• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've heard LeveRevolution is good stuff, then I heard it's a waste of money. They wouldn't elaborate on either.

So what's some good lever gun ammo? Hornaday looks like some fairly cost effective stuff, but what would be good for a long range shooter with a 30-30?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Who told you it was a waste of money? Some internet nerd or gunstore commando? I have personally seen .44 mag LeveRevolution ammo do some spectacular accuracy results at 50 yards, damn near through the same hole, with a cheap H&R single shot rifle. Its going to be the best from a .30-30 without single loading pointed rounds that are handloaded.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm a happy Marlin owner. What I don't own are pictures.:rolleyes: Marlin 444P is my favorite.

Scopes don't belong on lever guns. JMHO

Leverevolution ammo were designed as a cure for a problem that never existed. i.e. waste of money. They shoot just fine but are no better than what already existed.:twocents:

I'm going to be getting a couple boxes when I trade my shotty for this nice Marlin and just wanted to know how good it was and what other ammo would be good?

BTW, I plan on taking this Marlin to Appleseed which is why I'm asking! :D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i shot 1.5 groups at 100yds with 160 leverrevelution out of a marlin 30 aw gun that lives in the truck or tractor i shot a coyote a few days ago with it in the back of the head and can vouch for the expansion it made a mess but it wasn't a long shot but i would be comfortable shooting 300 with it but i have a ballistic recticle scope on the gun wich i dont like i liked my 30-30 open sites because most my shots with it are 75 yd max but its dads gun and he wanted a scope because we started using leverrevelution and the ballistics are much better than the corlokt we usto use just my:twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I would not buy LeverEvolution again, simply because of a VERY nasty jam I had with my 1894C. While feeding, the round that was supposed to have been chambered had the tip get stuck under the next round in the magazine. This left a round half in the magazine, and half on the elevator on it's way to the chamber.. I couldn't get the lever closed, couldn't get it all the way open. Ended up having to take a screwdriver, wedge it under the rim of the jammed round, and pry it out, which took some time.

It was very, very accurate, but I couldn't bring myself to trust a round that could tie a gun up like that.

I am, however, a big fan of Hornady XTP ammo.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    150-200 yards, anything will be pretty decent.

Accuracy always seemed better with the 170's for me.

Is this Marlin a microgroove barrel or newer(or pre 1950's) conventional rifling?

If you subscribe to Precision Shooting Magazine, there was an article 5-7 years ago about a fellow loading Matchkings (single shot use only) in his Marlin, and was exhibiting unbelievable accuracy out to 600+, without much load development.

One of these cold days, I'll go try to dig it out, it was an interesting read.

Watch Midway closely, they often have the Leverevolution bullets in as blemished, at about 1/2 price. I snagged a 1000 pieces of the 35's on Wednesday, before Hornady has even released them for sale.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Take a look here Midsouth AMMUNITION   CENTERFIRE RIFLE   30/30 WINCHESTER   BIG GAME for an example. $13 for Federal as opposed to 18 for LR = a $5 waste of money. Better yet buy a couple hundred of each and do a real comparison like many others have, myself included. Best acuracy and feeding reliability was with the Federal hands down. Those little plastic tips may catch your eye but they also catch feed ramps and other parts as one other poster has stated. I won't bother explaining the difference in the brass. If you were a handloader you wouldn't consider the LR to begin with.

I have personally seen .44 mag LeveRevolution ammo do some spectacular accuracy results at 50 yards, damn near through the same hole, with a cheap H&R single shot rifle.

Sounds like most any good quality cast slug to me. Nothing special.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    150-200 yards, anything will be pretty decent.

Accuracy always seemed better with the 170's for me.

Is this Marlin a microgroove barrel or newer(or pre 1950's) conventional rifling?

If you subscribe to Precision Shooting Magazine, there was an article 5-7 years ago about a fellow loading Matchkings (single shot use only) in his Marlin, and was exhibiting unbelievable accuracy out to 600+, without much load development.

One of these cold days, I'll go try to dig it out, it was an interesting read.

Watch Midway closely, they often have the Leverevolution bullets in as blemished, at about 1/2 price. I snagged a 1000 pieces of the 35's on Wednesday, before Hornady has even released them for sale.

It's a 30AW with a mircogrooved barrel. Not sure the difference on the grooves though. I found out the 30AW is the pre 336 but no one knows what the AW stands for. Someone said the W was for Walmart but I call BS on that one.

I did get three boxes of 30-30 Leverevolution with it. I can't wait to get to the range. If I didn't have kids to watch and had a plated vehicle I'd go tomorrow. I might go Sunday if SHE lets me! LOL Saturday is the Monster Jam. Ain't passing up free tickets!

Read a lot of good reviews about the Hornaday ammo. Apparently it's THE ammo to have for the 30-30. Shoots straight and holds out to 300 yrds. The box says I might need a new Mag follower in the tube for best function with the last bullet. It also says not to leave the gun loaded for extended periods as the tips will become deformed. I guess that's bad.

I want to see a picture of a gun some idiot loaded with regular FMJ! LOL

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    You hit on the LeveRoutions biggest thing: Improved ballistics at long range. While my aquaintence could not fire at a longer distance with his .44 single shot, I am certain it would have BETTER ballistics at longer ranges than a quality cast slug. I have a good friend/former co-worker that had the Marlin lever gun in .450 Marlin. Shooting at his friend's orchard, there is a marked difference between a cast slug and the LeveRoution stuff at 100-200 and even 300 yards. The cast slug was hitting the ground at 300 yards, the LeveRoution was still hitting the paper (albeit lower than the 100 yard POI).

.30-30 is a hell of a round, close and moderate ranges.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    From all the reviews I've read people say over and over that shooting their regular loads they weren't getting good groups at 100yrds. Then they switched to the Hornaday stuff and not only did they have to adjust their scopes and sights as they were shooting 9" high(!), but were shooting .5-1.5" MOA 3 shot groups. At 50 yrds they were shooting through the same hole.

Sounds impressive to me. I can't wait to get to the range.

Top Bottom