• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    An amax style bullet is going to perfom really badly in a subsonic loading and be a pretty expensive load for that low level of performance. Better results could be obtained from cheaper bullets. I'd be curious what your results will be. I've been loading mostly 150 gr flat base bullets so no help there.

garyaug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    how do you get 150s to cycle in a AR?
    Hornady sells the 208 AMax whisper and it performs great in my noveske but I have 7000 178gr tips I bought in a group buy many years ago

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    how do you get 150s to cycle in a AR?
    Hornady sells the 208 AMax whisper and it performs great in my noveske but I have 7000 178gr tips I bought in a group buy many years ago

Interesting! I wouldn't have thought they would have stabilized well and ended up tumbling. I learned something today! :) I can understand why you'd want to use the 178s, that's the same reason I'm using the 150gr Rem PSP, I have a buttload of them and am using them up. It's the same story with the powder I'm using: a friend gave me 20lbs of 1968 manufacture H110 and I've been running through it with the 300BLK and the .458 socom. The 150gr cycle just fine in my build (16"). Point in fact I have't had anything I've tried not cycle from 130gr to 200gr.

I shall watch this thread with interest.

garyaug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    you are not running those light bullets subsonic?
    Blackout is a 1:8 twist and designed to throw heavy bullets slow
    I built a Noveske and also have a GAP Whisper in an AICS stock

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    you are not running those light bullets subsonic?
    Blackout is a 1:8 twist and designed to throw heavy bullets slow
    I built a Noveske and also have a GAP Whisper in an AICS stock

Nope, running around 1850fps give or take.

I know it was designed for heavy bullets subsonic and to be suppressed, but I had an AR build laying around finished all but the barrel and bolt when I first learned of the 300blk and I don't have an SBR stamped lower and couldn't find a 8-10" barrel anywhere in stock for several months to pin an extended flash hider to. I went with the 16" since I lucked into getting one and figured if I didn't like the round I could easily sell the barrel since the supply was so short. It turned out I liked it. Now I'm fully set up for brass production and am cranking it out. Once I use up my 150gr that I bought years ago for plinking loads for my LR308 I'm going to play around with casting my own 200-220gr bullets for the 300blk.

My long term goal is a shorter barrel and suppressor for varmint control around the ranch since the last time I shot a raccoon off my porch late at night it made my ears ring for a day. An AR from inside the house is LOUD.

Top Bottom