• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duhblow7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Been wondering what the meanest .22 round is...My vote is the segmented...I think it's called game shok, but I don't fully recall.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    At 1640 fps (max velocity from a rifle), the CCI Stinger .22lr is one bad ### round. I have not seen a .22lr round that has as much energy at impact. I'd like to know if one exists though. If I were using a 22lr handgun for SD, this would be my bullet of choice.

22lrpistoballisticgellee8.jpg

Various .22lr loads in 10% gel from a Walther P22. The over achieving round in this picture exited the gel at 15.8" and was the slightly slower CCI Velociter.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Depends on what's being shot at.

You're thinking of Quik Shok by CCI.

If it's a larger critter, the Velocitor is a high velocity 40gr round that has a bullet based on the Gold Dot.

Josh <><

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    At 1640 fps (max velocity from a rifle), the CCI Stinger .22lr is one bad ### round. I have not seen a .22lr round that has as much energy at impact. I'd like to know if one exists though. If I were using a 22lr handgun for SD, this would be my bullet of choice.

22lrpistoballisticgellee8.jpg

Various .22lr loads in 10% gel from a Walther P22. The over achieving round in this picture exited the gel at 15.8" and was the slightly slower CCI Velociter.
    Agreed ...and the little walther loves the stuff :)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The one that hits its target in the eyeball.

I think I would aim for the throat. Hoping to get a spine shot but either artery would be nearly as good. Low armour or clothing interference. Spine is a much larger target than an eye.

duhblow7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Quik Shok....that's it. I plan on trying those and probably the stingers this weekend....if it warms up. I don't know if I've seen the Velocitor anywhere. Who carries them?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Quik Shok....that's it. I plan on trying those and probably the stingers this weekend....if it warms up. I don't know if I've seen the Velocitor anywhere. Who carries them?

I've seen Velocitor both the local gunstores and at Dunham's.

I don't think Walmart carries them, but I could be wrong. I tend to be against Walmart and don't go there often.

I have not had good accuracy results with the Quik Shok (32grs I believe) and have therefore relegated them to my kit revolver. Shots will not be long from it and hopefully the light weight and frangible nature of the bullet will help it to deform from a 5" barrel.

My "squirrel sniper" really loves the cheapest stuff out there, putting three proof shots into one hole at 50 yards with Winchester Xpert. I see no reason to go more expensive with those results!

As well, when it comes to squirrels, the Xpert really does a number on them. If these things are not pure lead, they're awfully close. Huge hollowpoint as well. They remind me of miniature SWCHP that is so popular in .38spl revolvers.

Every squirrel I've hit with this round has died with minimal thrashing, even with less-than-optimal shot placement. That huge squirrel I took a while back just sort of fell over - the spine was hit - and there was a .20" entrance hole, but a .30" exit hole (I measured).

Curiously, there was not much meat damage.

On the other hand, I would expect massive meat damage from the Quik Shok as it's designed to come apart. I also would not expect an exit wound - I think the bullet would stay in the squirrel.

I don't know what I'd expect from the Velocitor. Given reports from its performance on animals larger than squirrel - raccoon and coyote, mainly - it achieves maximum expansion much deeper than a squirrel is thick, and I'd guess it would act as a high speed .22 with a truncated nose. I honestly think these would be a waste on squirrel and rabbit, anything smaller than a 'possum.

Sometimes newer isn't always better ;)

Josh <><

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    The first groundhog I ever shot was with a 10/22 and Stingers. Crack---Thud!! Does a great job.
    I've used QuikShok as well, they segment and will anchor small game pretty quick. Accuracy for me has been iffy with this round.
    Velocitors are great from my Remington 597. These are also very deadly on small game.
    The SGB was designed with a flat (meplat)? so there was more surface area striking the critter and less damage to meat. So I've been told, anyway.
    My CZ 452 really likes the XPert. I like the aggresive hollowpoint.
    Don'y count out the American Eagle HP. Nice round, but sometimes feeding problems in semi-autos due to the short bullet length.
    I think the fastest .22lr round is a Aquila Supermaximum. I want them to work in my guns but not good accuarcy. These things scream.

Now is a great time to own a .22... Lots of good choices in guns, plentiful ammo, and a whole lot of fun for less money than a centerfire.

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hey Josh,

You have any experience with the SGB by CCI?? They were being touted as a good small game round when they came out. :dunno:

CLICKY ----> MidwayUSA - CCI SGB Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Truncated Cone Box of 50
    :cheers:

Hello,

No, not with this brand.

I tried another brand many years ago. I think it may have been Hornady, but I don't remember for sure. It gave very acceptable performance.

Bear in mind that velocity has a lot to do with it. Before I switched to the Winchester, I was using Remington Golden Bullets and Remington subsonic.

The subsonic was cast too hard and the hollowpoint would not open either in water or on game. I figured it would be roughly equivalent to a flat nose.

I shot a squirrel with it. It went "thunk" as it impacted something.

The squirrel jumped to another limb.

I'll be damned!

I reach over and work the bolt (lefty here) and take aim again. "Snap, thunk." The squirrel stood there for a second on the branch, then fell.

I walked over to it, and it was still alive. I took out my hatchet to behead it and end its misery, but it expired as I was unsheathing.

Post mortem revealed two hits to the chest cavity! No expansion, just two through and through hits.

Either hit with a supersonic round would have anchored the thing right there. But it was still jumping from branch to branch after the first shot.

BUT, looking at the specs from the SGB, since it's supersonic, I would expect it to do more damage and be about right for squirrel out to 50 yards or so, esp if you can be sure of precise bullet placement and/or headshots.

If you try this stuff, please report back. As I said, the truncated supersonic stuff I've used in the past worked acceptably, and I don't doubt the CCI would do any differently.

Josh <><

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Meh, you all beat me too it! I was going to say the shot that hits the eye or temple, but whatever's clever I guess!

Come to think of it, any shot to the skull that rattles around a bit would be good....

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I think I would aim for the throat. Hoping to get a spine shot but either artery would be nearly as good. Low armour or clothing interference. Spine is a much larger target than an eye.

Given that the .22 caliber round kills more Americans than any other (by a wide margin), I'm guessing that all those "naked" people are getting hit in the eye or spine. Wow! We are a nation of sharp shots!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    FWIW, Remington Yellow Jackets have been the most reliable in terms of quick kills on small and medium game animals in my experience. YMMV if your desired application is different.

Top Bottom