Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
    Just had a thought... the wax slug is more efficient because the wax makes a seal on the bore, and no gas blows past it. Wax slugs probably have a greater range than deer slugs simply because of this. It would also protect the inside of the barrel from rust the way the wax on your car does. Nothing like a 300MPH polish followed by a 300 degree bake-on.
    Yup! Did you see him show the bore of that shotgun afterwards?

yea, but he also said that the 6-7" grouping that he got was unusually accurate.
    I must have missed that! I'll check that out when I get a chance.

Granted, at 100 yards, anything COM is good with a shot like that, but anything that makes it MORE accurate is better, right? Imagine getting a 1-2" grouping at that range. If I could get them dead accurate at 100yds, I'd never buy anything but a 12ga. and a 9mm. No need for a rifle if you can make your shotgun as accurate with more force.
    What did you think of my idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    One thing I thought of was making the front heavier than the back by filling the last half inch with wax, letting it harden, then filling the rest of the shell with shot and wax.

Shooter

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1C8a6ZDISQ

Not me but i thought id share.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know if it would be legal to hunt with in Indiana?

User Info Menu

What did you think of my idea?
    I don't know enough about physics, but I would think that if you weighted it unevenly without reshaping it, you'd wind up having a round that tumbles. Either that or it would fragment due to the uneven consistency.

Just my non-expert opinion.

as for whether they are legal... buckshot is legal... deer slugs are legal... buckshot slugs are... I don't think they are specifically illegal because it would count as a self-loaded round. They aren't specifically legal though.
    When the time has come to bury your guns, the time has come to dig them up. ~Anon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
    I don't know enough about physics, but I would think that if you weighted it unevenly without reshaping it, you'd wind up having a round that tumbles. Either that or it would fragment due to the uneven consistency.

Just my non-expert opinion.
    I just know that most slugs are designed to be heavier in the front

User Info Menu

I just know that most slugs are designed to be heavier in the front
    they're also shaped aerodynamically. I really don't know enough about ballistic physics to answer that, I was just guessing.
    When the time has come to bury your guns, the time has come to dig them up. ~Anon.

User Info Menu

Well, I got a chance to fire off the 10 wax slugs that I made yesterday. Unfortunatly, ever single one of them behaved as a regular target load. I'm thinking the scented candle wax contains way too much oil to hold up to the blast.

The good news though, the range smelled great!

Next time I'm out and about I'm going to find some gulf wax and see if that will hold up better.

Shooter

User Info Menu

you can see where the wax slug hit the rest of the holes were from a .22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by badmac183 View Post
    you can see where the wax slug hit the rest of the holes were from a .22
    What are those made of? About what distance did you shoot them from?

Shooter

User Info Menu

its made of thin steel. it shot one handed within 5 yards with a 18 inch barrel i would have shot from farther away but I didnt have a buttstock on my 12 gauge.

Last edited by badmac183; 06-22-2011 at 19:09.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast