• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RLEEMAYS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Edinburgh
    What is a good range for OAL for .223?? I'm starting a load for my carbine and would like to know what is a good range to strive for? My first group was mostly 2.255 with a couple that was 2.245. Is that a good range for the AR magazine OAL? I plan on crimping the rounds also. Thanks for the input!!
    :patriot::rockwoot::ar15::patriot::draw:

Corky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    Your OAL is determined by the bullet your using and not by mag length.
    You are using at least a couple of good reloading manuals....... right?
    Please be safe.

Jeff

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    For 52g-62g softpoints, hollowpoints, or FMJ's for use in an detachable magazine fed rifle, as a general rule I load to not under 2.240" and not over 2.265" OAL. But please, keep reading.

Regardless of what chambering your barrel has engraved on it, you have absolutely no idea what your throat length is until you've measured it.

You can easily and inexpensively make a chamber casting with Cerrosafe, or use a dummy cartridge and a bullet puller to sneak up on the lands while marking the projectile with prussian blue or a magic marker to check for contact, or use a tool such as the Stoney Point/Hornady OAL gauge.

I recently had a friend bring over a couple of AR-15 barrels from a "known" supplier - they were in two different contours, both marked 5.56, both chrome lined.

The measured jam length to the lands with a 69g Matchking was 2.292" on the first, and 2.270 on the other. I make a chamber casting after slugging the bore (they were both at .2244), and found the freebore length was nearly identical, while the freebore diameter on one was .227, and the other was .224.

My first inclination was the second barrel was likely chambered well beyond the point the reamer should have been rejected from production work. But we'll never know.

What we do know is that second barrel won't take the same loads the first one will.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As has been stated, check with a reliable manual. I have noticed that the BTHP bullets that I'm loading for NRA competition have a pretty large variance in OAL, like .03". I use a bullet comparator to set my seating depth. That way the bullets are measured at the ogive. This gives me a better reference. The bullets I am using are heavy bullets, 75 and 77 grain made for fast twist rifliing. You probably have a 1:9" twist in your rifle which will shoot best with 52-69 grain bullets. Use the recommended OAL with your lighter bullets and you will do fine. Don't worry so much about the difference in OAL of the bullets. Just use an average of the lengths of the bullets to set your seating die and you should be fine.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    2.250"- is what I consider "mag-length" for .223 shells I load for use in an AR. True, in a perfect world you'd be better off seating them longer and closer to the lands but if they are too long to feed through the mag you've made yourself a $2k single shot.
    I set my seating die to this length some time back and keep a mag laying on my bench to ensure feeding with a new load of a different bullet type, they are all pretty close in my experience- 40, 50, 55, 60 grainers as far as the ogive, and bullet profile being similar. However, when I did work up a load for some 77gr BTHPs I did have to re-set my seating die.
    Basically, load them to the longest length you can get away with that will still feed through a magazine- a COL for a round isn't set in stone and, if you're starting from scratch with a new load "magazine-length" is as good as place as any to start in my opinion.At least thats how I do it.

RLEEMAYS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Edinburgh
    Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it!! My sources that I have give a OAL for 55 gr. bullets B-TIP, VMAX, SPT of 2.230". I using 55 FMJ BT so, I guess I will shoot for that measurement. I will start at 2.230" and make sure the OAL does not go over 2.260"! Thanks again!!!

RLEEMAYS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Edinburgh
    Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it!! My sources that I have give a OAL for 55 gr. bullets B-TIP, VMAX, SPT of 2.230". I using 55 FMJ BT so, I guess I will shoot for that measurement. I will start at 2.230" and make sure the OAL does not go over 2.260"! Thanks again!!!

UPDATE!

Went to the range this past weekend and worked out what was the best load for my carbine. I seated all of my test load to a 2.230 oal. They all feed without a hitch!!
    :rockwoot::ar15:

Top Bottom