• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I have been reloading for about 2 month now and I am noticing difference on recommended, min and max loads. Which do you believe. For instance when reloading 125 FMJ 9mm with alliant powder.

Lyman book - 4.5-5 grains for 125 grain JHP
    Alliant sheet - 5.5 grains for 125 grain FMJ
    handloading.com - 5.6-6.2 grain for 125 grain FMJ
    The complete reloading manual for 9mm - 6.2 grains max for 125 grain FMJ

Which source is the best? I would think the powder manaufature but not sure. Is there a difference in powder loads between one manaufactures FMJ bullet and another? I know the ideal way would be to use a chronograph and measure speed of the bullet to help pick a load but I do not have one right now.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    There are a lot of other sources of differences than just the charge weight.

Yes, the bullets can make a difference. Two different bullets can be the same weight, but if they are different shapes, one might have more metal in contact with the rifling and thus build up more pressure and need less powder.

Another thing that can make a big difference is seating depth. A bullet seated further back in the case will generate more pressure even with the same loading otherwise.

What I generally do when developing a new load is go out and look at as many different sources as I can. Record the min, max, and COL for each load. Then I try to figure out a charge that is exactly in the middle between all the extremes.

Some folks say primers can make a big difference. I wouldn't know because I have always used Winchester primers.

Some sources - particularly online - seem mostly interested in generating the hottest loads they possibly can. If I get the vibe from a website that it is geared to "nuclear" loads I don't include their data at all. Sometimes I have also ignored data that was wildly different than all my other sources - especially if it is a lot hotter than all my other sources. If a source is using the exact same kind of bullets I'm using, I give that a bit more consideration.

I am a big believer in sweet shooting ammo. I have little use for hot when it's just for the sake of hotness.

I have always gotten good results from two sources in particular: the Speer book and the Accurate Arms book. For whatever reason, I often get loads that chrono just as predicted from these two sources.

Last edited:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Start to the low side with your load. If you can use a chronograph to find where you are at on velocity. Then you can compare your load data to your sources and find what matches your results. A chronograph is a very valuable tool in working up safe loads.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Start to the low side with your load. If you can use a chronograph to find where you are at on velocity. Then you can compare your load data to your sources and find what matches your results. A chronograph is a very valuable tool in working up safe loads.

Yep, what he said. You don't really have an idea of your results otherwise. They aren't that expensive either, $80 or so and up and very helpful.

Top Bottom