• lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Introduction

A good friend and INGO member has a Ruger Scout rifle. Last summer, he dropped it off at "Lovemywoods Foster Home for Wayward Firearms" so I could experiment with some different factory and hand loaded rounds. The goal was to find several cartridges that shot well in this rifle. It was not to be an exhaustive study but it did include 3 powder types with varying weights, 3 different bullet weights, 8 bullet styles, and 5 factory types of ammo. All these variables made testing and analysis rather complicated. A total of 69 targets were shot and 436 rounds sent downrange.

I posted a thread on load development that described my approach to load development when there are fewer variables.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...i-do-load-development-rifles.html#post4749173

The Ruger Scout Rifle

Here's INGO moderator Que shooting the Scout Rifle.

1bus6.jpg

The term Scout Rifle was popularized by the late Col. Jeff Cooper (founder of Gunsite Academy). History buffs can find more information here or via Google:
    Jeff Cooper?s Scout Rifles

It is a hunting and survival rifle and was not designed as a military arm. It is intended to be a reliable firearm with strong knockdown power that could be used for both near and far game. Cooper defined a Scout rifle as being less than 6.6 pounds and 39 inches long sporting a 30 caliber round or greater. Scout type rifles often employ a low-power long eye relief optic mounted forward of the ejection port.

The specific rifle I was testing was the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308 Winchester. It had a green/black laminate stock. The optic was a Hi-Lux LER2732 2-7x32 long eye relief scope. It had extra spacers giving it a 13.75" length-of-pull. The stock trigger broke at 4.25 pounds. It came with one 10-round polymer magazine.

212ikv8.jpg

Approach to Testing

This testing would use both factory and reloaded rounds. I reloaded rounds with 150, 168, and 178 grain bullets using Benchmark, Varget, and CFE223 powders. I typically took the published minimum and maximum loads and divided the ranges into 5 segments. I loaded 10 rounds of each recipe so I could shoot two 5-round groups.

Groups would be analyzed using OnTarget software to determine the minute-of-angle (MOA) of each group. I recorded the best 4 round MOA as well as the 5 round MOA. I like to have the 4 round data in case there is an odd single shot.

All data were entered into an Excel spreadsheet so I could analyze the data several ways looking for trends and correlations.

2eyyr82.jpg

Phase 1 Testing

Phase 1 testing was done at 50 yards along a dam on our property.

vfjj8p.jpg

34edmcn.jpg

I used paper plates for each test. They are very cheap and yet sturdy. Two target stands allowed me to shoot up to 8 tests for each trip back and forth. Pictures were taken of each target to input into the OnTarget software.

noewiq.jpg

Close up of a single plate.

14uba6e.jpg

Here is the same plate with the OnTarget results overlayed. This group had a 1.798 MOA.
    I'm not going to display all the individual targets. I just wanted to give the reader an idea of how the tests were performed and the data collected.

vgu9tk.jpg

During the testing, I turned the shooting bench to face across the pond and shot at a full-sized Bobcat Steel IPSC target at 211 yards. Had two rounds hit 0.750 MOA! Now I'm not going to start thumping my chest and proclaiming the Scout rifle to be a three quarter MOA rifle. I know that two rounds "doth not a tack driver make!" But I still liked it. :yesway:

59wlls.jpg

Phase 1 Results

The data from the first phase of testing are shown below. I sorted them from the best 5 shot group to the worst.

Several criteria were used to select which ammo types to continue testing. Certainly the 5 shot performance was key, but I also looked for groups that had a really good 4 shot group.

A total of 15 ammo types were selected.

Top Half of the Phase 1 Data
    4ruc8y.jpg

Bottom Half of the Phase 1 Data

28ix82p.jpg

25kl7ip.jpg

Phase 2 Testing

After another stint of reloading to prepare the loads I wanted to test further, I set up at 50 yards but was shooting off a concrete porch. Thirty more targets each with a 5-round group were shot and the data gathered.

On a purely subjective measure, there is a glass patio door behind the shooting bench. With the relatively short barrel of the Scout rifle, my wife (who was inside) said that every time I fired a shot, it sounded like "someone hit the glass door with a baseball bat!"

2s92fkg.jpg

fz5h8x.jpg

qyv4gp.jpg

345y4xx.jpg

Shooting the Ruger Scout
    During the time I was working with the Scout rifle, INGO member Que came by to do some shooting. While we were at the pistol range, I had him shoot the Scout. (All the Appleseeders out there should take note of the sling and relaxed front hand!) The .308 round tore into the bowling pins hanging there.

2ro5g0z.jpg

1238hlk.jpg

24w7r0j.jpg

Shooting the Ruger Scout - YouTube

"Boxtest" of the Scope
    The Hi-Lux scope that is on this rifle is a modestly priced scope with a price point around $115. I was curious how well the internal adjustments tracked so I performed a "Box test". Starting at the upper left diamond, I shot a three-shot group. Then I adjusted the scopes turrets to move the point of impact 9" to the right. (9inches x 2MOA/inch at 50 yds x 4 clicks/MOA = 72 clicks.)

I continued to aim at the upper left corner every time.

After shooting the next group, I adjusted the scope 72 clicks down, shot a group, moved the scope 72 clicks left, shot a group, adjust scope 72 clicks up, shot a group.

If the scope has acceptable internal tracking, the groups should hit near the expected points and ultimately return to the original point-of-aim. This scope did just that. It passed the test.

(There is one error on the target in the picture below. The label "9 MOA" is wrong. It's 9 inches, but at 50 yards, it's 18 MOA.)

n4gi8m.jpg

Overall Results

The Scout rifle is supposed to be a flexible and reliable firearm. This particular rifle lived up to that reputation. It didn't seem to care whether the bullets were 150 grain, or 168, or 178. They all shot reasonably well.

Looking at the data below and discounting the line labeled "Unknown", the overall performance was around 2 to 2.5 MOA for all the rounds tested. In the final group of 12 best rounds, the performance was mostly between 1.5 and 2.0 MOA. Certainly adequate for a hunting/survival weapon. (For example: That 2.0 MOA at 200 yards would mean hitting a deer within a 4" circle.)

1zybtk.jpg

The Ruger Scout had no problem shooting many different types of bullets. Another good attribute for a multi-purpose survival/hunting rifle.

2laprp2.jpg

For the reloaded rounds tested, Varget performed slightly better. The Benchmark data should be used with caution as there were far fewer rounds loaded with it than the other two powders.

15ecq6w.jpg

I selected the top four performers in each bullet weight category to create my summary list of good rounds for the Ruger Scout Rifle. What is a bit surprising to me is that there are good shooting loads in three weight classes.

Two factory loads made the list. (Recall that I didn't test many factory brands. Don't read these results as being exhaustive. Far from that.)

2ivmdfn.jpg

During the testing the bolt action proved to be very positive and reliable. There were no mechanical issues with the rifle.

The Ruger Scout isn't a tack driver.
    The Ruger Scout isn't a tactical/military rifle.
    It is however, a very reliable and very flexible hunting and survival type firearm in a compact yet potent package.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Nice write up, and as always, a fun and informative read. It certainly isn't a tack driver, but it is a solid and dependable workhorse. I have had a lot of fun with my LH version.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Nice write up, and as always, a fun and informative read. It certainly isn't a tack driver, but it is a solid and dependable workhorse. I have had a lot of fun with my LH version.

Firearms are tools, and the tool needs to fit the role for which it was designed.

Most "tack driver" rifles are designed to do that by assembling many close-tolerance and costly parts. If you want a rifle to carry in your vehicle or have for a SHTF situation, the tack driver in the safe may not be the best choice. It may need a specific ammo type and it may react poorly to rough treatment and a dirty environment.

Right tool for the job.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Very nicely done, as always.

i have not had the time to work up loads for my ruger scout rifle, so this is VERY helpful!

Also nice to see that someone else shoots paper plates!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just realized you're like a geeked-out version of hickok45. :):

I remember shooting this rifle last summer. It's an interesting concept and one that I could see being beneficial in a ranch-type setting. I just didn't like that I had to cycle that handle thingy to make it go "bang" again. ;)

[video=youtube;XZw9f-goeOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZw9f-goeOI[/video]

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I'm saving for one of these now. I checked one out at my LGS recently and couldn't put it down... until they told me I had to or they'd shoot me as I tried to leave with it. :):

Another fine write up and I again am saving it for reference.! THANKS!

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Very cool write up, exhaustive to say the least. In the end, what I got out of this is that I need a rifle like this! I think Savage has a competitor to this correct? I'm off to look at what something like this would set me back. I have no rifle at all so a nice multi purpose rifle would be a great addition.

I like open sights too, it's what I learned on and would be fun to practice that way also. 308 would be great, but .223 might be more affordable to shoot, I'll have to think on what I "need". :)

I appreciate the the work that went into this post lovemyeoods!

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have one if these rifles, and before the weather got cold, I started to work up a load for it. I was using Varget and was not very successful getting any loads to group to my satisfaction. I guess I need to accept the fact that his rifle is what it is, and is not designed for tack driver accuracy...

richardh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Iowa
    Enjoyed the read. I got a LH version last summer. I've only had a chance to get it out to the range once. It is my first rifle. Even though it is not a tack driver it's ok! (Obviously I'm not either) I'll use factory ammo and its nice to know it's not picky.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Enjoyed the read. I got a LH version last summer. I've only had a chance to get it out to the range once. It is my first rifle. Even though it is not a tack driver it's ok! (Obviously I'm not either) I'll use factory ammo and its nice to know it's not picky.

Have fun with your rifle. It's a good one. It will last your lifetime with just a bit of care. :yesway:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Was anything done to the rifle like the trigger adjusted or "tweaked", barrel checked to see if it's free floating? Just wondering if there were any other factors to see if a little more accuracy could be squeezed out of the GSR. Did you full length size the brass or just neck size it? I know neck sizing helped in my bolt gun.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Was anything done to the rifle like the trigger adjusted or "tweaked", barrel checked to see if it's free floating? Just wondering if there were any other factors to see if a little more accuracy could be squeezed out of the GSR. Did you full length size the brass or just neck size it? I know neck sizing helped in my bolt gun.

No work was done on the trigger. Everything was stock.

Cases were full length resized for this work. Neck sizing some fire formed brass from the rifle might get a bit more accuracy out of it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :): It's been almost 5 years???

I'm finally getting around to loading for this caliber/gun. Thanks again to lovemywoods for his customarily very detailed data!

I have 78 Federal cases, once fired from this gun. (The OTM ammo that shot so well listed in LMW's data above.) I have neck sized them. Looks like they won't have to be trimmed for this first loading, but I believe I will uniform primer pockets with the Lyman Case Prep Center.

I'm looking to use game bullets rather than target, but have read that the 178gr A-Max is considered by some to be their hunting bullet? Also plan to load 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Speer 130gr HP.

My rifle cartridge loading experience is limited, but have had good success loading .243 in a Rem 700. Just recently delved into 300 ACC Blackout also.

I'm wondering if it's overkill to plan on OAL loading to .015 off of the lands, as I did for the .243? Similarly, should I use Fed GM Match primers initially for load development vs the standard Winchester's that I have used for everything until now?

LMW's results pointed to Varget as the top powder. For simplicity I just may stick with it, but do have a fair selection of others, including the IMR 4350 that shot so well out of the .243.

A few side notes;

The GSSR barrel was not free floated until last winter. I shimmed the front action bolt to bring the barrel away from the stock.
    A Timney trigger was installed when the action was off the stock.

I also own a seldom shot Encore in .308. It's understood that it has to be loaded for separately, especially with neck sizing. That said, if throat lengths are comparable and cartridges will chamber, is there any reason not to try loads developed for the GSSR in the Encore?

Top Bottom