• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Since I will be purchasing a Ruger SR9c in the near future, I was wondering what your preference in ammo was. Before I get the whole "9mm ammo should work" comments, haha, I mean, what type? FMJ, JHP, +P,+P+? Also, what are the advantages of each? Sorry if this is a noob question, but I am new...

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Defense Hollow Points- 115gr Hornady Critical Defence or 115 gr Speer Gold dots
    Reason low recoil for the increased recoil of a compact handgun. Even though the Ruger can be fed anything, you're gonna want a lighter load in a compact so you are more on target for any necessary follow up shots. Though I have put lots of Remington Home Defense 124gr hollow points through mine with no problems. I keep Gold Dots in mine, and Critical Defense in my 2nd mag.

Range ammo Federal 115gr Full Metal Jackets.
    Reason cheap, and plentiful. And it lets you practice with the same grain weight you will be shooting.

Get yourself a good Half Moon Kholster for concealment and you are set

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    The Federal 115 gr FMJ can be bought at Walmart for $10.47 everyday.

I can't speak for the SR9c, but my two SR9's seem to prefer 115 gr ammo over anything else.

BTW, USA Ammo has 9mm 115 gr FMJ for $8.45/50. I bought 250 rounds to try it out. My son shot it at the last FNS and it cycled perfectly, and was accurate enough for him finish very high in the unlimited class. I'm VERY proud of him!:D

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The Federal 115 gr FMJ can be bought at Walmart for $10.47 everyday.

I can't speak for the SR9c, but my two SR9's seem to prefer 115 gr ammo over anything else.

BTW, USA Ammo has 9mm 115 gr FMJ for $8.45/50. I bought 250 rounds to try it out. My son shot it at the last FNS and it cycled perfectly, and was accurate enough for him finish very high in the unlimited class. I'm VERY proud of him!:D

I haven't fired my c yet,but my SR9 eats anything and everything with never an issue.

I've shot it at FNS a few times and it always performs well. Congrats to your son! Maybe one of these days there will be 2 SR9s in the unlimited class!

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The UMC Remington 250 round bulk pack I bought ONCE was a total pile of crap. (yellow box).

Every 9mm pistol I own choked on it every 5 rounds or so... slide never locked back either.

Other than that, pretty much everything else works fine. :dunno:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I haven't fired my c yet,but my SR9 eats anything and everything with never an issue.

Our 2 SR9's will also eat anything we've run thru them. Totally 100% reliable. Both have had about 1500+ rounds ran thru them and we have NEVER a single issue with either one. You all can keep your Glocks.:D I'll keep my American made handgun thank you.:patriot:

As far as consistancy/accuracy our 2 SR9's like 155 gr ammo better than 124 or 147 gr.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I have put 300 round thru mine. Federal, Remington UMC, Winchester White Box all purchased at walmart. I have only had one problem, a failure to eject the gun was new and very tight which may have caused the problem. I have read where other people have had problems with UMC ammo this was the ammo that I had a failure to eject with. I carry 115gr Hornady Critical Defence .:draw:

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I've put about 400 rounds for UMC (yellow box) through mine without any issues. I've also run Federal Eagles, Federal HST's, and Speer Gold Dots through it without any hiccups.

From all the reviews I've read and my own experience, I don't think they are particularly picky.

Use whatever FMJ you find the best deal on for target practice.

I personally like Federal HST and Speer Gold Dots for carry. You can find both of these at Ammunition To Go online here:
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go.

Or Tactical Defense Solutions:
    Tactical Defense Solutions LLC - Federal Tactical LEO

I've ordered from both several times without issue.

Grill Kracker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Gary IN
    I had that UMC yellow box in my hand today and put it back for the 100 round Remington 115 gr. I knew that box was sketchy. My SR9c has never had an issue with the cheap Federal ammo at the range.

Last edited:

Sr9cace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Just bought my sr9c at Indy trading post last week and put about 200 AE 147g and 100 federal 115 grain. Had no problems with any of them at all. I love the gun trigger is so nice. Does anyone know where I can get some zombie max? And cheapest gun range to go?

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    I've put a case of blazer and probably half a case of assorted other rounds, including reloads, through my SR9c and I've never had any hang-ups with it. As far as ammo goes, it will eat anything you feed it.

I keep Speer Gold Dot in my carry magazine and Federal Guard Dog in the spare magazine when I'm just in the house.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Steel, aluminum, brass, HP, round nose, you name it. 2200 rounds thru mine, and it eats everything I've put in it.

Only problems I have ever had is two stove pipes, both occurred using Winchester white box, and both rounds came from the same box.

Sr9cace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Talon grips just came in for my sr9c. Looks very slick and feels great in my hands. Can't wait to shoot with the new grips. Does anyone have any recommendation on IWB holster specifically for sr9c? I have been looking at Bravo conceal holster. Anyone know anything about them or have a holster from them?

Top Bottom