• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    After researching numerous forums on the issue of shipping ammo, and making a call to UPS, I ventured today to the UPS hub in Owensboro, KY to get a price on shipping some ammo to another INGO member. I was thoroughly ready for the encounter with printed pages off UPS' website and their hazardous materials group phone number.

It was all for nothing. Went into the station and was greeted by a nice lady. Laid out my bag of ammo and told her I was there to get an idea of what the ammo would cost to ship. She weighed it, took the zip code to where it was going, said it would take two days on land and gave a quote but said to add about $2 more for the box, which I didn't have. Totally shocked at this point by the pleasant encounter, I thought I would test the boundaries and asked "isn't there some type of sticker that has to go on it?" She reached down and revealed a roll of ORM-D stickers and said she would put one on it and label it Cartridges Small Arms.

The only question she asked was "how many rounds (yes, she actually used the word "rounds") are there? I told and went ahead and said they were 32 caliber. She said, "no problem."

Just because it seems I always have to take extra measures, I asked her if she was the only one that worked at this station and when I came back to ship if she would be the one I would be dealing with. She said, "I don't go on vacation till September, and I'm the only one doing this until then."

Sweet.:rockwoot:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Evansville hub just off Diamond Avenue is similar. I have shipped lots of ammo and probably half a dozen firearms and never had a single issue.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Good encounter, however, since I work at UPS I have to ask... why the ORM-D sticker for ammo? And why the extra $2 a box? Unless the extra money was for weight (probably not since she weighed it and gave you the price already) then the extra $2 was for the ORM-D sticker, which is actually used for chemicals and other materials that could escalate a fire. The ORM-D sticker means we cannot put them on an airplane, so unless it was going over-seas or to Hawaii or Puerto Rico, there was no need for it.

Just a heads up for next time. You don't need the sticker if it's going ground and within the continental US. ;)

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    UPS hub in Centerville, IN is great also. I just shipped a handgun from there 2 days ago. Lady working there was great to deal with. She even tracked a package that I was waiting on.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Yes you do. UPS requires this and every shipment of ammo I have ever received or sent has had it.

Well then they are charging people extra for no reason. I've ordered from ammotogo, Midway, and Sportsmansguide. No ORM-D sticker on those boxes. Not only that, but I've seen plenty of people come into my hub and ship ammo and firearms and their boxes do not contain a sticker of any sort. No hazmat, no ORM-D. The reason is because the powder is enclosed within the cartridge. If the powder is outside it's a hazmat (obviously). ORM-D is for items such as cologne, perfume, etc, which can be flammable, but not hazardous.

I've worked there for 4 years, this is the first I've even heard of ORM-D on ammo. If you want to pay the extra money for it, go for it. I'm not going to argue, I just want to let the OP know that next time he doesn't need the ORM-D label. She never would have charged him the extra money for the label had he not said something.

Edit: Think about it... if ammo needed an ORM-D, then how would the military ship it by plane over-seas? Or how does the imported ammo come here? Remember... ORM-D is not allowed on an aircraft per federal law. ;)

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Well then they are charging people extra for no reason. I've ordered from ammotogo, Midway, and Sportsmansguide. No ORM-D sticker on those boxes. Not only that, but I've seen plenty of people come into my hub and ship ammo and firearms and their boxes do not contain a sticker of any sort. No hazmat, no ORM-D. The reason is because the powder is enclosed within the cartridge. If the powder is outside it's a hazmat (obviously). ORM-D is for items such as cologne, perfume, etc, which can be flammable, but not hazardous.

I've worked there for 4 years, this is the first I've even heard of ORM-D on ammo. If you want to pay the extra money for it, go for it. I'm not going to argue, I just want to let the OP know that next time he doesn't need the ORM-D label. She never would have charged him the extra money for the label had he not said something.

Edit: Think about it... if ammo needed an ORM-D, then how would the military ship it by plane over-seas? Or how does the imported ammo come here? Remember... ORM-D is not allowed on an aircraft per federal law. ;)

It's required by 49 C.F.R. § 172. DOD shipped ammo has separate exemptions. Imported ammo is usually by ship cargo container I would think.

ORMDLabel.gif

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    It's required by 49 C.F.R. § 172. DOD shipped ammo has separate exemptions. Imported ammo is usually by ship cargo container I would think.

ORMDLabel.gif

If this is the case then our clerk needs to be brushed up on things. :laugh: I just shipped my uncle some of my reloads today, no ORM-D fee or sticker went on the box :dunno: But at least it saved me some money I guess.

Edit: I'm getting ready to leave for work right now. I'll ask the center manager about this to clear it up. Maybe they put the sticker on it after I left before it goes on the belt, but I know my last order with Sportsmansguide didn't have an ORM-D sticker on it. It had 2 boxes of ammo with it. The other 2 orders I may have just not noticed it, but that box is still in my garage and I just checked it out.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    And we're back!!!

The extra $2 was just her guess for the size box I would be using- not the sticker. Turned out she was within 20cents of her quote to me.

Snorko and Carmel are right. I've used the Owensboro and Jasper centers, both wanted the sticker.

Now, I will say this. When I was at the Jasper center they said some new reg held that you had to bring your own sticker or copy of ORM-D. I didn't have one, but thankfully they had just thrown a whole roll of them in the trash and I snagged one that way. BUT, when I went back to Owensboro on another shipment, they still had the stickers, free of charge.

Moral of this story- if in my part of the woods, use Owensboro for all ammo and gun shipping needs. Avoid Jasper.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Well, according to my center manager, ammo is only regarded as ORM-D if it:
    a) Contains Black Powder
    or
    b) Is more than 10 pounds

That would be why my Sportsmansguide box didn't have one, and why my 20 .308 rounds that I shipped to my uncle didn't need it.

Hope this helps for future reference. :) All-in-all, I don't think ORM-D costs more, you just have to have the sticker, and all UPS centers will have them at the customer counter. We carry rolls and rolls of them along with "heavy package" tape, and other shipping labels. Should also be free of charge according to him.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    And we're back!!!

The extra $2 was just her guess for the size box I would be using- not the sticker. Turned out she was within 20cents of her quote to me.

Snorko and Carmel are right. I've used the Owensboro and Jasper centers, both wanted the sticker.

Now, I will say this. When I was at the Jasper center they said some new reg held that you had to bring your own sticker or copy of ORM-D. I didn't have one, but thankfully they had just thrown a whole roll of them in the trash and I snagged one that way. BUT, when I went back to Owensboro on another shipment, they still had the stickers, free of charge.

Moral of this story- if in my part of the woods, use Owensboro for all ammo and gun shipping needs. Avoid Jasper.

Brother,
    I take all my stuff to Ferdinand, never any issue, the people are great there. It is out of the back of True Value Hardware.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Well, according to my center manager, ammo is only regarded as ORM-D if it:
    a) Contains Black Powder
    or
    b) Is more than 10 pounds

That would be why my Sportsmansguide box didn't have one, and why my 20 .308 rounds that I shipped to my uncle didn't need it.

Who buys less than 10 pounds of ammo at a time? Commie!

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    Nope, since the powder is securely enclosed there is no need for a hazmat fee... doesn't make sense to me either since they charge one for buying a pound of powder, but I guess the law is the law whether it makes sense or not

Order some brass and primers, Hazmat required. Order brass with primers installed, no Hazmat.:dunno:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Order some brass and primers, Hazmat required. Order brass with primers installed, no Hazmat.:dunno:

Hazmat would most likely still be required since the front of the brass isn't closed off with a bullet. Not sure where you'd find brass with primers already seated, but give it a try and find out.:dunno:

As I stated before, it doesn't make any sense to me why there is a hazmat fee on primers and powder, but not on ammo, or why there's not one on ammo, but there is one on powder and primers. Wish it didn't have to be, but I understand coming from a safety perspective.

websbydoc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2018
    Scottsburg
    Went to Whittaker guns to restock on 9mm and .380 ammo.
    found some good deals....9mm for $10/50 rounds and .380 for $11/50 rounds.....

great deals......loaded up my cart, fully expecting free shipping.....and in
    my cart not only am i going to be charged 9.99 for shipping but $28.50
    more in something called federal hazardous charges......this now doubles
    my cost....

I bought some .45 ammo just this last March, 2018....no shipping, no feds

whats the deal?......federal hazardous charges?...... something new to deal with?

Jay:dunno:

Top Bottom