• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'd like to get a progressive pistol reloader and I was wondering what everyone has? I've been looking at the a dillon but they are also for rifle and the throw would be a bit long for pistol reloading. I will probibly have a reloader for each caliber so I don't have to do the conversions. I'll be reloading 2 calibers to start.

I'd like to spend $0-$300 for the press.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I HIGHLY reccomend the Dillon 650 or 550b... you WILL NOT be dissapointed. That said i have two lee loadmasters that i will sell you for dirt cheap. they might require some tweaking to get them running right as i hate them but for 150 bucks ill give you both presses two powder drops and i think three tool heads, with the understanding that they come as they are. feel free to stop by and take a look at them prior to purchase.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I've had a Lee, Dillon 650, and a Hornady Projector (older version of the new LNL). For me it would be a toss up between the Dillon 650 or the Hornady Lock N Load. Both are well build and function perfectly. If money was not an issue I would suggest the Dillon with all Dillon extras. Other wise I would buy the Hornady Lock N Load. I know the Hornadys are hard to find in stock, but Sinclaiir International had them last time I checked.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In that price range, look at a Dillon Square Deal B.

If you had closer to $800 to spend, a Dillon 650 with casefeeder - no questions. Some will argue that the 1050 is better, and in almost every aspect it is. But the 650 does have a lifetime No-BS warranty. The 1050, b/c it is a commercial press, does not.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I was looking at the 650 but it has such a long throw for a pistol round. I'll probibly end up getting the 650 then. I intended getting the 650 for .308 anyway. Hmmmm, choices choices.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I turned out 1000 38 Super rounds on my 650 in 64 minutes once. Not that difficult at all with pre-loaded primer tubes, prepped brass and bullets at the ready.

7mm Magnum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Michigan
    I own, and have operated my Dillon RL550B since the late 80's and highly recommend it. While it is a manual indexing machine it in my honest opinion can't be beat as far as price and quality verses the speed of an auto indexing machine. I almost purchased the 650 but after figuring out the price differences between the 2 as far as conversion kits, tool heads, and other devices,.. the 550B won hands down. Not to mention Dillon has a No-BS warranty on all of their equipment.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I think the Hornady Lock and Load offers the best value. By the time you factor in the 1,000 free bullet offer, the price is quite a bit lower than the Dillon. Caliber changes are also cheaper too because there is no need to purchase additional toolheads - you just need to buy the $3/each bushings that the dies screw into for each additional caliber you wish to load, and you'll usually need to buy a $27 shellplate. The lock and load also comes with parts to convert to / from using small primers / large primers. Like Dillon, Hornady has a no-fault warrenty. IMO, the Hornady powder drop is better designed.

That being said, most high-volume shooters load on a Dillon. There must be some advantages to the Dillon that I'm overlooking.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'm not entirely new. I've reloaded with a buddy a few times. Besides, I'll just end up getting the 650 in the end. I'm too poor to not buy what I want in the first place:)

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Sounds like turnandshoot4 has his mind made up, but I will throw in my Dillon vote. I wore out a Lee press (don't remember the model) and bought my first Dillon after that. Still using that Square Deal B to load .45's. Later I bought a Dillon 550, great machine as well.

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Lee Loadmaster or Pro 1000. Either can be had complete with all the components needed to load one pistol cartridge for under $250.

I'm quite happy w/ my LCT, but just read about to many problems with these two presses. I'm still kinda debating between a 650 and a 550 as an upgrade, and have looked at the LNL, but I've heard the LNL is hard to set up. I'll make a decision eventually :)

IGF

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have been on the dillon website and for the press, 2 dies (9mm and 45), 3 quick change kits, and a electronic caliper I am at $999.65. Ouch but I'll only have to pay that once right?

On a side note I will be reloading for a long while (God willing) so the lifetime warranty is a big deal to me.

Top Bottom