• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    Is it worth reloading 9mm? Just wondering on how much I can knock the cost down. I've also heard that 9mm is a bit trickier to reload than other calibers. Any truth to this?:popcorn:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I\'ve never heard of any tricky-ness to 9mm reloading. I\'ve probably done 10k or so. Costs will vary depending on powder and bullet selection, but is cheaper than the equivalent purchased, depending on how fast you load and what value you put on your time.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I am not a professional, and just getting started with reloading. (Or re-started) My opinion is that it will not save you money. The more you make, the more you will shoot them, so you will actually end up spending more. However, your price per unit should go down. It does take an investment, (estimated between $800 and $1200 on other posts) to get started, and it will take some time to reach that break even point.

Secondly, I have always heard 9mm is more dangerous to reload and you need to be very maticulous, as if reloading didn't require it already. I have no idea if there is truth to that, just what I have been told. There are plenty of very knowledgeable folks on here, so you should get some better answers soon!

Sorry I couldn't be of further help!

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    My reloading cost for 9mm starts at $4.15 per box (of 50) at today's component prices. PM me if you want some load recipes.

Loading 9mm is not hard. My 12-year old son does all my loading (under supervision, of course).

3218306137_b91885bc32_b_d.jpg

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    Thanks for the info guys. Buddy of mine just bought a Dillion 550 that he's gonna use for .45 cal, and I have a Dillion Square Deal in the garage thats never been used, so we're thinking about setting that one up for 9mm. I've never reloaded myself, so this should be interesting, hope I don't blow the garage up...LOL.

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Prices for 1,000 rounds
    FMJ Bullets ~$70
    Powder ~$20
    Primers ~30

Total ~$120

Thats about $100 less than what you can buy a case of ammo for. Of course this doesn't include the cost of the cases or reloading equipment or your time. The reloading equipment is a long-term investment and the cases should be incredibly cheap to come by some once-fired stuff.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I can reload using cast for $5.20 per 50. So, yeah, you can spend less per box by reloading.

FMJ for $6.90 per 50. Still saving money, and my reloads are better than the cheapo factory stuff.

I do think 9mm demands more precision than other calibers for best results. It's a small, high pressure round, and very small differences in powder, OAL, anything will show on the target. I think it's finicky, but when you get it right that just makes it more satisfying.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I know we all do a cost analysis at some time on our reloads, but for me the biggest factor is getting a hand load that I like compared to an off the shelf factory full power load. And, yes, I do reload for the cost factor too…:rockwoot::ar15:

Top Bottom