• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    Anybody have any experience with DPX 9mm +P? Its all copper hollow point 115g. Box says 1250fps and 399ft/lbs. I was going to give it a try in my G19. Was at Cabela's earlier.....I cleaned out the last couple boxes of their 9mm stuff.:popcorn:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I know quite a few people who carry 115gr DPX in their G19s.

It's on my short list of Defensive ammo I'm willing to carry. Currently carrying Hornady, but a box or three of DPX will most likely be moved into my rotation.

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    Thank you sir...it was EXPENSIVE TOO! I bought only 1 box..it was all they had. They wanted $31.00 for 20 rounds of the stuff.:eek:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have not used or tested it myself. However, the DTI crew (John Farnam and his assistants) have done a lot of testing of the DPX ammo for penetration, expansion, etc., including shooting through different kinds of glass, car doors, and other types of barriers.

Their results show the DPX to be the best penetrator through just about everything and it still expands reliably after passing through barriers. It can't shed its jacket because it does not have one (it's a solid copper projectile).

For pistol calibers, they should probably be considered one of if not the first choice for defensive use (based on DTI and associates testing). The other "best choice" would be whatever bonded core jacketed hollow point functions 100% in your gun and gives you good accuracy too (like Gold Dots, HST, the bonded version of the Golden Saber, etc.).

I have a couple of boxes of the 53gr .223 that I got as a prize at a match. I'm keeping them "in reserve" in case I need to shoot through something with my AR someday.

Bart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Seymour
    I can’t speak specifically for the 9mm DPX but if you carry a .38/.357 snubby I would highly recommend the DPX ammo. Tactical Response did some ballistic gelatin testing that I was witness too and the DPX ammo was the only ammo that reliably expanded when fired from a short barreled revolver. I’m pretty sure the other calibers of DPX ammo performed as well as the .38/.357.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Funny thing is that it is probably they are probably the only rounds that are cheaper to buy them loaded then to use the component bullet. The component bullets only come 20-50 (rifle stuff is 50-100) and damn near $1 per bullet (no powder, primer, case, etc...).

That Barnes stuff is expensive!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I just read an article in Combat Handguns magazine about the best loads for a Glock 22. The author really liked the DPX in the Glock, especially for accuracy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are two versions of Golden Sabers? How do you tell the difference?

I don't know if there is any difference in stock numbers. The current version (and there have been several; also consider that the Golden Saber is a descendant of the original Black Talon projectile) has something called a "Driving Band," which is their method of bonding the lead core to the jacket.

Remington Golden Saber HPJ

If you see Golden Sabers at prices lower than you expect, they might be old stock.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Plus 1, The bonded forms are a little better about shedding their jacket. They have always had the "driving band" since I can remember, however, the bonding of the lead to the brass jacket is new as damn near everyone's testing of the older stuff had the jacket shedding in every +p form of the round.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I got some DPX ammo off mrw awhile back... since then I've bought a lot of it wherever I can find it. Now I use it in all my handguns. The hollow point is one wicked looking hollow point.. which I'd hate to be on the receiving end of.

DPX and HST is the only ammo I want for personal defense anymore.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    DPX is good stuff. Barnes sells the bullets as components so you can handload your own for much cheaper.

Top Bottom