• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I am posting to get feedback for others here about using the Walmart App. Below is a picture of Federal 9mm ammo that can be found at Walmart. I was using the app last night to see if there was any ammo instock. Here is what I saw:
    picture.php

That's right. Nothing at the Franklin store. So, I thought I would see if any other stores had some. Well what do you know! Not only does the app say the Greenwood store has some in stock, but it's not "limited availability" or "low stock". That must be a good sign!
    picture.php

I did not go into store last night. It was late and I didn't feel like going. I got up this morning and it still says it's in stock! Cool! I went in about 11 AM and there was nothing on the self. So, I got the manager, who called his inventory person. He claimed that there was none in stock. I told him that I drove specifically to the store since it was instock. He told me that it wasn't and that is can take up to 48 for the system to update.

What do you think? Seems weird to have an app that is supposed to update in real-time, but takes 48 hours do so.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Oh yeah, it's 1:30 PM now and the app says it's still in stock. :dunno:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    The app will show "in stock" or "limited stock" when the truck is opened and unloading starts. Most stores will keep the ammo locked up overnight and bring it out the next morning. From my experiences, going to "out of stock" status usually lags up to about an hour. "In stock" means 6 or more boxes, while "limited stock" means 5 or less.

Your best bet is to give the UPC number to someone at the store and have them check the "on hand" count. If they show any in stock, then it is in the building somewhere, unless an employee walked off with it.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Trust the app. If it says 'in stock', it is there. Walmart has the best JIT inventory system in the world. The managers are playing games and some are hiding inventory for resale or their buddies. My wife caught them lying to her when we knew the ammo was there. They will lie when the truck will be off-loaded. I'm not sure what you can do but take it up with higher management.

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    I watched a couple guys argue with the clerk about the app showing in-stock but nothing on the shelf. The manager showed up as I was passing through and told them that the app and website were wrong and that they should have called before coming in.

Couldn't help but do one of these as I walked away:

picard-facepalm.jpg

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I realize that employees must be sick of dealing with ammo sales, so I was a considerate as possible. That being said, I did express my frustrations about info presented on app.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I don't know... I go into the Camby Walmart all the time, and the app is wrong almost 100% of the time.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    The Managers at the Richmond store are all a bunch of donkeys. The app shows it in stock but I am always told, our inventory has been off for months and that app is wrong". Been told that by every manager there. They are simply stashing it to buy themselves or for their employees to buy. I no longer do business with them. I'll drive 20 minutes to one of the other ones that aren't pricks if I buy from them again at all. The last manager I talked to actually had the nerve to tell me that no Walmart anywhere in the country were getting ammo in. I hate stupid people. :xmad:

LonSch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Valparaiso
    The walmarts around NWI NEVER have anything that the app says is in stock. It is very frustrating. I don't feel like arguing with them for 3 boxes of Tula.
    It is weird when it says it is out of stock of something and it is sitting on the shelf.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Guys, with the exception of the Federal Lightning .22LR, the app is correct. Wal-Mart probably has one of the best inventory systems in the world. I accept that the occasional error may occur, but face it, it doesn't happen on the grand scale that many think it does. It's simply shady employees, as much as I hate to throw accusations around.

When a truck arrives at Wal-Mart and it is opened up, all of the inventory of that truck is immediately added to the store's inventory via an electronic manifest. What that means is that the cargo shows "in stock" (6 or more) or "limited stock" (5 or less) while it is still being unloaded. As far as ammo is concerned, some stores put it out straight from the truck to the floor, while others hold it either in the manager's office or a locked box/cage in the storeroom overnight and put it out the shelves the next morning. The key is to figure out each store's stocking habits.

If you go to a store that shows ammo in stock on the app, the first step if it is not on the shelf is to ask an associate SOMEWHERE ELSE in the store to scan the UPC number to get you the "on hand" count. This will give you fuel for any arguments you have with the sporting goods associate. Then, proceed back to sporting goods and politely inform them that they have ammo that you are looking for in stock but not on the shelf and that you would like to purchase it. If they deny that there is any in the store, your next step is to have the sporting goods associate scan the UPC to confirm your findings.

If the shenanigans continue, get a manager involved. Ask them why the store's on-hand shows XX amount of ammo but you are being told that none is there. Ask them if they are concerned that ammunition is missing and cannot be accounted for. To be fair, the app lags going from "in stock" to "out of stock", and may take anywhere from near instantaneous to up to an hour to do so. But, the store's on-hand count updates immediately as items are run through a register. If the on-hand count says there is ammo, it's more likely only one of two scenarios: the ammo is misplaced/hidden somewhere in the store, or someone has stolen it and it hasn't been ran through a register to adjust on-hand counts. And, since most ammo is kept in a locked cabinet, that rules out public theft. Whenever an employee hides an item for either themselves or someone else to purchase later, the term is "understocking", and employees can and will be fired for it.

I encountered understocking for the first time last night. A store (which I won't identify) showed limited stock of the Winchester 1000-packs of .22LR came in on yesterday afternoon's truck. I was not familiar with that store, but a friend who lives in that town told me that ammo is put out around 7:30 PM. I arrived about 45 minutes before that, and was told by the sporting goods associate that they had no .22LR and that none came in on the truck.

I asked her to scan the number, and she reluctantly did and told me that it said zero in stock. Her demeanor lead me to believe that she was being untruthful, so I went to another section of the store and asked for an associate to scan the UPC. Lo and behold, it showed two boxes in stock! I then went to customer service and asked for a manager, and informed the manager of the discrepancy between the two scans. The manager called the sporting goods associate, and a box of the ammo miraculously appeared out of oblivion!

The sporting goods associate told the manager that one of the boxes had sold earlier and that I could have the one she had just conjured up from the great beyond. It's funny how the woman had told me that no .22LR had come in, then suddenly it had and someone had already bought one before me. The system still showed 2 in stock, but I was too tired to argue the point that there were two boxes in the store and not one, so I took my one box and left. The sporting goods associate wasn't too pleased that I caught her lying to me, and told me that it was dangerous for the public to know what ammo came in on trucks. What she really meant was that employees couldn't hide ammo back and claim that there was none if the public had the ability to see on Wal-Mart's site what is in stock at a particular store.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sorry M4, but your post is too long for me to read. Guess I must be a little ADD after all.:)

However, the app has only worked for me one time on some of the Federal 9mm. It was at the Crawfordsville store.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Sorry M4, but your post is too long for me to read. Guess I must be a little ADD after all.:)

No problem. :) I just typed it out to help someone go from leaving the store empty-handed to leaving with what they came for. Since Friday, I have scored 7000 rounds of .22LR at Wal-Mart stores, and figured I'd pass along some of my observations.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    UPDATE:
    Monday May 27, 2013 the Greenwood Walmart had the most 9mm I have seen in quite some time. Over 20 boxes! The also had 1 box of 44 mag, and some 40 (a box or 2). No 22 and I think the had some 45, but it was gone when I got there. The APP had it correct. The store just didn't bring it out for a couple of days.

winstonwolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    On the run

However, the app has only worked for me one time on some of the Federal 9mm. It was at the Crawfordsville store.

:ugh: He takes the time to type out some priceless advice and yet the best you can do is complain it takes too long to read?

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Wal-mart sucks. Went there last night at about 11:30. I just want 1000 rounds of .22lr. I pulled up the inventory for the person working, and they told me it was against the law for them to go and get it for me.:dunno: So I asked what a productive member of society is supposed to do, he told me to be there between 7:00-8:00 a.m. daily. That would be good, so long as I did not have a job that requires me to be there long before then. The kid working at sporting goods also told me that there was not a manager in the store who could get it for me. I don't know, can't wait for there to be hundreds of boxes for $24. They are the inventors of "on-time" inventory and now when we are using it, they are telling us that it doesn't work?(By the way, this was at greenwood)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Guys, with the exception of the Federal Lightning .22LR, the app is correct. Wal-Mart probably has one of the best inventory systems in the world. I accept that the occasional error may occur, but face it, it doesn't happen on the grand scale that many think it does. It's simply shady employees, as much as I hate to throw accusations around.

When a truck arrives at Wal-Mart and it is opened up, all of the inventory of that truck is immediately added to the store's inventory via an electronic manifest. What that means is that the cargo shows "in stock" (6 or more) or "limited stock" (5 or less) while it is still being unloaded. As far as ammo is concerned, some stores put it out straight from the truck to the floor, while others hold it either in the manager's office or a locked box/cage in the storeroom overnight and put it out the shelves the next morning. The key is to figure out each store's stocking habits.

If you go to a store that shows ammo in stock on the app, the first step if it is not on the shelf is to ask an associate SOMEWHERE ELSE in the store to scan the UPC number to get you the "on hand" count. This will give you fuel for any arguments you have with the sporting goods associate. Then, proceed back to sporting goods and politely inform them that they have ammo that you are looking for in stock but not on the shelf and that you would like to purchase it. If they deny that there is any in the store, your next step is to have the sporting goods associate scan the UPC to confirm your findings.

If the shenanigans continue, get a manager involved. Ask them why the store's on-hand shows XX amount of ammo but you are being told that none is there. Ask them if they are concerned that ammunition is missing and cannot be accounted for. To be fair, the app lags going from "in stock" to "out of stock", and may take anywhere from near instantaneous to up to an hour to do so. But, the store's on-hand count updates immediately as items are run through a register. If the on-hand count says there is ammo, it's more likely only one of two scenarios: the ammo is misplaced/hidden somewhere in the store, or someone has stolen it and it hasn't been ran through a register to adjust on-hand counts. And, since most ammo is kept in a locked cabinet, that rules out public theft. Whenever an employee hides an item for either themselves or someone else to purchase later, the term is "understocking", and employees can and will be fired for it.

I encountered understocking for the first time last night. A store (which I won't identify) showed limited stock of the Winchester 1000-packs of .22LR came in on yesterday afternoon's truck. I was not familiar with that store, but a friend who lives in that town told me that ammo is put out around 7:30 PM. I arrived about 45 minutes before that, and was told by the sporting goods associate that they had no .22LR and that none came in on the truck.

I asked her to scan the number, and she reluctantly did and told me that it said zero in stock. Her demeanor lead me to believe that she was being untruthful, so I went to another section of the store and asked for an associate to scan the UPC. Lo and behold, it showed two boxes in stock! I then went to customer service and asked for a manager, and informed the manager of the discrepancy between the two scans. The manager called the sporting goods associate, and a box of the ammo miraculously appeared out of oblivion!

The sporting goods associate told the manager that one of the boxes had sold earlier and that I could have the one she had just conjured up from the great beyond. It's funny how the woman had told me that no .22LR had come in, then suddenly it had and someone had already bought one before me. The system still showed 2 in stock, but I was too tired to argue the point that there were two boxes in the store and not one, so I took my one box and left. The sporting goods associate wasn't too pleased that I caught her lying to me, and told me that it was dangerous for the public to know what ammo came in on trucks. What she really meant was that employees couldn't hide ammo back and claim that there was none if the public had the ability to see on Wal-Mart's site what is in stock at a particular store.

I appreciate your insight, however, I have went through all this at the Richmond store already and it does no good even talking to a manager. Been told the same thing by ALL of them I have talked to. I was there 30 minutes before they put the ammo out. The app the previous day had went from out of stock to in stock. Had an employee from another part of the store scan the barcode and it said they had 20 boxes of federal 9mm on hand.

I waited for them to bring ammo out and guess what? Nothing but shotgun shells. I got the department manager that was on duty and she told me that the inventory is "off" and that they haven't gotten anything but shotgun shells in since December. :rolleyes: I asked to her to explain then why the inventory changes from 0 to 20 yet they didn't get any in and she just kept on repeating the same old bs lines the app is wrong and so is there inventory blah blah blah.

After talking to a couple more managers including the store manager it was quite obvious they have rehearsed there excuses together and that someone there is hoarding any ammo that comes in for themselves or for other employees.

It's also not just Walmart doing it. I caught Dunham's in Richmond doing it a few weeks ago. They have signs on the door limiting ammo to 3 boxes or 1 bulk pack like everybody else. I just so happened to be at the sporting goods counter when they brought out ammo to stock the shelves. They put out quite a few boxes of Remington UMC 250ct 9mm bulk boxes. I didn't have the extra money that day for the bulk box so I had to pass. I was at the counter paying for something else I bought and lo and behold one of the gun counter employees comes to the other register with a plain brown box. He was trying to hide it but he pulled out 8 50ct boxes of Remington 9mm that never hit the shelves. He paid for them and then left. I spoke up about it while it was happening and was completely blown off by the female manager on duty and told that she had no idea that she was busy doing something else. I use to do a lot of business with Dunham's but I won't buy anything there anymore unless I just can't get it somewhere else.

Top Bottom