bottom of the pocket which is what keeps the gun from floating around and also keeps the holster from drawing with the gun. It is available for both square bottom and round bottom pockets. It is a very thin and effective design. As with all of our designs the trigger is covered completely and all edges are smoothed and polished.

I ordered a round bottom, left-handed holster. It is constructed from a single folded sheet of kydex, and is designed so that the two sides can never open or separate (a major complaint I had about the Stellar holster). The workmanship is outstanding; there's not a rough or sharp edge anywhere on the thing. The level of retention is surprising, given the lack of tension-adjustment screws, and having only one side tightly molded to the gun. The thinness of the kydex itself, coupled with the curved profile that "hugs" the leg, makes for an extremely comfortable and concealable holster. Now, on with the pics!

alabama_stellar_front.jpg

P380/Alabama combo (left) and Pony Pocketlite/Stellar Rigs combo (right), front side (away from the body). The Alabama holster covers much more of the gun, which helps mask its outline, as well as keeping the gun in position by filling up more of the pocket. The slight forward cant of the gun allows plenty of room for a secure firing grip inside the pocket.

alabama_stellar_back.jpg

P380/Alabama combo (left) and Pony Pocketlite/Stellar Rigs combo (right), back side (next to the body). The Alabama holster almost completely covers the gun on this side, which protects the inside of the pocket from sharp edges (sights, slide serrations, etc).

alabama_tab.jpg

The thumb shelf is clearly visible at the holster mouth. The idea is to use the thumb to push the holster off the gun as you begin the drawstroke, in the manner shown below:
    alabama_thumb.jpg

This technique can work, but IMO, it compromises the firing grip. Being a firm believer in "the first grip you get is the one you're going to live or die with," I prefer to lock the thumb down as soon as the hand hits the gun. The Stellar Rig required using the "social finger" push the holster off the gun, so that muscle memory was already developed, and fortunately, the same technique works with the Alabama holster, as well:
    alabama_finger.jpg

alabama_bird.jpg

Finally, how does the P380 conceal in the Alabama holster? Much better than the Colt/Stellar combo, I must say. The rounded bottom edge and curved profile allow the Alabama holster to virtually disappear in all kinds of pants, including a pair of jeans I have that are "a little snug" and wouldn't allow me to carry the Colt or anything else in the front pocket without serious printing. Not anymore...

alabama_pocket1.jpg

alabama_pocket2.jpg

So I've now got a reliable, high-quality and reasonably accurate pistol in a comfortable, inexpensive holster that allows me to carry discreetly any time in pretty much any mode of dress. Yeah, I'm happy. :yesway:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What do you think of how the maker formed the Kydex into the trigger and guard and how it (does it?) affect the ability to draw the pistol? I know other makers have had issues with construction techniques, specifically on IWB holsters.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What do you think of how the maker formed the Kydex into the trigger and guard and how it (does it?) affect the ability to draw the pistol?

I think the entire holster is really well executed, and there are no issues to speak of. The trigger guard molding is what retains the gun in the holster. It requires a bit of effort to overcome on the drawstroke, but this is easily accomplished by either pushing off with the thumb using the built-in shelf, or using the "social finger" to start the gun out of the holster, which is my preferred method.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    thanks for the review! I have a nylon pocket holster but was looking for a good kydex pocket holster for my lcp. Rep given.

Byers87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Alabama Holster - LCP

Love it! Just as advertised. Price is right. Do NOT get in a hurry, 4 weeks production time advertised on the website turned into 6 weeks. Still, I would get it again. Each time I inquired, I recieved a prompt personal reply. I also pruchsed the holster for my iPhone - it is a little tight, but dang I like it!

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Nice review. Looks to be a nice holster. Question though. Does that thumb shelf dig into your leg at all? Looks like it might.

I think I will order a round bottom right hand for my PM9. I have two other holsters I can use during the wait time. Thanks.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Love it! Just as advertised. Price is right. Do NOT get in a hurry, 4 weeks production time advertised on the website turned into 6 weeks. Still, I would get it again. Each time I inquired, I recieved a prompt personal reply. I also pruchsed the holster for my iPhone - it is a little tight, but dang I like it!

Nice dig! I wanted to lean something about a good pocket holster. Also, welcome to INGO.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Wake up thread...

Fyi- I'm at 13 weeks awaiting my Alabama holsters. Ordered 3 at once for the same gun...they haven't replied to any of my emails, they won't return my calls, let alone answer their phone...

Starting to wonder if they folded up and ran away with my $$

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Wake up thread...

Fyi- I'm at 13 weeks awaiting my Alabama holsters. Ordered 3 at once for the same gun...they haven't replied to any of my emails, they won't return my calls, let alone answer their phone...

Starting to wonder if they folded up and ran away with my $$

I have 3 Alabama Holsters that were good. Sorry to hear about your troubles and their service.

But if they are not willing to respond after 13 weeks of waiting, then its time to see about getting those charges reversed on your card. Their website says the normal wait is 6-8 weeks, but does not give a current time frame.

Top Bottom