• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Ok I must start this out with the disclaimer the following loads worked for me there is no test data to back up my loads so load them at your own risk.

I was bored today and wanted to play in the loading room. I have not shot much lately so everything is loaded up. I wanted to revisit the past I used to load some real light loads for the 30-30 and the 06. My old load was with red dot like 5 grains and a 125 pill.
    I haven't used red dot for awhile and I have a bunch of universal so I loaded a few to just play. I ened up at 7 grs behind a 125 pill not much recoil and fun plinker load.

So does anyone esle play with light plinking loads just for fun or to hunt small game?

What are your loads.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    I tried the Red Dot load before, but it didn't seem accurate enough to be worthwhile in my rifle.
    I have used 25 gr. of IMR4198 with 150 gr. bullet in my .30-06 for a fun, accurate plinking load.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've used about 7 or 8 grains of Unique behind 110 and 125 gr. bullets in 308 quite a bit. Fairly accurate out to about 50 yards or a bit further, after that they would start to get wild. Used them to hunt whistle pigs in semi-populated areas with good results. Fun to shoot and like you said, no recoil and also quiet. Also since cases require minimal resizing if any, they seem to last forever. I would use cases that were at the end of their life for regular loads and got a bunch more use out of them.
    Also tried 32 wadcutters, 32 auto bullets and even 0 (IIRC) buck shot pellets. The wadcutters were seated backwards on top of 3 grains of Bullseye and were deadly to 25 yards, after that they started to tumble. Dandy squirrel load. The 32 auto bullets weren't bad but not near as good as longer bullets and the pellet loads just flat stunk for hitting anything past 10 yards and that's on a good day.
    I would also open up the flash hole a little bit to make ignition more consistent and improve accuracy. One word of caution, if you do enlarge the flash hole, mark the cases so you don't use them for regular loads as the results could be disasterous.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    For bullits the 100gr Speer plinker works ok, only down side is no crimp groove unless you put one on it, so not great in a tube mag. I found some 150gc cast bullits at a show and those work great at about 1500fps. Don't recall what powders I used - damned old age.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I've used about 7 or 8 grains of Unique behind 110 and 125 gr. bullets in 308 quite a bit. Fairly accurate out to about 50 yards or a bit further, after that they would start to get wild. Used them to hunt whistle pigs in semi-populated areas with good results. Fun to shoot and like you said, no recoil and also quiet. Also since cases require minimal resizing if any, they seem to last forever. I would use cases that were at the end of their life for regular loads and got a bunch more use out of them.
    Also tried 32 wadcutters, 32 auto bullets and even 0 (IIRC) buck shot pellets. The wadcutters were seated backwards on top of 3 grains of Bullseye and were deadly to 25 yards, after that they started to tumble. Dandy squirrel load. The 32 auto bullets weren't bad but not near as good as longer bullets and the pellet loads just flat stunk for hitting anything past 10 yards and that's on a good day.
    I would also open up the flash hole a little bit to make ignition more consistent and improve accuracy. One word of caution, if you do enlarge the flash hole, mark the cases so you don't use them for regular loads as the results could be disasterous.
    All of this is good info, I have never tried this, but I will in the near future..... Thanks to all.....

reload4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Here's a load for the 30-06 thats really accurate and easy on the gun and the shooter. 12.6 grs HS6 under a 175gr cast (gas checked) flat nose bullet with a dacron wadding in between.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    looks like I'm not the only guy to just play:):

I used to play around all the time anymore crnk out a few loads hardly ever change the press set up. I forgot how much fun a single stage press can be. I guess I will keep the dust nocked off it and play for awhile.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have used 8 grains of 700X behind a 135 grain lead bullet in a 30.06 for along time. With drilled out flash holes in the specially marked brass.

The Second Edition of "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee has quite a bit of data on reduced loads for cast bullets for the 30-30, 308, and 30.06.

I am using 25 grains of N135 behind the 135 lead for about 2200 fps. It is nice to be using non-modified brass for this reduced load. Plenty accurate too..

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    At leverguns.com there is a article titled 30-30 varmint and other varient loads which gives good information. One was 150 gr cast bullet and 10gr. 2400 for 1000fos.

Top Bottom