• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    FYI : Bought some Vance bullets at the 1500. 2 boxes. One Box 93 short of its 500 count. Second box 86 short. I know these are weighed out not counted but to be this short on the count is kind of like paying full price for for the mixed drink and getting the short pour. This is not random error. Please keep in mind if buying from him at the next show.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    While Vance makes GREAT boolits (thats right, tradition is boolits for lead, not bullets :D ), they do short change folks. I had a few boxes and each one was short counted. Unfortunately, the quality doesn't outweigh this injustice and they dont really have any way to contact them directly.

Bummer-ific

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I bought some Vance at the show prior to this one quality was decent accuracy is good but the lube on them is not as good as mastercast bullet company. Alot of the lube had fallen off on the ones I had fron Vance. I stick with master cast in Missouri now, best lead boolits I have found.
    Not sure how much I was short on 2500 but they weren't equal to full packs of primers.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've not experienced this either in the past, nor lately and I've reloaded over 10k of his bullets. I just bought another 1k at the show, so once I get around to loading them, we'll see.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I bought some of their products and had the same problem with the lube as stated above. Also found they were very soft allly. Had LOTS of leading even though I kept the velocity down. After these, I gave up on cast lead and have gone to copper plated Rainier or jacketed bullets.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I bought some of their products and had the same problem with the lube as stated above. Also found they were very soft allly. Had LOTS of leading even though I kept the velocity down. After these, I gave up on cast lead and have gone to copper plated Rainier or jacketed bullets.

In many cases, low velocity=leading. There isn't enough pressure to form the bullet to the barrel properly.

I've never been bothered by a bit of lube missing here or there, it really isn't that big a deal to me.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    In many cases, low velocity=leading. There isn't enough pressure to form the bullet to the barrel properly.

I've never been bothered by a bit of lube missing here or there, it really isn't that big a deal to me.

Yea I feel the same way I have about 2500 loaded up in 9mm and they shoot fine.
    Just figured it was there for a reason :)

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Of course I still stand behind Mastercast as being a better bullet

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Guess I just haven't found the correct formula. I've used Meister Bullets from Okla. and didn't have a problem. Have also used Hornady with only minor leading but the Vance just coated the first couple inches of barrel. Had to scrub and soak for hours. If you have a hardness/powder/velocity formula that works, I am happy for you. To me, it just is not worth the hassle. Copper plated aren't that much more $ and I've never had a problem with the performance at any reasonable velocity.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I have loaded these Vance and plan to shoot them out of my XDm .40. I was planning to shoot one mag cast followed by one mag jacket as I have read the jacketed can help remove the leading. Any opinions on this?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I have used Shooters Choice lead remover with limited sucess. It works better if you soak the bore over night and then apply lots of brussing. Good luck and may you have a load that doesn't cause too much leading.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The best solvent I have tried is sweets 762 on cooper fowling havent tried it on lead but it is potent I am trying it next time.
    What I have been using is Hoppes Benchrest cleaner and get it good and wet and let it soak for at least 15 minutes then scrub also run serveral oil soaked rags seems to help be sure and dry out the oil :)

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have loaded these Vance and plan to shoot them out of my XDm .40. I was planning to shoot one mag cast followed by one mag jacket as I have read the jacketed can help remove the leading. Any opinions on this?

All this does is polish the lead and push it deeper into the rifling. To get the lead out, I've found no better "tool" than the Lewis Lead remover in conjunction with JB Lead Removing compound. That said, you can hack your own lead remover by going to Wal-Mart and picking up a "Chore-Boy" copper kitchen scrubber, unbunch it and cut off enough to wrap around a bronze bore brush a couple of times. Run it through the bore a few times with the JB Compound and you'll be good to go.

Finally, here is a link to some alternative solutions, try at your own risk.

P.S. If you get your bullet/charge combination correct, you won't have so much leading.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Butch's Bores shine works good for peeling out lead and copper. Haven't shot any Vances for awhile but I can tell you as far as the lube coming out of the grooves that seems to happen in cold weather. I have had it happen from several different companies they all shoot fine.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I use Vances bullets in .380, 9mm, and .45 acp, and havent had much issue with leading. The only time I have had issue with lead in the barrel is in my .44 Mag, when I get a little greedy on the velocity. When I do clean up after shooting lead bullets, I have found Kano Laboratories Kroil to be pretty good at getting the lead out. Just run a wet patch through the barrel, let soak a few min, then a good scrubbing followed by another wet patch, and a few dry ones on a tight fitting jag.

Top Bottom