• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    After attending Aszerigan’s Intro to Reloading class in September, I decided to get into reloading.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...pply/115927-reloading_classes_-_november.html

Reviews of the class can be found at:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._supply/108364-reloading_class_reviews_-.html

My motivation was to reduce costs and to improve accuracy, particularly with .223 rounds. I have a technical background and liked the idea of having more control over how the ammo was produced.

I also decided to start with a single stage RCBS Rockchucker press. I’ve already priced out a Dillon progressive press, but that will have to wait for now.

I have a small room in our house that has some gun stuff and other storage. I also occupied a table with my computer. I moved the computer elsewhere and later took the tables out. The space I had was small, so I had to use the space efficiently.

Picture of corner of the room before the reloading bench
    2u451j6.jpg

I started with plans from the ‘ABC’s of Reloading’ book. I made the bench narrower and longer to fit the room. I also didn’t make the shelf unit that sits on the standard bench.
    2yv43d5.jpg

Since the bench was going to be in the house, I decided to make it a bit nicer looking than if it had been in a basement or garage. Oak veneer plywood, some stain, and satin varnish gave it a nice look.

I built and finished the bench pieces in the barn and then brought them into the house piece at a time. I also decided to build two hanging storage shelves since storage was lacking in the room. I found a stool at a used furniture store and cut a few inches off the legs to give me the standard 13” between the seat height and working surface.

Along the way, and due to some feedback from INGO member SlowHand, I built a small section of pegboard.

Picture of bench parts in the barn
    r2qhau.jpg

After hanging the two shelf units and the pegboard, and hanging an overhead light, I assembled the bench. (Mrs. Lovemywoods was a big help!:yesway:) I bolted the bench into the walls with long lag screws. It doesn’t budge!

I left space for the Dillon press on the bench. I hope I eventually use it!

Picture of finished reloading bench
    8x0gg6.jpg

Close up of finished reloading bench
    2rgdthv.jpg

I’ve got the bench, the press, the tools, the manual, the bullets, the powder, the brass (lots of brass!). So now it’s up to me to learn how to reload! :D

(Special thanks to Aszerigan for his on-going counsel and encouragement! And thanks to bwframe and Doug Barnes for their willingness to have a noob look at their reloading rooms.) :rockwoot:

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Looks like you'll have a comfortable little workspace. I like the table being finished more than most I've seen. Just because its going to be a work table doesn't mean you can't make it look good. Even in the after pics the first thing I notice is the chinking. I love log and plank cabins/homes.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Very nice! Of course, we expected no less from you, sir!! now, i want to see a pic after the first two thousand rounds and see how it looks then. Probably still cleaner than my bench after a good cleaning.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Excellent job LMW
    You obviously have a knack for wood working as well (hence your USER NAME I assume). :)
    I currently have my Lee press mounted to 2 pieces of 3/4" thick 2'x2' plywood and have them clamped to my Radial Arm Saw's table ( I can easily remove them to use my saw at any time ).
    I've been thinking of building a bench for my reloading too.
    You have inspired me ! Looks like a great Winter project. :rockwoot:
    Thanks for sharing your work.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Excellent job LMW
    You obviously have a knack for wood working as well (hence your USER NAME I assume). :)
    I currently have my Lee press mounted to 2 pieces of 3/4" thick 2'x2' plywood and have them clamped to my Radial Arm Saw's table ( I can easily remove them to use my saw at any time ).
    I've been thinking of building a bench for my reloading too.
    You have inspired me ! Looks like a great Winter project. :rockwoot:
    Thanks for sharing your work.

Glad to have offered you a bit of inspiration! Remember to post a couple of pictures of your finished product.

As to my user name; it comes from me living in a wooded area in Brown County. I really do love living where I do and hence my user name!

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Glad to have offered you a bit of inspiration! Remember to post a couple of pictures of your finished product.

As to my user name; it comes from me living in a wooded area in Brown County. I really do love living where I do and hence my user name!
    Oh,, I'll post some if I ever get to that point. My wife keeps me busy sometimes with her Honey Do's. So,, we'll see what I get done lol

On the name: That is ironic. I was just in Brown County yesterday and will be back today to pick up a cat we took over to the Bean Blossom Animal Clinic. My wife loves the SHOPS there in Nashville ..

Thanks again for the info on the bench. I like that you added the plans as well. Very helpful :yesway: I can only hope that mine turns out looking as Gr8 as yours has. ;)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Superb Setup! Now to get the kids to do the work on reloading. Oh, wait, if you let them reload they will just want to shoot up the ammo too...

Hmm. ;)

Again, nice work as always.

Techres

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Looks great Dave !!!!

Wise choice to start with a single stage and LEARN the proper loading process before jumping to a progressive press. You'll never quit using that rockchucker, I have a Dillon 650 and my rockchucker still gets a good workout for rifle rounds and test loads for handgun...

Top Bottom