• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Just trying to sparking the imagination of others. I am loading up some shtf ammo and wanted a cheap sturdy storage option that I wouldn't care to throw away one day. These will be stored in the safe so it's just a container to keep them neat. Enjoy

P6110001.jpg

P6110002.jpg

P6110003.jpg

P6110004.jpg

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I cut the boxes out of heavy weight poster board.

I don't know why you think it should be in purple. Its not heavy use it long term.

It's the same kind of material standard boxes of ammo are sold in just without the plastic insert.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Guess it depends how "long term" is your understanding of "long term". I would prefer something that would keep the ammo dry. Such as plastic coffee cans, gallon ice cream pales, etc. Things that seal rather than fold, but that's just me. Nice job making the boxes though.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Guess it depends how "long term" is your understanding of "long term". I would prefer something that would keep the ammo dry. Such as plastic coffee cans, gallon ice cream pales, etc. Things that seal rather than fold, but that's just me. Nice job making the boxes though.

Yes the OP could put the ammo in a ziploc bag with silica gel packets inside, and seal the box with tape.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have always thought that the cardboard boxes that pizza is delivered in, would make a great ammo storage box. Especially when the SHTF. That will be a serious event. Believe me. You better be ready with plenty of cardboard to store your ammo to be really ready for that day.:D

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have always thought that the cardboard boxes that pizza is delivered in, would make a great ammo storage box. Especially when the SHTF. That will be a serious event. Believe me. You better be ready with plenty of cardboard to store your ammo to be really ready for that day.:D

but that is the fist place people would look....USE YOUR HEAD MAN!

On a more serious note i agree it depends on your definition of "long term" To me cardboard does not fit in there for long term storage. as others have said i want things that seal and protect it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As much as I loathe the whole "SHTF" scenario questions, let's be perfectly objective about it: If you've got a gun safe, OR a pizza box, both of those things are going to be noticed right away, should unfriendlies come around.

To me, "long-term storage" means secured in a location that is unlikely to be checked or noticed. This is likely to be something that is not climate-controlled, hence moisture is a serious consideration. To be blunt, burying ammo in a box like that would be like throwing it away, after just a few weeks. If it's just being stored in a gun safe, I don't see the point. You can buy actual ammo boxes for pretty cheap, or just store it in ammo cans.

The OP did a good job creating something for which I cannot begin to see a need. Just my :twocents:

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Sylvain and Bunnykid68 - Thanks for reading and understanding the original post.

Yes they fit and will be in plastic sandwich baggies. Yes they will be fireproof in the safe. Yes they will be safe, not flopping around in some can waiting for a primer to get struck. If I ever need it, it won't be sitting in the safe anymore for others to take. If some of you can't keep things like cardboard from deteriorating in a controlled environment, stick to your plastic or metal ammo cans.

Hoosierdaddy74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Westside indpls
    I wish I could stock up like that....Having ammo around makes me want to shoot :ar15:
    I have talked wife into spending extra 40 paycheck on ammo....Just getting back into guns now that the kids are getting older so ive bought some new guns this year and I WANT TO SHOOT!!!!:draw:
    This year bought Glock\AR\Beretta tomcat\ruger 10/22....:rockwoot:
    Now I have to choose ammo for which gun to buy...decisons are rough lol

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Sylvain and Bunnykid68 - Thanks for reading and understanding the original post.

Yes they fit and will be in plastic sandwich baggies. Yes they will be fireproof in the safe. Yes they will be safe, not flopping around in some can waiting for a primer to get struck. If I ever need it, it won't be sitting in the safe anymore for others to take. If some of you can't keep things like cardboard from deteriorating in a controlled environment, stick to your plastic or metal ammo cans.

Merrix, those are awful nice boxes. Just seem like over kill and completely unnecessary. Theres about a thousand other containers that would do the job better without having to MAKE them.
    And I don't know where you read about a primer being struck and popped in a can full of ammo, doesn't happen, far as I know.
    Well made boxes though......:dunno:

Top Bottom