• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    This is likely a dumb question, but what is the expected life of 45ACP brass?

How many times can it be expected to be fired and loaded?

How can I tell when it is getting to the end of its useful life?

If any of you know or can direct me to a place that this is already addressed please do.

Thanks

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have not personally tested but have heard about 9 to 10 firings. I just look for these signs when re-sizing. You will know because the case mouth will split or crack. This is from the brass getting brittle from working it in the sizing and firing. The case mouth gets the most stretching (that causes it to harden) from opening (belling) then closed from the crimp.

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Have not personally tested but have heard about 9 to 10 firings. I just look for these signs when re-sizing. You will know because the case mouth will split or crack. This is from the brass getting brittle from working it in the sizing and firing. The case mouth gets the most stretching (that causes it to harden) from opening (belling) then closed from the crimp.

Thanks guys

Already I'm seeing that it isn't likely 2 or 3 like one guy trying to sell me brass claimed.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have 45 ACP brass that has been fred enough times that the head is almost completely smooth. I am not sure who the manufacturer is because it is that smooth.

I have no idea how many times they have been reloaded. Dozens? They are mixed in a 5 gallon bucket with less used brass. They all get reloaded without discrimination.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks guys

Already I'm seeing that it isn't likely 2 or 3 like one guy trying to sell me brass claimed.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of variables. If you have a gun with a tight chamber and you are loading medium to light loads then shoot it until it cracks. If you are running hot loads through a gun with a looser chamber then 3-5 loadings is all I'd do with them as a case rupture is an exciting event.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Agree with the looser chamber (Glock) notion. 45 is a relatively low pressure load - even at mfr suggested "max" loading. I haven't been there yet with my 45 brass but I hear tell you can get 15-20....maybe even more depending on how well you treat them, how hot the loads, etc...

No way I'd guess 3 or 4 unless its inferior brass (there are some out there) or as mentioned your chamber is Glocked...

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Depends on the Manufacturer, load, bullet, chamber, dies and type of firearm.

For instance, 9mm 147g defense loads run through an HK subgun would cause the case to be worked harder through the dies upon each reloading, making the brass fail faster.

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Agree with the looser chamber (Glock) notion. 45 is a relatively low pressure load - even at mfr suggested "max" loading. I haven't been there yet with my 45 brass but I hear tell you can get 15-20....maybe even more depending on how well you treat them, how hot the loads, etc...

No way I'd guess 3 or 4 unless its inferior brass (there are some out there) or as mentioned your chamber is Glocked...

What would you consider a max powder load in 45ACP to be fired in a 1911?

8.5 grains seemed notably more full of kicks than factory loads, yet appear to be fine with the gun.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    What would you consider a max powder load in 45ACP to be fired in a 1911?

8.5 grains seemed notably more full of kicks than factory loads, yet appear to be fine with the gun.

Just depends on the powder. If you are shooting in a 1911 you shouldn't have issue with over expansion in the chamber...

I have only loaded with Win231, however this weekend I am going to load some up with Titegroup. The online resource for Hodgdon lists the max loading for both these powders.

Win231 5.3 grains 834 ft\sec 16,900 CUP LRN Bullet .452
    Titegroup 4.8 grains 855 ft\sec 17,000 CUP LRN Bullet .452

There are a lot of variables but you will typically see higher velocity at the same pressure with lighter bullets.

For instance, with Win231, using a cast semi wad cutter at 155 grains, you achieve over 1100 ft\sec while keeping pressure close to the 17,000 mark. Looks like average pressure for recommended loading goes between 15,000-17,000.

But, as I said, other powders may very well be different. I have no experience or research on them. So, a hot load is a relative term...

BillyB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    I have been reloading this cartridge for 10 years. I am not sure you can wear it out. Shoot them until they crack.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    .45 acp brass can be reloaded many, many times. Like Sloughfoot, I have shot target loaded brass so many times you could not even read the head stamp. My .38 bullseye load bras would last at least 15 times before even a single piece split a neck, and the .38 requires at least a sight crimp. Since the .45 does not require a crimp, It probably lasts 3 or 4 times that many times.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For most any straight-walled pistol case, I "expect" at least 10 firings from each case and am not at all surprised by 20 or more. The best advice is to simply inspect each case as you're reloading it and toss it when you get a split in the mouth...simple as that.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My experiences with repeatedly reloading 45acp, usually stretching its useful life and still loading fairly warm, is that the primer pockets are what tend to go out first.

So far never split ANY case, I've only had the primer pockets shallow out or fail to seal causing some mild errosion of the breech face.

I think it's probably time I start getting new brass, haha.

I'd say 4-6 hot loads before you need to pitch it or true up the primer pockets. If you're running bunny fart loads, it may last long enough to hand down a generation.

Not really sure if the primer pocket is even the issue, I just know when seating the primers if it starts getting REALLY hard to press them in all the way and sometimes they fail to seat flush or beyond flush, that you can tell they're leaking a little when you check the fired round.

Top Bottom