• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    ordering a press to reload some 9mm and 45 and would like some advice. Are Rainier Ballistics bullets any good? If no which ones for a good deal and halfway accurate? CCI or Winchester primmers? Accurate or Hodgdon power? and which number on either? Getting realoading book to help with measurements.

So I am wanting to reload for two thoughts. First to have some ammo I made to shoot with and as i get a hang of the reloading try to dial in some ammo better accuracy.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Are Rainier Ballistics bullets any good?
    I've never used them, but they're pretty expensive for a plated lead bullet. For jacketed bullets, better deals can be had from Precision Delta (Welcome to Precision Delta Corporations Official Site) or Montana Gold Bullet Inc (Montana Gold Bullet, Incorporated - Kalispell, Montana). Zero bullets are also relatively cheap and the quality is excellent (Shooters Connection). For cast bullets, there are many small companies to choose from. I've been ordering from SNS casting (Cast Bullets Home) for the past year.

CCI or Winchester primmers?
    CCI tend to be a little larger and harder to seat, and tend to take a little more primer strike to go off, but both primers will do.

Accurate or Hodgdon power?
    You'll need a reloading book for help here. It depends on your application.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I have done a few thousand Rainer in both 9mm and .40, and I really disliked them. If I remember correctly, there were vey few powders recommended for loads, and I did not get good accuracy from them. Shifted to lead roundnose for plinking. They seemed to be easier to load and much easier on the checkbook.

As to primers, I have had good luck with the Wolf primers for plinking ammo, but I prefer CCI, usually Milsurp since most of what I shoot recommends a harder primer. I just do not recommend Remington. I seem to get more failed ignitions with them.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've not tried Ranier, but was planning on getting some Berry's plated bullets to shoot through my .40 cal Kel-Tec SUB 2K's. Near the cost of lead but hopefully less fouling. As to primers, I've used Winchesters for many thousands of rounds of all types/sizes and have always been happy with them. For the 9mm and .45 acp, you will want a faster burning powder like Bull's Eye or Red Dot. I've used several pounds of both as well as Unique for many of my pistol rounds. Definately get a couple of good reloading books like Lee's and Lyman's Hadloading Manual for good advice on reloading and you can also look up load data on most powder manufacturer's websites.

Doug K

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Where is a good place to get power in INdy

Where are good places to pick up powder and primers in Indy. Is Gander MTN overpriced on that stuff also?

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'd recommend that you buy and read The ABC's of Reloading. It's going to give you a good grasp of the basics and some advanced techniques as well. It's also going to give you a good grasp of primers and powders, and explain some of their ideal uses.

After that, get a reloading manual or six. At least two. I really like Speer and Hornady.

Gander Mountain blows when it comes to primers. They never have anything remotely close to what I want, so I just order mine online, 5,000 or so at a time. Adds a little cost maybe, but they're cheaper, and it's worth the $20 fee to not have to deal with Gander Mountain. Powders there are ok, a little bit overpriced, but I usually get mine there because it's convenient.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Bob Cheek at Plainfield Shootign Supplies has powder and primers. His prices are not bad, and he's usually got a good stock on hand. He also has some bullets, brass dies, etc. I've bought some powder at Gander Mtn, mainly if I'm in there and see it on sale, I get what I can. i did pick up a 4 lb can of Unique for a good price a few months back. Just have to get lucky with them!

Doug K

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have had real good luck with Rainer but another good plated bullet is Berry's Plus they are reasonably priced

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I was on the southside yesterday, so I hit Gander Mtn, no powder that I could use, (in fact the cabinet was bare) a couple of boxes of magnum rifle primers, and very few boxes of bullets. They have always s**ked on that score.

They did have some UMC 250 round packs of .40, at $110, and .45 acp from Win. and Blazer. Not for me.

Went to the Outdoorsman Shop after that, they had more powder and primers than Gander. Just not what I was looking for. Bullet selection was also very low.

Anyone have any H4895?

I will try PSS tommorrow.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I was on the southside yesterday, so I hit Gander Mtn
    They did have some UMC 250 round packs of .40, at $110, and .45 acp from Win. and Blazer. Not for me.

Not thread jack, but Wal-Mart has Winchester white box 100 round packs for right at $30. I know I bought three and one other small item and it was just over $100. I looked at the bag of 100 .40 cal 180 FMJ Winchester bullets (not cartridges, just bullets!) and I"d paid $21.99! I like loading my own, but not for a savings of .06 a round! I'm definately going to order soem Berry's to try out sometime soon.

Doug K

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Plated bullets (Rainier, Frontier, Berry's & Speer) really depend on gun and velocity. I know people who swear by them and get fantastic results in their guns and I know others who can't get them to shoot for anything in their guns.

Part of reloading is experimentation. You might need to load out, for example, a few 115 gr 9mm loads with Winchester, Montana, Rainier heads and see which does better for you out of your gun.. You will be amazed the difference that an extra/lesser 0.1 gr of powder or 0.01" of OAL or crimp will do for accuracy. In a lot of guns a loads, it literally will be difference between suck and "wow!!!."

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I use Rainer almost exclusively for range work. I've used 9mm, 38, 40 , 45 ACP and 44. Have also used their 45-70 bullets. Have used round nose, flat point, hollow point and wad cutters. Always work just fine. Just remember to follow their warning and not try to drive them to full magnum velocitys as it will strip the copper plating off. Ask me how I know. I use Rainer for my bowling pin loads and for shooting steel and paper. Even loaded up a bunch for the CX4 carbine in 40 S&W. The only porblem is they are not available locally and the freight for shipping lead can get expensive.

For powder and primers, go to Indiana Gun Club. They are out near Guiest Lake. They have the best prices around on powder and primers and try to stock all the popular brands. You might want to call first to be sure they have what you are looking for. It can be a long drive. Make time to look and dream over their selection of trap and skeet guns. Browning is their low price brand and it goes up form there.

Top Bottom