• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Any problems with reloading for this caliber? Life of barrel (chrome in this case) and the fouling. (i keep seeing .224?) I know it depends greatly on the products you use. Also advice on some better equipment and dies. Any thoughts would be of great help.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    .224 and 223 are the same thing. i have had no problem reloading this caliber, my only problem so far has been finding a brass catcher that doesn't jam my ar

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im not being a smart ass but right now the best source is where ever you find them. i dont know where you are but if you are around bluffton you might try britton at 21 century. i screwed up and didn't buy enough last time i went.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i got a 15$ brass catcher from the 1500. im not sure of the brand but it was pretty much a waste of 15 bucks. it does great for 8-10 shots but then it jams the gun. i know its the catcher because the gun does fine without it. the case get hung up in the mouth of the catcher and after a few shots there is no where for the case to go when it gets ejected.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    You need to modify that brass catcher. I threaded a large zip tie through the mesh right where it meets up with the fabric to keep it open instead of sagging closed.
    I've shot 2 30round mags before emptying it with no problems.

stookless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    I like to use AA 2230 powder and CCI primers. Load them mid-range and you cant go wrong. Very Accurate in my bolt action Savage.

mistergreentree

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I like to spread a tarp on the ground to catch brass when we shoot...I am shooting at our farm too though and not at a range so it is easy to lay the tarp..shoot and collect.

I like Hornady vmax bullets 55 gr with BLC2 powder and CCI primers...works great for me.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Is there any difference in DIE sets or are they just brand names? I would be using a kind of communal reloading workshop I have set up with some friends of friend and want to get something that will last.

Also would there be any difference in powder than that used in handgun ammo?

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    .223/5.56 is a great round to reload. Stick with a popular powder to start with, data is easy to come by for Varget, Reloader 15, IMR or H4895, 2230, or BLC2. These powders pretty much fill the case so it's almost impossible to double charge. You will have to take what you get with primers as they are tough to find right now. I am using winchester primers with Varget and 77 sierras for matches out to 300 yards and they don't hold me back. I have Lee, Hornady and Redding dies. Honestly the Lee dies have performed great for me. I do use a Redding seating die for 600 yard match loads but mostly because it makes me feel better.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Powder depends somewhat on bullet weight.
    I use a lot of AA 2520. But I load heavier than usual bullets - this probably isn't the best choice for the usual 55gr bullets.

Primers are in short supply these days. Grab them where you can find them.

One thing I would strongly recommend for loading .223 - any rifle round, really - is to get a case guage. Dillon sells these for about $20, and I believe the Dillon style to be more desirable than other types. The Dillon style case guage is a machined metal cylinder, bored out with the exact dimensions of a correctly sized case. After sizing and trimming, you drop the case in the guage. If it fits, it's perfect. If it doesn't go in all the way it's too big. If it drops in below the level of the indicator, it's too small. Different .223 rifles can vary in chamber dimensions, and if you just size by "what works in my rifle" you can run in to trouble.

Another big challenge with rifle ammo is getting hold of a good supply of quality brass. Some folks on line will sell once fired military spec brass. Some of them will also clean, deprime, size, and trim it for you (this saves your labor but also costs $). When you are getting started loading .223, your biggest component expense will probably be your brass.

Last edited:

Todd Levesque

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Indy, North
    Powder suggestion

Hodgdon BLC II is a very good powder. Although as previously stated, get what you can, when you can. It's still out there,(reloading supplies) you may just have to wait a bit. The BLC II seems to be the most popular. I understand CCI are some of the best primers as well. I have a hodge podge of powders and primers, projectile. I am snatching up what I can when I find it, I'll figure out what works best later, or sell and trade as time progresses.:draw:

Top Bottom