• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm sure I seen another thread on this but I couldn't find it....

What's the difference between the two? Are they interchangeable? What guns use the GAP ammo?

Just curious. Thanks.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    They are not interchangeable. The .45 GAP is a shorter round. The idea is a round with the same power a .45 ACP, but shorter to allow a smaller grip. The .45 GAP also uses small pistol primer.

Personally, I don't see the .45 GAP sticking around. The smaller .45 ACP designs that Glock has come out with (G30, etc.) reduce the need that it was created for. But only time will tell.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I keep one box of GAP in the shelf, and it usually lasts me about a year. We don't carry any guns in this caliber, they don't sell.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I keep one box of GAP in the shelf, and it usually lasts me about a year. We don't carry any guns in this caliber, they don't sell.

Yeah I was going to say I got to sportsman's warehouse about once a week up here in Laff, and its been the only round constantly in stock for about a year. While 45acp, 9mm, 40, ext. works its way down to out of stock, 45 GAP seems to never budge.

I guess if you got one youd have plenty of ammo available ? :dunno:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Yep. Cabela's had a EAA in .41AE. I got a history lesson when I asked a much older buddy about the round. I am sure I will be doing the same thing in 5 years for the GAP.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The .45GAP round is also strengthened at the base to counter the Glock's partially unsupported chamber (i.e., the source of the infamous Glock kaboom).

Not so much around Indiana, as far as I know, but a fair number of LEO agencies elsewhere have adopted it. The New York State Police and the South Carolina Highway Patrol have selected the .45GAP as their standard round.

I am seriously considering buying a Glock 38 (.45GAP compact). I would rather get a .40SW Glock 23, but they are in short supply to say the least. Last week Davidsons sent me an alert that the G23 was in stock. By the time I got online to buy one, which was only 50 minutes later, they were all gone.

Anyway, if the G23 does not materialize eventually I may get a G38. Both have the same dimensions in just about every way, and the .45GAP and .40SW have similar balistic properties. FWIW, according to the cops quoted in the "Glock Autopistols 2009" magazine, the .45GAP has a more manageable, straight-back recoil characteristic than the .40SW, but that magazine is practically an advertising material paid for by Glock so you would not be faulted for being skeptical.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Personally, I don't see the .45 GAP sticking around. The smaller .45 ACP designs that Glock has come out with (G30, etc.) reduce the need that it was created for. But only time will tell.

Yeah, Agreed.
    Also the .357 SIG I know they have advantages but
    do you even see this caliber on a shelf?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yeah, Agreed.
    Also the .357 SIG I know they have advantages but
    do you even see this caliber on a shelf?

.357 SIG? Yea, Wally world in Plainfield had a box sitting for like a week. Haven't been there in a few days though.

I got a couple boxes of GAP HydraShoks, 230gr if anyone wants to trade me something for them. Otherwise they're going to Louisville with me to try and sucker a trade there! :p

Top Bottom