• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Went to Bradis in Mooresville today and while there Fed Ex or UPS Guy comes in with 2 cases of Fiocchi and 6 cases of Wolf. Long story short I buy a case of Wolf when the clerk would not bulk price the Fiocchi for me due to person with authority to set price on Fiocchi not there.
    Owner and wife come in after paid and getting ready to walk out and explain no longer selling .223 by the case but by the box. Guy wanted me to give back the case and refund my money due to new policy of selling by the box. WTF?!
    Obviously leave with my case as my transaction was complete and vowed never to go back.
    What is going on? My buddy on Morgan Co. Swat tells me they can not train due to ammo shortage and will not be guaranteed shipment until Jan 2010. While searching for ammo for his team he is told that even Wolf has a department of defense contract. We are fighting a two front war and supplying our troops with foreign made ammo?!!
    It is going to be a long hot summer.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This is not just Bradis. lovemywoods stopped by 4 gunshops in north-central Indiana on his way back home from a trip this week, and several of them were doing the exact same thing.

glockman22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle
    The three main gun shops I go to, and the stores that carry ammo around new castle will still let you buy as much as you want, if they have it, the gun shops still advertise cases of ammo of different calibers

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I spent about an hour in there today and saw no signs about limits and originally intended to by the Wolf black box at 500 rd for 169 until I saw the brown come in. They also had no problem pricing the case of Wolf 30 carbine at 400 Bucks! OUCH!
    I have spent a lot of money in there over the years and thought it quite ballsy to ask me to give my purchase back just to price it back to me at a 20 percent markup per box. Business is business. That is just poor business.
    I understand the market is tight but those that whine about sharing the wealth should just go sign up to be grass roots activists for Obama.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    This whole ammo shortage is unfortunate because it seem that once prices go up to a given point, they do not come down, this is really getting out of control now.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I absolutely refuse to believe there is a shortage of ammo due to demand on supply by the general populace. We manage to supply side cigarettes and beer tabs well enough and we are expected to believe that we can't punch out brass and lead at a sufficient rate? C'mon be realistic. There are market manipulators at work well beyond the average Bubba like myself picking up a thousand rounds rather than a couple boxes.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yep, I smell something wrotten here too. One would think the Ammunition Mfgs. would be pumping out their products like asprin right now. That is, if there was not some other power controlling their business. You think?

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Yep Vet, I do think. That is what worries me. We live in a market economy that supplies cigs booze and condoms at a rate of consumption higher than ammo consumption rates but we are to believe they just cant keep up. No way I will buy that. Not with automated processes for items like ammo. No specialty tooling there. Initial set up and that is it. Just doesn't fly when 700,000 jobs shed last month and I see guys on the street all day long that would love to make 12 bucks an hour filling casings. Just doesn't wash.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Yep, I smell something wrotten here too. One would think the Ammunition Mfgs. would be pumping out their products like asprin right now. That is, if there was not some other power controlling their business. You think?

the manufacturers are in the same boat as us with fear of legislation but they have a lot more on the line. they have the ability to double production but haven't do to the fear of ammo tax etc. as it would bankrupt their companies almost instantly.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    the manufacturers are in the same boat as us with fear of legislation but they have a lot more on the line. they have the ability to double production but haven't do to the fear of ammo tax etc. as it would bankrupt their companies almost instantly.

Don't buy that one bit. The tax would not be immediate and the earliest it could be enacted into law I believe would be July 1st. So even if they did ramp up to double the production the supply would be bought up, no make that GOBBLED up in advance of any tax increase passed.

So, there has to be something else, I'm more inclined to think that there might be some collusion behind the scenes to drive up prices by the manufactures. Anybody seen if their profits have been released for the 1st quarter of 2009 yet?

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I cry foul i know were there almost 20 million rounds of M855 and Xm 193 in storage ready for sale. at very good prices .... tell that dept or agency to get in touch with me

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    {searches for tinfoil hat smilie....}

Cosner's in Bedford doesn't have a box limit on ammo. They had some .223 (didn't see price) and 7.62x39 for $14/40 or a Yugo tin can of 1180 for about $380 if I remember right. Also had .38 (target and SD), 9mm HP (Aguila), and some other stuff.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    why would an ammo or gun manufacturer go out and spend a bunch of money to expand their production capacity to have the demoRATS ban them? I'm sure they're pumping it out as fast as they can with what they have.

This is the same thing as gas prices. I live in Lafayette and it seems weekly that people write into the paper whining about how gas prices are higher in Lafayette than surrounding towns. I think some of these people think that all the station owners in Lafayette sit at a round table every morning colluding how to rip off every one buying gas. If 10 owners are sitting there and they vote to raise gas 20 cents that day, you know 1 out of those 10 will not raise his price nearly that much and get 10 times the business. After all, idiots will drive 10 miles out of their way to save a buck on a tank of gas.

I can't believe that all the ammo manufacturers are colluding to raise prices. There may be a few who are trying it but money talks. A $1 in my pocket now is better than the prospect of a little more in the future. I don't think there is any less ammo being produced and shipped now than there was before. It's just that more people are buying it now. Most gun owners don't keep 50 rounds on hand for each caliber and now they are scared so they buy anything they can get their hands on.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Gas is different then ammo. I talked to a guy who owned a gas station for years and he told me that gas stations set their price at the rate they think it should be to cover the next shipment of gas. It makes sense because they have to have money to buy gas to then sell. Ammo I don't believe is like that. They have a pretty straight forward price (at least they did) and its with the production. I have to agree something is smelly here...:poop:

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I have spent the last three days on the hunt for ammo. We have always carried a good stock of ammo, but it has slowly dwindled. I was told, (yes, I was told so believe it or not)
    1. Remington can not get enough primers.
    2. Winchester can not get enough brass.
    3. Federal has a 6 month contract to produce .40 for homeland defense, (why do they need that much ammo?)
    4. The US Military is buying a crap load of ammo, maybe Korea is next?
    5. Importers are having their shipments slowed down at the ports, US Customs.

Yesterday I ended up purchasing 9mm 115G FMJ Federal from a distributor for $16.50 a box plus shipping, and since I do this for a living I have to bump up the price to ? I purchased some 5.56 that I will have to sell for $14.95 a box of 20, (at least I am going to beat Natchez by 4 cents on that one.)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    it has to do with cash flow & raw materials..
    not enough cash or credit on hand limits the amount of raw materials one can purchase..

and even if you have the cash, getting the materials to the production line has problems..

I work with steel fabrication and we have orders & cash.. but we have trouble getting steel because trains don't run with only 1 order on it..

as demand for ammo keeps going up you might see companies buying mines &l raw materials production equipment...

I remember about 10 years ago hearing of copper mines here in the US shutting down...
    then a few years later of china buying & reopening the mines , but shipping 100 % of the ore to china...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Gas is different then ammo. I talked to a guy who owned a gas station for years and he told me that gas stations set their price at the rate they think it should be to cover the next shipment of gas. It makes sense because they have to have money to buy gas to then sell. Ammo I don't believe is like that. They have a pretty straight forward price (at least they did) and its with the production. I have to agree something is smelly here...:poop:

Why is gas any different than ammo? A gun store owner has to use his proceeds from previous sales to order new ammo at higher prices. The people buying at these prices are responsible for the high prices. If people quite paying it, they'd have to lower them.

Top Bottom