• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I have some Winchester auto comp powder I would like to use for 38 special with 125grain extreme plated bullets. I have got the load data from hodgdon and lee manual and the load data for cast lrnfp and xtp are the same grains different pressures(5.7-6.2gr). Extreme recommends using high end lead data or mid range jacketed data. I am thinking of starting with 6.0 grains. Does anyone have any experience with this powder for 38 special?

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    I use autocomp for .45 and 9mm. I always start with the lowest recommended powder grain wt for any wt bullet no matter what the bullet shape. I load six rounds at min grain wt, then 6 more at min+1, 6 more min +2, then 6 more at min+3. Then I shoot each group of 6, two round in the mag at a time, looking for the slide to cycle and lock when the mag is empty. I collect the brass from each group and inspect it for any thing out of the ordinary. I will repeat this process for the next two groups or until the slide cycles and locks. If none of these loads cycle and lock the slide, I go back and load min+4,+5 and +6...when you find a load that cycles properly, I don't use that grain wt. I go to the next higher set of 6 rounds and use that grain wt. Why? Not all powder drops are perfectly the same, so going up one higher grain wt will account for any variation.
    When I have decided on a grain wt from my 6 round group tests, I load up 50 rounds at that wt, and shoot them in mags of three or four. I shoot then at fast and slow rates, double tap, etc.. I want to make sure they work properly. If all 50 rounds shoot without a problem, and the spent brass looks normal, I stick with that grain wt for that powder and bullet wt.
    I note all of these combinations of powder and bullet type\wt and how they work for my gun. With the shortage of powder I never know what is available, so having this data logged saves my time and components when developing loads.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I was quite literally just about to ask this same question.
    From what I can round up, it looks like auto comp (in the amounts you mention) should be fine.
    In general, IS IT CLEAN?

Also, it looks like it can be loaded up to 357 magnum if used with magnum primers -- nice to find a dual-purpose powder

Top Bottom