• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guy9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Marion
    What is a snap cap, and the purpose of it? I hear some people talk about them but really dont know what they are.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I load 1-3 snap caps in each magazine randomly while at the range to practice malfunction drills.

Only way I can get my Glock to go Click instead of Bang.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I load 1-3 snap caps in each magazine randomly while at the range to practice malfunction drills.

Only way I can get my Glock to go Click instead of Bang.

You could get that same reliability with a CZ and you wouldn't offend your eyes with all that ugly.

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    a snap cap is just plastic or aluminum. there is no primer, powder, or bullet. Its all one piece. What I don't understand is why you need them. I have always heard that a good firearm should not need them to dry fire.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    a snap cap is just plastic or aluminum. there is no primer, powder, or bullet. Its all one piece. What I don't understand is why you need them. I have always heard that a good firearm should not need them to dry fire.

I can see if you want to test your hand control and not know when the blank would show in your mag, you may catch yourself overcorrecting for the kick. It is a good tool to correct your bad habits.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Some firearms do have issues with dry firing. The Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP is one that will not be damaged by a little, but will be damaged by a lot of dry firing. Snap caps are good for practicing draw up to trigger pull for these type of guns.

My primary use is the same as Lars: ball and dummy drills. I have the same problem with annoying reliability with my Glock as well. :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Another benefit of snap caps that no one has mentioned is: SAFETY.

The act of putting in a snap cap for dry fire practice physically precludes the presense of a live round in the chamber.

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple

I use them in my shotgun to relieve the pressure off of the springs after use. I pull the trigger for each barrel, and it takes pressure off the springs, then I store it, and when I need it I simply take them out and put real shells in! It helps with older/more valuable shotguns!

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Sorry to hijack...But, I bought some red plastic snap caps with brass backs (not sure of the brand off the top of my head) for drills and such, and on most of them the spring has busted through the top.

What brand or style is everyone using.

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    I think mine are Azoom branded. Mine are all aluminum with a springy guy for the primer. I bought mine through my local dealer, they should be able to help you out.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Dummy Rounds 223 Black 5 pack [MAG215] - $4.95 : ++ Magpul Industries ++

I've been thinking about ordering a pack of these.
    I have a pair of .223 snapcaps, but the pastic just seems to break when they hit hard surfaces. They were kind of pricey if I remmember correctly (12 dollar range for two)
    I have used my snap caps to practice the SPORTS drill, and after so many times of those damned snapcaps hitting the ground its suprising they still feed correctly. I think plain polymer dummy's would hold up better, and I've never been let down by any of the magpul products I have seen/used.

I know I have seen a similiar style dummy round but in 9mm, just can't remmember who makes them or if they still are made.

Top Bottom