• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Going to make my first batch of 45 here soon in the next day or more. I am using Winchester LPP and will make a batch using CCI SPP. After some research it seems this is about the average load for decent accuracy. Does anyone disagree or have a better suggestion. I only have one 45 my 4506-1. Looking for a decent target round at 25 yds.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Going to make my first batch of 45 here soon in the next day or more. I am using Winchester LPP and will make a batch using CCI SPP. After some research it seems this is about the average load for decent accuracy. Does anyone disagree or have a better suggestion. I only have one 45 my 4506-1. Looking for a decent target round at 25 yds.

My notes on load work ups using that same pistol and a 230 grain lead round nose bullet manufactured by STAR out of Indy stopped at exactly 4.0 grains of Bullseye loaded to your same COL of 1.250 give or take a few as lead behaves in the seater die. They were averaging 817 fps over 8 shots fired, dated 3-10-2002.

I'd work up very carefully above 4 grains if for some reason you want to push the rounds any faster than that. Also, the amount of taper crimp you apply on .45 acp rounds are going to have a big influence on how the round seals in the chamber, you aren't dealing with much pressure there in the first place. If the cases are filthy dirty when fired that will give you some indication they're not sealing well to the chamber when fired. This can have a big influence on how the gun generates pressure, cycles the slide and the speed of the round. Easy does it crimping the .45acp, just enough is what your looking for there. It's the job of the sizing die to provide neck tension for the bullet, NOT the crimp.

If the round is put together properly 4.0 grains should be plenty for that load. Don't go making fistfuls of loaded rounds until you test them over a chronograph, it's the only way to know.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Yeah I didn't plan on making more than 8 to test. So I'm not too far off then. Wasn't 100% and I seen alot of people having different OAl's. Thanks for the help will be looking to try them out when my case length gauge comes in. I have one for 9mm, but bought components for my 45. I will probably wait till March when its nicer out and when I buy your chrony if it doesn't sell before then.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So I ended up completing my first loads. I tried for about 20 min to get it exact 4.1 but it kept bouncing around. So I went with 4.1 bullseye 1.250 OAl and have 15 rounds to test my load.

When putting on the factory crimp how much is too much? I had to keep increasing (tightening the die) to get them to case gauge right. They appear good to go and still measure 1.25 OAl.

When I first put 4.1 in each I thought this was too little, then saw how far I had to seat the bullet and saw why it calls for around that much. I did have 16, but when I went to seat the first bullet ended up Pushing it way to far down about 1.14ish OAl. I guess its time to invest in a bullet puller now.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    for LRN bullets, .472 is right around where you want to be.

Measure the diameter right at the case mouth. .475 isn't enough, less than .470 may swage down the bullet and cause less than optimal accuracy.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    at .472 they should still case gauge right?

Update: I ran out and grabbed my dial and double checked. The largest is at .473 the rest running at .472-.4725.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yes. .472 is essentially just removing the bell. .452 bullet diameter + (2x0.10 brass thickness)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Thanks for your help. I figure double check my work before giving my taste tester a bad case of heartburn. Probably be a few more weeks till I can get out and test.

Top Bottom