• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I purchased a few boxes of the Fiocchi .380 JHP ammo that Gander Mountain had on sale for $15.99 last week.

Today I had a chance to get to the range to test it out, and the theme was suckage.

I was trying it in my Sig P238, which has ate everything Ive feed it, including multiple kinds (at least 5) of JHP, and 2 or 3 different kinds of regular ball ammo, with no problems.

Loaded the mag, chambered the round, pulled the trigger, and 'click'. Nada.

Figured it was a fluke, waited a few seconds, dropped the mag, pulled the slide back, and the round didnt come out. Finally got it out with a little shake, looked at the primer, and no strike. Hmmmmm thats weird. Chambered another round, pulled the trigger, and again, 'click'. Same result, no primer strike. So chambered another round and gave everything a once over. Ahhhh there it is, slide is an 1/8" from seating all the way. So I bump the back of the slide, it moves forward, pull trigger, bang. Spent casing ejects, next round, same problem. I tried this repeatedly with this one box (all I took with me), and every time I got the same result. The slide would not go into battery all the way unless I forced it. I managed to fire 4 rounds out of the box. After that I put it away.

When I got home I took that same box of ammo and tried it in a new/unfired PK380. I got basically the same result, except the rounds wouldnt make it all the way up the feed ramp, and jambed. So I manually slide a round into the chamber then tried to close the slide on it. Same thing, At least an 1/8" from making it into battery. This time I couldn't even bump the slide into position. In fact the ejector wouldnt even pull the round back out, and I couldnt pull it out with my finger. It was stick in the chamber tight enough I had to use a brass rod to push it out from the muzzle end.

I tried this with 3 total boxes, with the exact same result.

Suck suck suck is all I can say. I guess "cheap" ammo isnt a good deal with it wont function in the only two firearms I have that take it.

Any thoughts on whats going on?? The bullets in this ammo are all crimped in place where none of the other .380 I have is. Im wondering if this is part of the issue?? Almost acts like the case is to big not letting the bullet seat all the way.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ruger LCPs have a problem with Fiocchi .380 JHPs as well. They are longer than some other rounds. Seems like that specific line is out of spec somehow. It is always a good idea to test your firearms with your HP of choice, so you've just eliminated Fiocchi.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af0lZD0MVLw&feature=PlayList&p=80ACB354CFE9B4FC&index=0&playnext=1]YouTube - Ruger LCP Fiocchi Ammo Problem[/ame]

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I tried is in a Sig P238, and it was hit or miss, maybe 50%. I tried to cycle it in a Walther PK380, and it would go into battery at all.

It seems this ammo is an issue in smaller handguns, but will work ok in "normal" sized pistols. Ive actually listed this ammo for sale or trade in the forsale section if anyone is interested.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I had the same problem with this ammo with my RUger lcp ...The other problem I had with it was with winchester "full metal jacket" from wal-mart. They do not have a rounded nose on the bullet like the Remington 380 from walmart. Many issues with these bullets but I had more failure to extract that failure to fire (if any if I recall) . The Ruger LCP is finnicky when it comes to ammo choice and you have to be selective and use a little trial and error. If you like remington then go with the fmj at walmart about 20bucks a box for the best results....I also like sellier and bellot as they are pretty reliable....I am on the fence about the ruger lcp and considering getting rid of it because of how ammo selective it is...It is a very good design and lightweight which are what keeps it in my pocket most of the time and my glock locked up at home...

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    LCP info

Here's some info on the LCP. (I like this little gun!)

Not to hijack, but...I had a lot of failure to fires due to what I thought were "hard primers" etc. I reload and am aware of some of the differences in some primers but felt that with all things considered I still needed whatever I carry to be 100% reliable as long as I do my part. I went through maybe 100 rounds of different mfrs and still had a 10% failure rate. I was :xmad: about the $$$ Hornady stuff I was wasting.

Although what you describe is a failure to return to battery or lock up, it could be a fault of the slide, as was the issue with my Ruger LCP. If you look at my pics, you can see the "brassed" area in the breech face. Compare the two, good and bad, and see if you can tell the difference. I sent the images to Ruger as proof of my issue with the slide.

LCP pictures by PappyDC - Photobucket

When the replacement came, the result was 100% reliability. Maybe your slide could be just a little off in some way... Just a guess...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    No. My LCP problems were with the Fiocchi ammo, which is longer than other 380s. It has been fine otherwise.

RedDot- Not surprised about the Bersa. It is a larger firearm and has a good reputation for eating anything.

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    just put 50 rounds of the fiocchi 380aphp, not the xtp thru my p3at, hot compared to standard fair, no hiccups, great price, new carry ammo found!

Top Bottom