• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    While at the range today I got a nice little surprise, I was shooting my youngest daughters .22LR bolt action when I got a blast of/face full of burning powder thanks to a rim/case separation while shooting Remington Golden Bullets.

Thankfully I (& my kids) always wear eye & ear protection, but if I had not been I could have easily been blinded as there was spec's of burnt/burning powder all over my glasses).

rimcaseseperation.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Generally regarded as the dirtiest, most unreliable, poorly constructed of the already dirty, unreliable, and poorly constructed line of Remington rimfire ammo. This shouldn't come as a surprise to most Ingoers. I buy it and shoot it - but only out of the single shot bolt guns and only when there's nothing else available.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have to agree that the Remington golden rounds are really bad. Hard to believe that a company as great as Remington would sell such out and out crap.

Glad no one was hurt when that round failed, and you should be glad it did in a bolt rifle and not a semi auto!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've had some cases split along their sides... But nothing that caused any damage. Yet.

(Ruger Mk II 22/45 w/ PacLite upper)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Me and my dad used to have the problem years ago with Winchester Wildcats... Case seperation or splitting or rims pulling off...
    Haven't touched Wildcats since...

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I posted a warning about the Winchester .22lr rounds about 2 years ago, I blew up two guns with that crap...never used Win. 22 lr rounds again, and never had another problem........they looked the same as the pics here, brass failure at the rim....BTW, it didn't matter which kind of Win .22lr, Wildcats were the first, then did it again with a box of the X's........

I am out........:cool:

Penske

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago to a friend i was shooting with I haven't seen this until then but I'm pretty new to shooting.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've never had any luck with the Remington Golden Bulk Pack - tried them in a GSG-5, 10/22, and a Ruger MKIII. I bought a box and ran about 30 rounds out of it and just threw the rest of the box out. I was getting a FTF or FTE in each gun about 7 out of 10 rounds - switched to CCI and Federal 550 bulk pack and haven't had any issues at all.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Sweet irony, I took my MK II to the range this morning with the REM GB and it was an exercise in clearing jams. FTF, FTE, Misfire. No hang fires and no kaboom, so that's positive. I have another 1000 rounds of this ammo to blow through. Funny thing is, My 10/22 eats 'em up great, but the MK II has indigestion. I've been reading that the WalMart Federal Bulk pack are a better choice, guess I'll find out soonj enough. I like cheap ammo for plinking, but I'm going to pick up some mini mags to stow away for a rainy day.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have been buying & shooting both the Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs & the Federal bulk packs for years (which ever is on sale at the time), generally the Remington's are more accurate than the Federals out of my various .22LR's but the Federals generally have fewer priming pocket issues (misfires) than the Remington's do.

Anyway this is the first time I've had a case/rim separation in probably over 20 years (I believe the last one was with Winchester Wildcat .22LR) which would easily equate to hundreds of thousands of .22LR fired over the course of that time frame, so those are not that bad of odds.

Still I thought it warranted a heads up just to remind everyone to wear eye protection while shooting.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    While at the range today I got a nice little surprise, I was shooting my youngest daughters .22LR bolt action when I got a blast of/face full of burning powder thanks to a rim/case separation while shooting Remington Golden Bullets.

Thankfully I (& my kids) always wear eye & ear protection, but if I had not been I could have easily been blinded as there was spec's of burnt/burning powder all over my glasses).

You were shooting a Bolt Action and got blow back? I never had a case separation, but I would believe if the bolt was closed properly that you wouldn't get any blow back.

Glad no one was hurt and a great reminder to always wear safety glasses.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Yup it was a bolt action & yea the action was closed all of the way (it wont fire unless it's closed all of the way), it doesn't take much of an opening/crack for the pressurized gas & burning powder to escape through.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    My son bought a brick of those for his 10/22 I will be sure to let him know about them

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    Before you blame the ammo, Gun tests had a heads up about 22Lr rifles that would fire 'out of battery' , with the bolt OPEN about 1/2 inch. case failures such as shown here were happening, and spraying case fragments out the ejection port.

This was in the March or April 2010 Tests.

H.T.H
    Mike

Top Bottom