• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    do you guys lube all your primers i was lubing every one and it was taking forever so i did a few with no lube and had no problems so my question is is it nessessary to lube all and is there a better was to do it than putting it on your finger and rubbing it on my lube pad isn't here yet

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Don't lube your primers.

And go get a bullet puller :) ... it's a good bet none of the ammo you've loaded with lubed primes will go "bang."

And if they do go bang, the primers are likely to back out, I'd imagine. Never lubed primers, so I'm not sure what they'd do, to be honest.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    good to know i thought it was odd to be lubing them but i just double cheaked and thats what my primer says to do. i dont have any bullets in them yet so can i just fire them and deprime the case?

thanks fellas

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Your primer says to lube them?

I've never heard of such, but wait a bit to see what others say. I could be crazy, and I don't know it all!!

You can just decap them with your resizing die. Wear eye protection as always.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I have never heard of lubing primers. I have heard of sealing them with after being seated with clear nail polish, but not lubing them to seat them.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok, I'm sorta confused as to what you actually did.

Now did you clean/prime the cases, and then lube them, and got some of it on the primers? Or did you dump a pack of primers on your lube pad and roll them around? If so, why would you do such a silly thing?

You said the primers (I assume the packaging) said to lube them. What brand are we talking about here?

Now let's assume that for whatever reason that you lubed the primers themselves. Did you get any of the lube into the cup (the open end) of the primer? If so, they're probably worthless. Or did you just get a bit of extra lube on the primer once it had been seated in the case? In that case, it shouldn't be a big deal, it's more important to not get the lube inside the case, where it will contaminate the powder.

Here's and interesting link about oil and primers.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i put a drop of lube on my finger and rubbed it in the hole for the primer i didnt fill it i put a small small amount on the end of the case im using brand new unfired cases so i didn't lube them at all

my primers did not say lube them my hand primers said to

if you cant tell im 100% new to this ive never even seen it done

thanks for all your help

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Never lube primers! I would just about bet you have a Lee auto prime hand primer. If so, just as with most everything Lee discard the literature as it is all poor to terible. The load data is downright dangerous! Get a good manual or 2 if you don't have any. Lyman, Sierra, Hornady, etc. If you already have some, STOP what you are doing until you read them and understand them. Absolutely no manual will tell you to lube primers. Again, never lube primers and YES, put these already fouled cases in your gun, outside, and snap the caps, Resize them and recap them after they've been properly cleaned of contamination.

Oil contamination will at least temporarily kill primers as stated in the link provided by JByer323 although if allowed to dry out on their own for a few days to a few months they will again become functional.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    If I may, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of ABC's of Reloading. It's a very easy to understand format, and talks about everything from basic loading, up to primers on loading for CAS and Benchrest competitions.

I don't have this new edition, but I think I'll honestly pick it up. If you don't have them, make sure you pick up at least one, preferably two or three reloading manuals, and read them, as Old Syko recommended. I like Speer and Hornady.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Never lube primers! I would just about bet you have a Lee auto prime hand primer. If so, just as with most everything Lee discard the literature as it is all poor to terible. The load data is downright dangerous! Get a good manual or 2 if you don't have any. Lyman, Sierra, Hornady, etc. If you already have some, STOP what you are doing until you read them and understand them. Absolutely no manual will tell you to lube primers. Again, never lube primers and YES, put these already fouled cases in your gun, outside, and snap the caps, Resize them and recap them after they've been properly cleaned of contamination.

Oil contamination will at least temporarily kill primers as stated in the link provided by JByer323 although if allowed to dry out on their own for a few days to a few months they will again become functional.

yes it is a lee auto primer i have 2 reloading manuals i have the new hornady and barnes i have read both but to be honest my head was swiming through both so im trying to just read what im about to do i got my load data from the barnes and hornady books and websites so im confident in what im going to try if i get to that part but im going slow so i dont screw it up (i guess not slow enough)

thanks for the help im sure you folks will get momre questions that make you say "noone can be this dumb" but im as new as it gets

so tomorow i will fire my primers off and resize cases and clean cases and continue as planned i really appriciate all the help i wouldn't even attempt this is i didn't have you guys to ask dumb questions esspecially old syko hes answered most of my questions over the last month or so

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Even oil from your fingers can conyaminate primers. I never even touch them. I know how you feel about being somewhat confused, I am fairly new to reloading as well. I read Lyman manual 47th edition at least 2 times until I understood it before I even had any equipment.
    Reloading can be anything from rocket science (at least for me) to cranking out cheaper but less accurate than surplus ammo. I have been trying to get some really accurate rounds produced. I have a nice 60 V-max load that is really impressive, for me 20 shots in 3/4" at 100yrds several different trips to the range. I have been trying to get some 65grn pills to shoot good, but have failed so far with over 160 attempts. Best to date has been this morning with a couple 5 shot groups getting down to 2.5".
    What I am trying to say is to not get discouraged and keep reading. It is an actual challenge to get some of this stuff to work. But once you take your first rounds to the range and have no problems and they shoot decent you will feel a rush of accomplishment. I do believe reloading/handloading is as much a hobby as shooting is. I know I enjoy it as such.

What caliber are you reloading? Are you using a known load that will show good results.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Potentially CAREFULLY lubing your PRIMER, not primers is the key here. Also, what are you priming? Stupid question but gotta ask it. I have actually met guys that claimed they would not load .223 anymore because they were tired of the primers deforming or blowing up in their faces (not realizing they forgot to or didnt know to remove the primer crimp on military brass).

Also, if you are loading S&B brass, they have slightly smaller primer pockets, which make it a LITTLE (some will disagree, but I dont see how it is "harder" to load S&B brass) harder to press in primers, but not impossible and without deforming them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im loading a 243 and im not using a load known to be accurate im just going off what other prohunter shooters recomended to me on thefiringline.com im using norma brass and my first load when i get that far will be 80gr barnes tsxx with 42 gr of h414 everyone ive talked to said they had the best luck with 45 gr of powder but i want to work my way up to that if nessassery since im in no hurry and want my load to be perfect the gun is sub moa with factory ammo so i wont be happy until i get under .5 moa i dont care how long it takes or how many barrels i burn up testing honestly i think testing will be half the fun

im just really ammazed at what goes into making it right like how necon has great success with 60 gr bullets and none with 65 i would have never guessed 5 gr of bullet would widen your group like that until i started reserching the subject

Top Bottom