Is this possible? Wouldn't .223 have passed through the children?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Coroner referring to the .223 rifle shots in 7 dead children from Newtown:
    "The bullets are designed in such a fashion that the energy is deposited in the tissue and so the bullet stays in," he said.

Is it possible for a .223 round, even a hollow point, to not pass through a small child at short range? I did not think this was possible. It sounds more like he is describing hollow point pistol rounds to me, but I am no ballistics expert.

BBC News - Connecticut shooting: How it happened

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot .223 rounds at a big beef roast that we left in the refrigerator too long. Hate to waste food, but it was too rancid to appeal to my tastebuds. I tried several calibers. 55 gr .223 when right through with only a slightly larger exit hole. I saw no sign of the bullet tumbling, at least from up close. 9mm ball was not really too impressive. The test pretty much ended with a 300 gr Flat nosed wadcutter style bullet in the .44 magnum. The entrance hole was .44 size. The exit was about 4 lbs of beef shredded completely away from the front half. I was about 10 yards away from the "aged" beef.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    it depends on the exact rifle and bullets he used, which i doubt well ever know specifics. for example, an M855 round from a shorter barrel will do less damage, as it doesnt fragment well at lower velocities, and passes thru targets.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The article said some kids were shot between "3-11 times". Man! So he shot roughly 60-200 rounds and killed almost everyone he shot. I think I read there were 2 women wounded in another article, I just scanned this one. I just don't understand how nobody could have stopped him while he was busy doing all that shooting. It also sad that the most concise article I've read about the event is from the BBC!

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    they couldnt. no mindset, no training, no weapons (k well thats debatable, but im not going to take on a rifleman with a globe)

Depends on the size of the globe.

3242582777_5ae963196f_z.jpg

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Maybe they were frangibles. Or maybe--and this is sick, but--maybe they were cowered in the corner, and one bullet penetrated three or more children at a time, stopping in the last one. This seems likely based on the number of wounds per child.

God, what a sicko.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I thought he left the AR in his trunk? Of course, every news feed you read is different. Also, the Gumberment wants an AWB, so it will play out to their liking. That's whay I do not follow any news. It's nothing but BS.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For each person to be shot 3-11 times, the math doesn't seem to add up. According to the reports I've read, he burned through 3 magazines of 30-rounds, or 90 rounds. Let's say he shot 11 into all 26 victims... that's 286. We'll call this the high estimate. If each person got hit three times then that's 78 rounds. But the official said between 3 and 11. So does that mean that only some of the victims sustained the 11 shot injuries? Could someone correct me if I have some misinformation?

This was a horrible atrocity and I hate to dissect it like this. But there are many inconsistencies in what's been reported. For example, the initial media reports said he did it with the hand guns and left the AR-15 in his car, but then later reports said he used the AR-15 in the school.

I wish the media would get their facts straight before rushing to report a "story", because anything else is just dishonest reporting and should be penalized. Having worked in a field similar to new publishing, I understand the mentality of these reporters that being the first to break news is more important to them than coming out with the truth.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The kid, if he was really the shooter, was a withdrawn introvert with almost no social skills. So we are to believe that he walked in and calmly shot all of these people repeatedly and then killed himself and not one person could have distracted him or jumped him from behind or scared him off? It is all just so senseless.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The article said some kids were shot between "3-11 times". Man! So he shot roughly 60-200 rounds and killed almost everyone he shot. I think I read there were 2 women wounded in another article, I just scanned this one. I just don't understand how nobody could have stopped him while he was busy doing all that shooting. It also sad that the most concise article I've read about the event is from the BBC!

Everyone on the planes that hit the towers were held at bay by a box knife. Amazing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The kid, if he was really the shooter, was a withdrawn introvert with almost no social skills. So we are to believe that he walked in and calmly shot all of these people repeatedly and then killed himself and not one person could have distracted him or jumped him from behind or scared him off? It is all just so senseless.

I can not even think of standing by and allowing this to happen. Even at the risk or loss of my own life. I am, well, confused. Was there no male presence in this school...none. I would expect for a female teacher to stay with and protect her class. I guess the Marlboro man really is dead.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I thought he left the AR in his trunk? Of course, every news feed you read is different. Also, the Gumberment wants an AWB, so it will play out to their liking. That's whay I do not follow any news. It's nothing but BS.

Ya his rifle was in the trunk. And if you look at the video of them getting out i see them charge the rifle from the side not the back. Looked more like a Ak style than a Ar style rifle.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I can not even think of standing by and allowing this to happen. Even at the risk or loss of my own life. I am, well, confused. Was there no male presence in this school...none. I would expect for a female teacher to stay with and protect her class. I guess the Marlboro man really is dead.

I do not think there were any males at the school besides the shooter. All the teachers killed were female. I could be wrong though.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Ya his rifle was in the trunk. And if you look at the video of them getting out i see them charge the rifle from the side not the back. Looked more like a Ak style than a Ar style rifle.

Initial reports were wrong. It was a Saiga shotgun reported to be in the trunk. Anyways they have confirmed the Bushmaster rifle was used, at least on these 7 bodies, and that this rifle was found on the psycho's body.

Top Bottom