• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I primarily shoot a G27 with 180gr. It's got some snap of course. I shoot fairly well with it, controlled slow fire. I was wondering if stepping down to the 165gr would let me recover the front sight quicker.

What do I need to consider before swapping out to a 165gr?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I would consider a trip to the range with the lighter bullet, then decide whether or not its better in your gun.

Thats how I needed up with the 180. The 165 felt sloppy a few years back, but I have not tried again. Was considering another go at it. My Glock was having a ftf issue with the 165. I later learned it was a defective slide release spring that was the issue, not the load. But since then I've stayed with 180gr.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    With that small of a pistol everything is going to be snappy. If you are reloading these rounds yourself you might try a different powder. I load my 165 gr rounds with Titegroup while my friend loads his 180 gr rounds with HS-6. His are not as snappy in my G22 as mine and I believe it's more of the powder than the weight of the bullet. IMO, and it's just my opinion, the G27 is a great firearm, however I wouldn't own one myself because of the recoil it produces from being so small. It's a great concealable self defense weapon, but it's just too small for me to manage fast follow-up shots.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got a G27.
    155 and 165 gr bullets work great in that gun but I load and carry 185s in mine because I also shoot my 40 reloads in a G35.

alphabrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    The heavier bullet should produce less felt recoil because of a lesser velocity. If the power factor for a 155 and a 180 grain were the same, then said felt recoil should be less. Of course in a sub gun like a 27, it is going to be hard to tell.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah, if you're wanting a load that is less "snappy", a light charge under a heavier bullet would get you there. Going down in weight, if both are full-throttle loads, will likely result in higher recoil velocity, which is the technical term for "snappy".

Top Bottom