• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im sure im wearing out my welcome with some of you on reloading questions but here is my next

ive always heard and have no clue if its true that after you shoot a case through your gun that your next is more accurate because it forms your case to your specific gun if this is the case why do we resize the case?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    True if you have a neck resizing die. If your dies resize the full case length then your case will not remained formed to your gun's chamber.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so i would be better off to only resize the neck correct i bought a lee deluxe 3 die set so i would assume i have a die that only does neck sizing correct im not to that point yet just trying to get some info before i get there

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    The lee 3-die rifle sets include a full length sizing die, collet neck sizing die and bullet seating die. Use the neck sizing die from now on, providing the fire-formed brass will fit in your chamber after the neck resize.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Important to keep in mind that this is gun specific also. If you have two .243's make sure you label your ammo and shoot the same fire formed brass in the same gun. Just because you fire form in a .243 doesn't make it good for a different .243.

Full lenght resize the first time you shoot if you plan to shoot in a different gun.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    right now im only shooting one 243 and only reloading one calaber to ease confusion until i get more confedent thanks though and keep advise comming NOTHING is to obvious to think "im sure he knows that" (outside dont fire a 243 in a 300 win mag) wich i made obvious with my lubing primer deal but if thats the biggest mistake i make ill be pretty happy

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    The only way you would need to full length resize is if you were using it in an semi auto. Bolt actions are best to be neck sized only. Semiautos do need to be full length resized every time. The neck sizing will make your brass last much longer too because you are not working the brass near as much.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    At some point you will still have to full length size as the brass will grow enough after a few firings, probably 5 or six, depending on the chosen load, as to make it too hard to chamber. With a bolt gun the bolt allows enough leverage to cam over a tight round, but even so they will still have to be full length sized at some point. With average loads, the rule of thumb is to trim to length and full length size after about 5 firings provided they were trimmed .010 under max after the initial firing.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Once the neck has been sized, after firing, try to reinsert a couple rounds into the chamber and close the action. Then with the gun pointing in a safe direction cock the hammer to assure it will lock into place. With the Encore it is possible for the action to appear to close properly but not allow the action to lock the hammer into a full cock position. At some point the action will become hard to lock into place or the hammer will not set properly. That is when you will want to full length size.

You should never see hard extraction. Hard extraction is a sign of overpressure from an unsafe load.

Top Bottom