• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    First of I am new to reloading and still in the process of purchasing all the needed items to begin.

I guess my qestion is, are there particular things to look for when purchasing used equipment? ex. wear on dies, presses ect....

Any brands that do not hold up well in certain situations vs. other brands?

I personally purchased mostly lee items because there cheaper and I want to see if it is a wise investment vs. my time.

I dont know if this is a stupid qestion or not lol. :D

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It's not a stupid question. The biggest problem for you is that you aren't going to know how to evaluate the used reloading equipment. The best deals by far are on used equipment. On something like Dillon (with a lifetime warranty) you can be pretty confident buying used, but you may still not know what parts are supposed to be included versus what the guy selling it says is there. So, buy used if you are confident in your knowledge of the item, and your ability to deal with any issues.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    This forum is a great place to ask these questions. I am still new to Reloading and learn from these guys every day. That being said make friends among the members here and I am sure they won't mind helping you find the right equipment. I know I can make a few calls to members here and get questions answered.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just like rock hopper said, buying used reloading equipment is a double edged sword. If you buy all new stuff you've got a clean start, and you know everything is there. If you're buying used, then all bets are off. The cruel part is that when you're just starting to reload is the best time to make the savings of buying used equipment, which is also the time when you know the least about what you're buying.

The best advice I can give is that if you find something, post a link to it in this thread and we (experienced ingo reloaders) can throw out our opinions on what you're looking at.

I'll make one suggestion that a lot of people don't think about. When you're looking for additional brass, go to gunbroker.com and look for used brass. Lots of people sell brass that's only been shot once and it's typically half the cost of buying brand new brass. I do this A LOT!

My searches usually look like this:
    "brass once 223"
    "brass fired 223"
    "brass once fired 223"
    "brass used 223"

You'd be amazed at how much you can save.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Most RCBS equipment comes with no questions asked, lifetime warranty. I lost the small rod to my hand primer, bought used, so I called RCBS and asked how much for the part. They wanted to know exactly what the part was that I needed and my address cause they going to send it out, free. So when I think about buying some new stuff I consider RCBS. Natchez is having a sale right now, BTW.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Good used deals

I have yet to find anyone that has worn out a press, Lee, RCBS or otherwise unless they are a commercial outfit. Just familiarize yourself with the tools you are looking for and don't be afraid to shop around.

Progressives have many more moving parts so you should function check if buying used.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Stick with the current manufactures like Redding, Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Dillon, Hornady, etc. and you will be ok. If you are loading for pistol, I would only consider used dies that have a carbide sizer, so you don't have to lube cases, and the carbide never wears out. Currently manufactured models will have parts readily available from the manufacturer if parts are missing or worn out. There is a lot of cheap reloading junk at gun shows & flea markets...let the buyer beware.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I was looking at the lee products because they were cheaper but after reading some of the reviews kinda scares me. I don't want to have to fix something over and over (primer feedint ect.). The prices of the dillon, lyman and rcbs are kinda high. I have to say though if I am going to buy one after this single stage I just purchased its probably going to be the dillon because of the warranty.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That dillon warranty is no joke. Ive broken parts and called them fro replacement parts. Ive told them more than once that it was 100% my fault and they didnt give a dran, they were going to replace it FOR FREE. They are a business model that few in the country could follow. You wont regret buying a dillon 550b.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'm kind of in the same boat, and from having used my dad's equipment over the years, and listening to him, I won't use most Lee stuff, or any other presses with an aluminum frame. Cast iron all the way!
    Dad's RCBS Rockchucker press is as old (33) or older than I am, and the piston still moves smooth like new. He also keeps it properly lubed and has a little cloth cover made for when not in use, to keep dust out.

From what I've read and seen, you can't hardly go wrong with RCBS, Dillon, or Hornady presses with the cast iron frames.

Ebay often has good deals, just watch for shipping when dealing with iron pieces...

L999here

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    South Bend,IN
    ...do's and don't...

As a 'retired' Class #7 FFL Mfg.,reloading Instructor and professional reloader,I recommend starting out with the LEE 50th Annv. single-stage press kit. It is by far the best dollar value for the beginning reloader. I teach a reloading class every month in South Bend...usually 3-7 folks show up for the 8-hr class split up in 2-evenings. 4-hours of classroom and 4-hrs of hands-on with the press..$35.00. Start with learning every operation...one step at a time...and refine your skills. Most of those I start in reloading...over 500+ folks since 1980....graduate to the DILLON presses. I am a DILLON Dist. and a stocking reloading dealer. Have fun....go slow...be safe....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm glad I stumbled on to this thread! I too am just beginning to think about getting into reloading and was going to ask about RCBS equipment. In the most recent email from Widener's they have an RCBS tumbler on sale for 69 bucks and I was wondering if that was a good price/good piece of equipment (I'm planning on accumulating stuff gradually).

This is the tumbler... Is $69 a good price?

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

I saw a Lyman of similar capacity at Bradis for $64, and of course there would be no shipping if I got it there.

For the press, I was considering the Lee Value (Deluxe?) Turret Press Kit. I looked at one at the 1500 and it seems to be a decent starter kit from the standpoint of having several basic items in the kit. ET Brass (out of Ohio I think) had them for $115 at the show. List is $170 I believe. Opinions welcome on this as well, keeping in mind that while I don't want to buy crappy stuff, but I also don't want top of the line (from a budget standpoint) just starting out.

Hope I didn't :hijack: the OP's thread too badly! At some point I will have the new vs. used decision(s) to make too I'm sure. Sounds like going with Dillon is a safe bet for used equipment.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm glad I stumbled on to this thread! I too am just beginning to think about getting into reloading and was going to ask about RCBS equipment. In the most recent email from Widener's they have an RCBS tumbler on sale for 69 bucks and I was wondering if that was a good price/good piece of equipment (I'm planning on accumulating stuff gradually).

This is the tumbler... Is $69 a good price?

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

I saw a Lyman of similar capacity at Bradis for $64, and of course there would be no shipping if I got it there.
    I think you will be happy with the Lyman brass tumbler. All of the major manufacturers back up their products when bought new. As a rule, I'd stay away from "Smart Reloader" brand reloading equipment even though the cheap prices might be attractive.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Sorry but I have to disagree with Be Mike. Years ago I bought a Lyman vibratory
    case cleaner and the bowl just self destructed. It literally delaminated in about 3 months
    of use. The extra bowl came apart the same way. I found a blue plastic bowl at a gun show that fit and it's worked fine since. I'd go with the RCBS for a few bucks more.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    case cleaner and the bowl just self destructed. It literally delaminated in about 3 months
    of use. The extra bowl came apart the same way. I found a blue plastic bowl at a gun show that fit and it's worked fine since. I'd go with the RCBS for a few bucks more.

Dad just got a new Hornday tumbler to replace his Lyman, the Lyman made it for probably close to 10 years, finally the motor just gave out...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    A tumbler is just a vibratory motor and plastic bowl. Its role in the reloading process is largely cosmetic and relates more to time saved than anything else.

When it comes to buying used reloading equipment, stick with green or blue...RCBS or Dillon. Both are likely to work very well when you get them, as they are engineered well. If they don't work, you can be sure of excellent CS to help get them up and running. This is true of some of the other brands, but not as good, IMHO.

If you're buying new and will be mostly making pistol ammo, the Lee Classic Turret is hard to beat. If you'll mostly be making rifle ammo that is larger than 223, the RCBS RockChucker is the way to go. Stay away from anything that is primarily aluminum, if you want something that will last a lifetime.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have seen many happy Lyman tumbler customers, but there are exceptions. I would have contacted Lyman to see if they would send a replacement. I actually use a Lortone QT-12 rotary tumbler that is made for rock polishing. I've used it without anything but a belt replacement for over 25 years.Lortone, Manufacturers of Tools for Lapidary & Jewelry Artists

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    The press I purchased is used and I believe it to be aluminum. I knew buying it that it wasn't exactly the one I was going to stay with the rest of my life but, the price was right paid about 40 for it.

On a different note I went to the 1500 in hopes that I would find several presses for sale. I was a bit discouraged at the number of tables with presses for sale(2 tables with new press kits both lee). I thought there would have been more used equipment. It seems that it is hard to come by.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    The press I purchased is used and I believe it to be aluminum. I knew buying it that it wasn't exactly the one I was going to stay with the rest of my life but, the price was right paid about 40 for it.

On a different note I went to the 1500 in hopes that I would find several presses for sale. I was a bit discouraged at the number of tables with presses for sale(2 tables with new press kits both lee). I thought there would have been more used equipment. It seems that it is hard to come by.

Quality reloading equipment can last more than a lifetime with proper care.

Top Bottom