Why do I keep hearing people say 9mm is not adequate for home/self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is the 9mm round adequate for home/self defense?

• Total voters

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Because they think the millions of people killed by 32ACP, 380ACP and 9mm in WWI, WWII and since just aren't dead enough. :dunno:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is the 9mm round adequate for home/self defense? My answer is yes.

Why people say 9mm is not adequate for home/self defense?

Do you guys believe this too? Discuss. My answer is no.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You asked us to vote on do we or do we not. To confusing my friend.

I voted Yes, the 9mm is adequite. However, people can vote Yes, the 9mm is not adequate. See what I mean, Jelly Bean?

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Quite a few people have been killed with .22lr. Of course 9mm is good enough for home defense. The only 9mm I own is a 9x18 and I would have 0 issue trusting it with my life. Normally, a .40 would be grabbed as a carry pistol but I wouldn't have an issue with the 9x18 or .38 special. In a true HOME defense, I would probably grab something larger as I've got many different guns at the ready but I'd feel fine with anything from a .38 to a 12 gauge.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    The 9mm is more than adequate for HD/SD. Shot placement is more important than the round used. Shooting someone in the foot with a .45 isn't as effective as shooting someone in the chest or the head with a 9mm.

Bahbo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    9mm may or may not expand 100% of the time and the same goes for 40s&w, but a 45 will never get smaller. ;)

Thanks

Bahbo

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    all pistol calibers suck. 9mm/.40/.45 might as well be the same when someone is hit with them. plus side for the 9mm is higher capacity and easier to get back on target after the shot (this is from my personal experience with these calibers, ymmv). end of the day, it all boils down to what you like to use

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    9mm may or may not expand 100% of the time and the same goes for 40s&w, but a 45 will never get smaller. ;)

Thanks

Bahbo

:yesway:

But I feel the 9mm is more than adequate. Now, if you are talking about collateral damage, overpenetration, etc you are in a different conversation altogether.

In and of itself I believe a 9mm will stop a BG in his tracks given proper shot placement.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    all pistol calibers suck. 9mm/.40/.45 might as well be the same when someone is hit with them. plus side for the 9mm is higher capacity and easier to get back on target after the shot (this is from my personal experience with these calibers, ymmv). end of the day, it all boils down to what you like to use

Can you define "suck" as it relates to the OP?

a 45 most assuredly does not hit someone with the same force as a 9mm, especially at 5-7 yards...

Top Bottom