Fed Reloading Components? Need a Recipe...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    1) Does Federal provide their 230gr post style Hydra-Shok for reloading? If not, what is an acceptable alternative for ranges out to 25yds? A flat nose of some sort?

2) Does anyone have a recipe that they KNOW closely duplicates the performance of the standard pressure 230gr Hydra-Shok, using ball powder, preferably Win 231 or Accurate #5? Something that they've maybe tested side by side with it? I'd rather not spend the money experimenting due to financial considerations. Velocity doesn't matter; POI is the main thing.

I shot a bit of older carry ammo today, and it was not as accurate as I would have expected. I'd like to explore that a bit further as well, thus the need for a very similar load.

Thank you,

Josh <><

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have never seen the 230 Hydra-Shok bullet for sale as a reloading component. (I have never looked real hard for it though)

I use 5.7 grains of 231 behind a 230 FMJ bullet for 850 fps out of a 5 inch 1911.

That is a duplicate to the federal factory load and also miltary ball. POI will be the same.

I'm sure someone will come on and advise you to reduce by 10% and work slowly up, but this is one of those loads engraved in steel and is a "standard" load for the 45 ACP. Use your best judgement.

Regards

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I just read your other post on shooting the lead SWC. Unless you are wanting an X-ring capable target pistol, the groups you showed on the other post are entirely acceptable for a combat intended 1911.

The military front sight is very small and hard to see and if you want to lower the group at 15 yards, you need a taller front sight, but I think you already know that.

I use 5.7 gr of 231 behind both a 230 FMJ (850fps)and a 200 LSWC (950fps) bullet. They both have roughly the same POI.

Nothing wrong with aiming at the navel and getting a chest hit, IMO

If you want precision, get ready to spend money...

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks.

My only concern is getting practice ammo with the exact same POI as my carry ammo.

My LSWC loads are accurate, but a little high and (I think) to the left a hair.

I've thought about a Briley spherical bushing or maybe a National Match, along with a Yost retro rear sight and a Trijicon front, but don't really need it.

The LSWC loads are for accuracy; these will be for carry load practice.

I saved this load; I'll use it.

Thank you, gents.

Josh <><

Top Bottom