• ...and so much more!
  • Do you use a case length gauge?

• Total voters

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have recently seen several folks recommending case length gauges to new reloaders. It started me wondering just how many folks use a case length gauge to check their loaded rounds.

I started reloading 25 years ago and have never bought a single case length gauge. I have always used the gauge that matters most to me; the chamber of the rifle or pistol from which I'm shooting my reloaded rounds.

Thoughts?

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    A quality check one finished loaded round at a time in a single case gauge not only checks for proper finished dimensions, but it gives you a chance to really scrutinize the round for primer seating depth. I've always believed the majority of serious mishaps using reloaded ammunition were not from excessive powder charges but rather out of battery firings from high primers.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    To clarify. Have .223, .308 and 30.06 case gages. I am reloading for several rifles in these calibers. Some are bolt guns some are semi. Only one bolt action .223 that I can neck size for. Also have Dillon rifle dies. They will go "short" if not careful. Edit to add; see no reason, other than 357 sig , to own pistol cal. case gages.

Last edited:

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I understand the premise, but do not use this procedure.

For rifle loading, I seat primers by hand. Each case gets the swipe of a finger and quick visual check when being transferred to the loading block. Any primer inconsistency is quickly noticed and culled. Once dies get adjusted for rifles and locked in place, they have not ever worked themselves out of adjustment to the best of my recollection. Most rifles are loaded on a T7 turret and I swap turrets rather than dies. Aside from bullet seating depth, few adjustments are ever made.

Pistols are loaded on Dillon progressive stuff for the most part. I use separate toolheads for each caliber or different loading within a caliber. I can't remember the last time I've ever adjusted a die on one of the toolheads. Between Dillon's dies having the quick release pin and a hefty dose of Loctite there is no need to ever adjust them. I run all large primers and small primers on separate machines and do not have to adjust the primer seating mechanism.

I perform an inspection for the first round loaded in a session to verify specs. Beside "bulk" .223 loadings, every rifle round is inspected for length, runout, weight and visual inconsistencies. "Bulk".223 categories into pistol for me and every 100th round gets torn apart and inspected for charge weight, length, etc.

I just don't see how case gauges can help or improve the quality or consistency of my operation.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I feel if my wife is going to be shooting my reloads they should be 100% Also a new re-loader took the profire class and looking forward to making some excellent ammo.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Monk

Maybe a little OCD but I gauge every round I load. My thought when I started was that I would probably do this for a while and then just go to random checking once I grew more confident and comfortable. I load with a Dillon 550b with a separate tool head for each caliber. That has turned out not to be the case though as I still occasionally encounter a slightly bulged case or a burr on the rim or shaved plating on a bullet that might interfere with proper chambering, so I will continue to check every round. :twocents:

PS: Just over 11000 rounds loaded and logged since I began reloading about two years ago and I have so far put a little over 8500 hundred of those rounds downrange without incident. :)

Last edited:

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Slightly over 40 years reloading. Never owned or used a case gage. See no reason to have one.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I suspect that there would be a strong correlation between those using a progressive press and those checking their reloaded rounds with a case length gauge, and that the inverse would be true for those doing most of their reloading on a single-stage press. What I find interesting is this: The internal dimensions of dies do not change, and neither does the relative strength or flex of a reloading press, so why would there be a need to do anything more than an occasional spot-check of finished rounds? I can understand the desire for EVERY round to be perfect, which is why reloading dies and tooling are made the way they are made. I couldn't even hazard a guess at how many rounds I've reloaded in the last quarter century, but the firing chamber of the firearm in question has always proven perfectly suitable as a "gauge" of whether or not my cases are sized sufficiently and the bullets are seated properly. :twocents:

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    It make sense to the rounds. The product can only be as good as your supplies, your machine and the person loading. I am not a perfect person so that is why people check I would think.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Been reloading a little over 40 years and I use a case length gauge on all my rifle rounds to check for case length after sizing to see if they needed trimming. I don't use a overall cartridge length gauge to check OAL on a finished round, that's what calipers are for and once your press is set they all come out with in a thousand or so. On straight walled pistol cases I never had the need.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I suspect that there would be a strong correlation between those using a progressive press and those checking their reloaded rounds with a case length gauge, and that the inverse would be true for those doing most of their reloading on a single-stage press. What I find interesting is this: The internal dimensions of dies do not change, and neither does the relative strength or flex of a reloading press, so why would there be a need to do anything more than an occasional spot-check of finished rounds? I can understand the desire for EVERY round to be perfect, which is why reloading dies and tooling are made the way they are made. I couldn't even hazard a guess at how many rounds I've reloaded in the last quarter century, but the firing chamber of the firearm in question has always proven perfectly suitable as a "gauge" of whether or not my cases are sized sufficiently and the bullets are seated properly. :twocents:

I'm not arguing for or against gauges (I don't use them, but I do use the tightest chambers I load for), but there is one variable for which you didn't acknowledge: brass.

Even brass within the same lot can vary in thickness, hardness, spring, etc. I see a LOT of variability in brass and I know you do too.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I'm not arguing for or against gauges (I don't use them, but I do use the tightest chambers I load for), but there is one variable for which you didn't acknowledge: brass.

Even brass within the same lot can vary in thickness, hardness, spring, etc. I see a LOT of variability in brass and I know you do too.

I do not disagree with you, but... I have not experienced brass differences making some rounds "go" and some "not go". While there certainly can be differences, they just haven't seemed to be large enough to make or break my die settings vs chambering. FWIW, I do not load mixed head stamps at the same time. If I have 2k 40's in federal cases and 3k in winchester, they get broken into different load groups.

It's all about the sort and inspect before and during cleaning. I truly believe that is when most brass issues get caught and culled. Only primo, top quality brass should ever even make it into the hopper.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I do not disagree with you, but... I have not experienced brass differences making some rounds "go" and some "not go".

I've never seen new or once fired brass of the same lot have any dimensional issues, but I've tested a lot of brass to destruction (and posted a lot of my tests on InGO) and seen an extremely wide range in response of the brass to multiple firings, from lasting a long time to reliably failing after a very few loadings and I certainly have seen random range brass fail my simple "drop it in the chamber" test after loading. I sort and track my precision rifle brass pretty carefully, but random plinking brass gets a lot less scrutiny and I know many reloaders do the same.

Regardless, I just wanted to point out a significant variable that should not be overlooked.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I started reloading 25 years ago and have never bought a single case length gauge. I have always used the gauge that matters most to me; the chamber of the rifle or pistol from which I'm shooting my reloaded rounds.

Thoughts?

I had never even considered a case gauge either until probably the time I started loading for Glocks and aftermarket barrels... Now days, I do have a gauge for certain calibers... The calibers I justify having a gauge for are 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.... I see absolutely no need for a gauge for any revolver cartridge I load for.

I do not check every round... In fact, I only use it at the bench only if something doesn't feel right. Actually, I probably use it more at the range... I commonly frequent a large public range where either brass gets mixed up or I am given brass... I know by how far the brass starts into the gauge if I even want it. As common as these calibers are, I have no desire to perform extra work on brass by running it through a bulge busting die.

The wife, son, and myself load for 7 different platforms in 9mm for example... Granted, I know the tightest chamber I have is a KKM aftermarket barrel for a Glock and I could always pull it out if I ever questioned something, but grabbing the gauge is simply much faster and is only a $15.00 tool that has paid for itself in time savings...

The reason I do suggest for new loaders of certain calibers to buy a gauge is because many of them only have (1) platform... If that one platform they are currently loading for has a generous chamber, there would be value to a gauge if they plan to add another platform in the future...

I view the case gauge more as a "standard" and a convenience, not so much a "must" have... If I were to lose one of mine today, I would spend another $15.00 and buy another...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I know what Shibumseeker means about certain lots of brass being markedly different than others, such that a resizing die that is adjust perfectly for brand "X" will not resize brand "Y" sufficiently.

Perhaps to expound a little on why some folks would have a gauge while others don't, I would not be surprised if those loading primarily for accuracy from single-shot or bolt-action rifles would be less likely to have a gauge, while those loading in profusion for high-pressure pistol and/or semi-auto rifle cartridges might be more likely to employ a case gauge.

For my needs, sizing a case until it fits into a gauge may be entirely TOO MUCH. By using the chamber of my rifle or handgun I know my cases are only being sized as much as is required for them to fire again from that chamber. It may take additional sizing to get them to fit into a gauge, which is something I would just as soon avoid.

My ammo doesn't need to run in ALL guns chambered in a given cartridge, only MY guns. That's why the firing chamber in my gun will always be the gauge I use.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    My ammo doesn't need to run in ALL guns chambered in a given cartridge, only MY guns. That's why the firing chamber in my gun will always be the gauge I use.

As you know from my posts, I dont use any chamber gauges. Consider this about your statement though: what if you get a new gun? Say you load up a couple thousand 45acp to fit the tighest chamber you have. One day, a new 1911 follows you home from the LGS and it's chamber happens to be tighter than any of your prior owned weapons. Now what?

I know you load a lot of rifle, and this for the most part doesn't pertain to you, just speaking theoretically here.

Top Bottom