• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Are any reloaders having trouble finding primers? I have been checking around locally and everyone seems to be sold out of small rifle primers.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I bought 6000 small pistol primers at the last gun show for this very reason.

There was one loony dealer at the last 1500 who thought he could get away with charging $100 for a box of 1000 because they were in short supply. We just laughed at him and walked away. Later we found the same box of 1000 for a more reasonable $30. :patriot:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yep, most of the online stores are out. Don't load a lot of small rifle (yet), but I put some up. We managed to get an order in a Widener's awhile back, but it took a month to get the order.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not at all here in So IN.
    I'm just not seeing the run on primers/powder like there has been on guns/ammo.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I picked up the last 2 full boxes of CCI Military large rifle primers at PSS today, there was still a partial box left. That brings me up 5K for the large and 6K for small.... he was out of small rifle and another guy bought the last of the large pistol primers he had.

This time last year it was bullets, now its primers.... 1st of the year it was powder.

Be patient, it will be back in stock soon.... I hope!!!

Todd Levesque

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Indy, North
    Are any reloaders having trouble finding primers? I have been checking around locally and everyone seems to be sold out of small rifle primers.
    I was having problems getting that primer, nowhere to be found. I was amazed. I hit the 1500 and went after them hard there. Paid a bit much for them, but they were CCI. Then a back order came thru that week from a supplier in Ft. Wayne, unexpectedly I might add. So now I am heavy on the primers.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Holding primers

SRPs is all I use. I'm sitting on 700 until the 5K I have backordered online come through. Thankfully, I have this year's p dog loads all done. I imagine there are a lot of guys in a similar, or worse, position.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Be patient! We've been through this before. Seems to happen about every 10 years or so. In the 90s there was a time when primers were thought to have become extinct but they came back just as they will this time. For anyone who was loading back then or before, during one of the earlier shortages, I have no sympathy if they are short now since they failed to learn and plan ahead. Just do us all a favor and refuse to pay inflated prices right now and they will return much faster and more affordable.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Well, I'm just getting back into reloading, so I'm not in too much of a hurry. I am waiting until I can find some CCI No.41's in stock online.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    With the shortages of ammo, more and more people will be reloading. I haven't reloaded in about ten years. Now I am thinking about getting additional reloading dies for calibers I never reloaded before.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    It's to the point to where you have to backorder and hope for the best.

This is the key. The primer manufacturers are making the primers. They are going to distributors, but they take care of who is on the list first. Online sales are first, local distributors second. Get on the list. I ordered small rifle primers about three weeks ago and recieved them Friday. Other folks I have talked to say similar things, usually along the lines of ignoring the backorder dates given as you may recieve them earlier than that. Instant gratification amoung the gun community will die soon, replaced with patience and levelheadedness.

As for new or returning reloaders, sorry. Planning and foresight always trump in commodity based markets. I would hate to be learning loading right now, with the shortfalls in manufacturing capability the companies have to offer. In all seriousness, my advice to new loaders is to wait. Give it a year and see what happens. But, wait, what if they ban...stop right there. The time for worrying about that was a year ago. Things are in motion. We can only hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Trying to get into the game when the resources are on backorder makes little sense. The government isn't causing the shortages as they aren't paying for the primers or supplies. We only have ourselves to blame for the shortages.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Midway says that they are expecting to restock 4/11/09. Like I said, I'm not in a hurry, but slowly adding a component or two each pay day.

Top Bottom