• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've got a friend who shoots a lot of .40 (I don't have anything in that caliber) and I'd like to help him load up some on my equipment. I've got 10mm dies. Does anyone know if this will work? I know the diameter is the same but I'm concerned about the length.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I have a set of Lee dies in .40 S&W and they are marked ".40 S&W / 10mm". So for Lee, at least, both are the same. I think the only change is in the case length and your final OAL between the two. But as always, check with the die manufacturer for the brand you have to be sure.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If they are just 10mm dies you wil probably have problems getting the belling die to go down far enough. If your set uses a combination bullet seater/ taper crimp die, you will probably have trouble getting the case mouth properly closed. On the other hand, a .40S&W set will properly do 10mm, as you just unscrew the dies a little in the press. Good Luck

I have seen people mill down .357 die bodies so they could adjust down for .38spl. but with a lee die set costing under $30, I just buy the right ones.

Last edited:

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Let him purchase a set of 40 cal dies for your press and you're good to go. I had plans to set up my Dillon 40/10 mm dies to reload 40. Then my boy went out and bought a 10 mm pistol. So instead of readjusting the dies everytime, I'll buy another set.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Let him purchase a set of 40 cal dies for your press and you're good to go. I had plans to set up my Dillon 40/10 mm dies to reload 40. Then my boy went out and bought a 10 mm pistol. So instead of readjusting the dies everytime, I'll buy another set.

^^^+1 I did just that. Plus another die block for my RL550..Bill.

Top Bottom