• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I've got a .45 1911 and have only purchased ACP ammo thus far.

Are there any brands I should look out for or types I should stay away from?

There appear to be more choices than I have brain cells.

In any Case, The-Armory has the below:

45 Auto (ACP) 230 gr FMJ Wolf Case (500 rds)
    $169.90
    45W230CS
    Case of Wolf 45 ACP, FMJ, 50 Rounds Per Box, 10 Boxes Per case. Advanced Polymer Coated

Is this suitable for home defense ammo and is it priced reasonably?

Thanks,

Joe

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    FMJ (full metal jacket) ammo is really not the best for home/self defense. The bullet will over-penetrate and possibly cause harm to bystanders. For home/personal defense you will want to use hollow points. The bullet will expand in the bad guy and should stay inside. The wound cavity will be much greater, and will cause more damage to the bad guy.

As for the Wolf ammo, I have not used it. The FMJ is good for practice at the range. I use Winchester White Box for target. I can get this (when in stock) for $30/100 at Wal-Mart. So, $150 per 500 plus tax = $160.50. I think the Wolf is steel cased? The WWB is brass, and can be reloaded. Just my :twocents:.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Wolf ammo is generally reviled on gun forums. I've not had a bad experience with it, but there are some better brands out there. The main problem is that Wolf is a steel case and is more harsh on the extractor than brass cased rounds. The ammo also has a coating which can make for a dirty/sticky gun.

Any .45ACP round will do in a self defense scenario, but you'd be better served with a hollow point round. Check out Federal, Remington, Hornady, Speer and the like for defensive rounds.

For target, I use Winchester White Box from Wal-Mart, the local Wal-mart has (when in stock) WWB in 100rnd packs for $30 or so. You can also buy factory reloads from online vendors like Precision Ammunition in Hobart, IN.

Finally, there is a thread around here somewhere with a list of online vendors.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Wolf runs great through all my pistols, it's just very dirty. As many times as I've shot it, never broken an extractor. (Now that I say that, I will) Like it has been said, mainly training ammo, HP ammo is best for self-defense.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    OTOH, with the prices that Wolf is going for now, I'd rather buy something brass cased that I can reload. Even a year ago, Wolf was pretty cheap, and you couldn't beat it for the price. Present day, not so much anymore.

paladin333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indy - NE side
    If you stick with major brands you can't go wrong. Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornaday.
    I would agree with previous posts, Wolf is cheap, but somewhat dirty. Also, for defence, hollow points are best; full metal jacket (ball) are ok for target and will probably cycle better in the pistol.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've got a .45 1911 and have only purchased ACP ammo thus far.

Just an FYI, the "ACP" in ".45ACP" stands for Automatic Colt Pistol; it is part of the caliber designation, not a brand or style of ammunition. That is, your 1911 will ONLY accept .45ACP ammo; there are other .45-caliber cartridges out there (i.e. .45LC, .45GAP, .45 Auto Rim) but they are not compatible with your pistol, or any other pistol chambered in .45ACP.

Within the .45ACP caliber, as you have figured out, there is a wide array of brands, bullet styles and bullet weights from which to choose. The Wolf ammo you linked to is decent stuff for range work if your gun will feed it (some have issues with the steel cases), but I wouldn't recommend it for personal protection (though it certainly beats a sharp stick).

Last edited:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks for the info guys -- it is appreciated :).

If the hollow points are what I'd want, I suppose I outta get a couple extra mags to keep around for "not" target shooting?....just so I'm not fumbling for it in the dark :).

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If the hollow points are what I'd want, I suppose I outta get a couple extra mags to keep around for "not" target shooting?....just so I'm not fumbling for it in the dark :).

Or just load up your mag(s) with carry ammo once you get home from the range...

But yes, generally there's no such thing as having too many magazines! :D

model67a

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    jasper
    ammo

Have fired a lot of wolf 40sw in ruger 944 no problem at all. If you want the best(IMO) round for SD get Cor-Bon DPX. stay safe

model67a

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    jasper
    online ammo

I have had good experience with Midway USA, The Armory, Cheaper Than Dirt, Able Ammo. Have bought most from Midway. They also have a good supply of other accessories, Mags, Holsters, Range bags, etc. stay safe

Top Bottom