Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Clays for 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shark View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to break the seal to look at it. Is it not a spherical powder like TG? Powders like TG, Bullseye, 231 and H110 etc. are what meters best out of my Lyman. AA#5 looks like it should meter well but it sometimes causes a gritty feeling in my measure. I guess "scoop and measure" is better than not shooting at all.
    Clays is a flake powder and it it meters like red dot,unique and others. 231/hp-38 is flake as well but much smaller and meters well out my of lee auto disk and lee perfect. The big flake powders do well out of my lee perfect but I have zeo trust in the auto disk with large flake powders. I wound up with some squib loads in .38 and thankfully had the instinct not to fire again. I might have lost a perfectly good smith due to a bullet lodged in the barrel. I like clays due to its low charge weight but it comes with responsibilty. Me personally I have found 3.2 grns. Red Dot behind a 124 lead RN is way pleasant and the brass is pretty much piled up about 2 feet to to right. A real mild plinker. I agree there is not alot of room for error with clays so safety is paramount.

I have used it in 9mm, with 124gr bullets, but I like using the Universal Clays in 9mm much better. I leave the Clays for my 45 ACP loads. As far as metering, it should be just fine, I have no trouble keeping it +/- .1 gr in my Lee powder measure. I still check it every 10 or so throws, but have not ever had an issue with it tossing wild weights.
    I dial 1911, it stops the threat faster

Grandmaster
    Clays is a pretty fast heat range powder. It works great in Shotshells and other loads that are 8,000 to 12,000 pressure factors. (like 148 flush wadcutter .38spl loads) It would not be my first choice for 9mm, .40 or other high pressure loads.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shark View Post
    It's just plain old Clays, not Universal Clays. The Hodgdon data shows a range of .3gr for my bullet weight. It's definitely doable as long as it meters like TG. The amazing thing is at a 3.0gr charge weight, that pound should yield over 2300 rounds.

Clays is the weird one that comes in 14 ounce jugs, for some odd reason. My guess is so is equal to other powders in rounds to pound of powder ratio.

With my RCBS and Hornady measures it is not as easy to get the really light weights as the heavier 5.0 or weights. Yes, 3.0 grs would last a very long time. From my experience with Clays is that it has a very small window for mistakes, have read it can spike a 1/10 of a grain showing over-pressure. In 45acp but it shoots like a dream not tried it in anything else so far but it does meter well.

I've just loaded 500 125gr 9mm with Clays. 3.7gr gives 1050fps average and its very consistent. I have absolutely no issues with metering thru my Dillon powder measure.

I have used a lot of Clays powder over the years. More than a dozen 8 pound jugs. I load it for shotgun and target loads for many pistol calibers. It is not the best choice for 9mm, but it can work.

I use 3.4 gr. of Clays with a 125 gr. lead RN bullet. It is pretty accurate out of my S&W M&P9. I have shot that load in a steel plate match and in a few 3-gun matches. It functions fine and knocks down the targets. It even did a fine job on the Texas Star.

Remember, use good judgement when reloading and always double check any load suggestions with at least one or two good loading manuals. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmag View Post
    Clays is the weird one that comes in 14 ounce jugs, for some odd reason.
    The reason is that Clays is bulkier than most powders and the standard 1 pound bottle only fits 14oz of Clays. This is more noticeable with the 8 pound jugs. Clays and a few other powders need a larger jug due to their bulkiness. That bulk is handy when loading light target loads. It fills the case better. One time I was switching powders in my measure from Clays to AA#5. I thought I would check what each powder would weigh for the same volume. I was loading 3.8 gr. of Clays for my 38 revolver. I dumped out the Clays and added AA#5 to the measure. The same volume of #5 measured 9 grains. Quite a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip_McCord View Post
    The reason is that Clays is bulkier than most powders and the standard 1 pound bottle only fits 14oz of Clays. This is more noticeable with the 8 pound jugs. Clays and a few other powders need a larger jug due to their bulkiness. That bulk is handy when loading light target loads. It fills the case better. One time I was switching powders in my measure from Clays to AA#5. I thought I would check what each powder would weigh for the same volume. I was loading 3.8 gr. of Clays for my 38 revolver. I dumped out the Clays and added AA#5 to the measure. The same volume of #5 measured 9 grains. Quite a difference.
    That is interesting. I have not had much of chance to find other powders for the 45 to experiment like that. It does make good sense now that you mention it, seems like 4.2gr fills a 45acp case about half way.

I use Clays now for 9mm after using PowerPistol and HS6. HS6 was nice, PowerPistol was dirty and flashy, and both took more than Clays. Standard load right now is 124 gr JHP over 3.5 gr Clays. Clean, consistent, cheap. No problems with metering out of my Lee Autodisc, except when first starting again after a long layoff. Have to measure the first 10, then it seems to settle down after that. Don't have to worry about double charging, since 3.5 grains fills it most of the way.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

Quote Originally Posted by spencer rifle View Post
    I use Clays now for 9mm after using PowerPistol and HS6. HS6 was nice, PowerPistol was dirty and flashy, and both took more than Clays. Standard load right now is 124 gr JHP over 3.5 gr Clays. Clean, consistent, cheap. No problems with metering out of my Lee Autodisc, except when first starting again after a long layoff. Have to measure the first 10, then it seems to settle down after that. Don't have to worry about double charging, since 3.5 grains fills it most of the way.
    Glad that works well for you. At 3.5 gr, that's 2000 rounds per pound. It doesn't get more economical than that. For top velocities in a 9mm there are better choices, but you can get some good loads with Clays.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast