• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Ok, let's assume that a person has most if not all the equipment they need to start reloading. Now they want to start buying the supplies IE bullet6s, powder, primers. I know you have to follow prescribed formulas for how much of what powder with which particular bullet. My question is where online would one FIND this info?

Greg

Jafo1959

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Polk County
    Best thing to have is atleast one reloading manual, ie; Speer. Two different manuals would be better. If you go to the powder manufacturer's web site you can find their recommended loads.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I HIGHLY suggest getting a reloading manual and reading it cover to cover TWICE.... YOUTUBE can help with the set up of the press depending on whats out there and what you have... but I believe it would be very unsafe if not reckless to begin reloading without having read a reloading book FIRST.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The Firing Line has some good info but i have problems trusting someone who could know less than i do. i go online to get a basic idea of what i want then use reloading manuals to come to my starting load. online forums are a good place to get ideas or answers to specific problems but i wouldn't trust a man from ? that may never have reloaded in his life with my rifle or my life.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I totally agree on the reading the manuals. My question I guess should be what manuals should I be reading? Also I saw at midway they had caliber specific reloading data books that listed several hundred/thousand combinations of bullet and powder loads, BUT it seemed that the ones I wanted (9mm, .40S&W) were out of stock. I at this point am looking for suggestions of which powder people recommend, or which particular bullet. I like most here would verify any data that I am given with both the bullet and the powder manufacterer. I was hoping someone would say XYZ powder is a good one for reloading pistol rounds, or avoid ABC powder for pistol rounds.

Right now I am looking at picking up Lyman's reloading 49th Edition, Lee modern reloading 2nd Edition, and ABC's of reloading.

Any other suggestions or better ideas I am more than willing to listen. :)

Greg

PS I have a Lee 1000 press if that helps.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    cheap and easy route.... berrys preffered plated bullets... less expensive than jacketed, but without the issues of lead
    HP 38 powder
    primer does not matter
    brass whatever you can get
    I have read both they lyman and the lee.... while the lyman might be a better manual, i learned from the lee so i am partial to it.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    The Lyman manual is probably the best general manual offered. The Lee serves no purpose if you have the Lyman. For your second manual I would suggest the manual offered by the manufacturer of the bullets you choose to use, and for the 3rd, a manual from the manufacturer of the powder you choose to use. By combining those three and blending the data, you almost assure yourself of success and safety.

Although the ABC's of Reloading, by Dean Grennell is an excellent source of info, and a good read, most of that same info is duplicated in the Lyman. Grennell does rather ease the tension on occasion with such comments as "Never mix alcohol and gunpowder. Even though it can be done, it tastes like sh--".

Top Bottom