• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I've searched the above sticky with links to the most common ammo suppliers. This isn't a cheapest best ammo question. My AR only sees action at the range and of course in case SHTF. For just target shooting is steel cased.223 OK to shoot or should I stick with federal 5.56 55 grain FMJ. Reason I ask cause today at the range I noticed an AR shooter shooting wolf.223 and he showed me the website and its about 100 less then what I shoot for 1000 rounds. Also stated never had an issue with it. I've read and heard to just make sure I give the AR a good cleaning after shooting steel cased

Have any of you used PMC X TAC 55 grain FMJ? I think I might order some of this and try it out.

I'm open to all suggestions and a good online source. Like I said I only shoot at the range with it

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You are certain to get a lot of replies.

Here's a few things to consider:

1) Steel cased ammunition typically has lower up front cost, and for many "plinking" load peform adequately from and accuracy standpoint. Downsides are that steel cases have been known to jam in some AR's. Most often this is from a build up of the case coating in the chamber. It is also thought that the steel may be a bit less forgiving about chamber cleanliness since it isn't a malleable as brass. The other downside is most consider it to be one and done...and not able to be easily reloaded.

2) Brass is of course the traditional case. Up front cost is a bit higher for many types. Most consider brass case to be more desireable because it tends to have less problems with jamming (in a properly maintained weapon). It also is easily reloaded. If you don't reload, you can typically sell your once fired brass for a few pennies each and get close to a net zero vs. the initial price difference over steel.

I've shot both succesfully and have both in my current inventory. I prefer brass because of the reloadability and demonstrated performance in my guns.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Prefer steel case for practice/plinking/training, keeps costs low enough to keep doing it without having to get in depth with reloading. That being said, have been eyeing moving into a Dillon progressive for brass reloading in quantity.

Another thing is generally steel case is low in powder and a little light for some barrels. I have to shoot 77gr brass cased stuff to make sure I remember what it's like.

I may be in the minority here, but I feel a reliable ar-15 should be able to eat any ammo you throw at it, steel case included.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Some ARs don't like steel cased ammo. I shoot it in the ones that like it for punching paper, plinking, etc. It is cheaper, not reloadable, and dirtier because the case doesn't expand to seal the chamber as well as brass. There are also people on this forum that sell quality reloaded brass cased plinking ammo for a reasonable price.

Dave

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    In the past, most steel cased ammo had a coating, typically lacquer. All the stuff I have seen that is new production is not coated anymore. Wolf, Tula, etc. Some may be zinc plated, Silver Bear, MFS, etc, but it's nothing like lacquer. The lacquer could gum up your chamber and cause feeding issues. I guarantee what you buy now will not be coated though, if it's new production. I reload, so I have not ran any steel cased ammo through my AR's. You best bet is too buy a box or two, and make sure it cycles properly. Before you buy in quanity.

Octomonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Markle
    I got a good deal on Brown Bear ($0.21/rd) so I bought 1000 rounds. I've fired almost all of them and haven't had a single FTF or extraction issue. The biggest con is it isn't the most accurate ammunition. I recently bought some PMC X-TAC M193 and it is niiice. It's a huge step up in accuracy, not to mention my AR is a lot cleaner when I'm done for the day.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I got a good deal on Brown Bear ($0.21/rd) so I bought 1000 rounds. I've fired almost all of them and haven't had a single FTF or extraction issue. The biggest con is it isn't the most accurate ammunition. I recently bought some PMC X-TAC M193 and it is niiice. It's a huge step up in accuracy, not to mention my AR is a lot cleaner when I'm done for the day.

Thanks I was wondering about the xtac. I've heard a lot that steel cased isn't as accurate and being I don't reload "yet" just browsing around for bargains

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    In my opinion only:

Hornady Steel Match is a bazillion times better quality than Wolf, Tula, etc. I've only ever shot the 75gr Steel Match, but its clean and accurate and I have no reason to expect otherwise from the 52/55gr offerings.

Of course the per-round cost is more expensive than Russkie steel-cased ammo or even cheap M193-type ammo.

If the steel stuff goes 'bang' and cycles in your rifle, its G2G...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just built my AR and I will probably stick with brass casing mostly because I am older and it just looks right to me. :)

But really, I want to shoot good ammo for at least a 1000 rounds or so until I know the gun was put together right and runs well. This way if I have an issue, hopefully I can eliminate the ammo as a source.

What is good per round pricing to look for? A quick search online seems to indicate around $0.30/round would be okay.

Is PMC X-TAC M193 allowed in 3-gun competitions? What do most shoot? And what about bullet weight?

Thanks.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Tulammo is $4.97/20 at Walmart. My AR shoots it better than the American eagle AE223. It's actually not horribly dirty. It has also never jammed or failed in any way.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    If you do not shoot often, and you have ni intrest in reloading, then there is nothing wrong with steel cased ammo. ike others have said, buy a box or two of several different rands, and see which one you like best.

If you think that you are going to get into shooting more than what you are now, especially if your going with many calibers, then you might want to start looking into reloading. It really is the way to go.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    For what it's worth I have reloaded steel wolf and Tula cases for range days I can't pick up my brass. I only load them 1 time. I have tested 200rds and have not had any issues. Also i dont find that accuracy is decreased, at least at the distance i shot them. I use a seperate die for the steel just in case it is damaging it but i dont see any signs. A friend shoots wolf and Tula so I thought I would expirement with his cases. They are great if its muddy or you are some place shooting where you can't pick up your brass for any number of reasons.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I just picked up 120 rounds of tulammo which was pretty cheap 5/20. I'm heading out to the field so I'll see how they do. I would like to stick with brass though. I really need to look into reloading cause I currently shoot .40 s&w 5.56 and 500 s&w but forget the 500 cause the ammo is ridiculous cost. I'm going to read through the stickies the next few days to get an idea where to start.

Thanks for the replies

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    My AR has a match chamber and barrel, it will not, i repeat will not run steel cased anything reliably. Its hit and miss really, I get a lot of stuck cases with steel cased, so I stopped running it. Plus its dirty as crap. I dont want to have to clean a rifle in a pinch after 15-20 rds so I'll stick with brass, regardless of the maker, seems to be much cleaner and I rarely have a problem

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The lacquer coating does not melt and gum up the chamber.
    Repeat....the lacquer coating (or polymer coating) does not melt and gum up the chamber.

Carbon builds up since the steel case does not expand as well as brass.

AR's with tight chambers will have problems with steel case ammo.

http://youtu.be/P5ZB3UfG960

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Steel case ammo is starting to have a big following probably due to price. I can say though that I do not like it. I have had many FTF's with Horandy practice. We recently purchased a large amount for training. It was not a pleasant session. Plus the stuff smells BAD!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I currently run only Wolf Military Classic in my RRA, never had an issue, extractor is fine, thus far seems fine. Mostly started after watching the military arms video. Note: I do clean the AR after any session. Kind of a test, just to see long term impact. In other ARs I may or may not have, brass only.

Only a few hundred steel thus far, takin AR noob out to try some out, so round count will increase soon.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The lacquer coating does not melt and gum up the chamber.
    Repeat....the lacquer coating (or polymer coating) does not melt and gum up the chamber.

Carbon builds up since the steel case does not expand as well as brass.

AR's with tight chambers will have problems with steel case ammo.

So, Mike do you think my 16" PSA upper mid-length gas system will have timing issues?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    So, Mike do you think my 16" PSA upper mid-length gas system will have timing issues?

Mine didn't.

IMG_20120918_144424.jpg

IMG_20120918_144448.jpg

P1160803.jpg

Top Bottom