Be careful when ordering ammo from Gander online!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phearly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis,IN
    I recently thought I stumbled onto a great deal listed on Gunbot for Remington UMC 9mm 115gr, JHP 100-packs for $32.99 @ the Gander Mountain website. So, I waited a couple days, the ammo was still available, so I bit & ordered 1 box for free store pickup. I even received the confirmation email, stating that I had purchased a 100-round value pack of JHP. I waited the several days it takes for the ammo to make its way to the store, got the call from the store yesterday saying it was in & ready for pickup, and then spent my precious morning hours this morning driving all the way across town to grab it. My heart sunk when I got the ammo to the car just to find out that what I had gotten was FMJ...not JHP! So I took it back into the store and told my story, explaining that everything on the webpage said JHP when I ordered it(NOT my mistake, I MADE SURE exactly what I was ordering). The store people were great, they even called up corporate to see what happened. Corporate basically called me a liar, saying that I ordered FMJ and got what I ordered, but could have a refund. Like any good gen-Xer should do, I said thanks to the store staff but told them I am going to take the FMJ home & fight Gander's corporate flunkies myself over the phone. I did just that. I got a corporate metrosexual-sounding rep on the phone. "He" tried everything in the book to make me bend over & take their reaming(saying it was a typo & there wasn't anything they could do for me), but through determined perseverance, I got them(mr. metro & his supervisor) to agree to price-match the JHP ammo for the FMJ price whenever it goes back in stock. I know....I may be holding my breath for a while & still have to drag myself back to the store to return the incorrect item! I guess what I am saying is....be VERY careful when you order ammo online through Gander! There is really no way of knowing when ordering if their web page is correct(everything for me, including the confirmation email stated "JHP" so I had NO reason to believe anything was amiss), but you could at least verify what product is really at the store when they call you for pickup & save your time & gas.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    It's truly a sad state of affairs to have that degree of emotional capital and time invested into one lousy box of ammunition at the hand of corporate malfeasance.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    ACK!! Spacing!

I recently thought I stumbled onto a great deal listed on Gunbot for Remington UMC 9mm 115gr, JHP 100-packs for $32.99 @ the Gander Mountain website. So, I waited a couple days, the ammo was still available, so I bit & ordered 1 box for free store pickup. I even received the confirmation email, stating that I had purchased a 100-round value pack of JHP.

I waited the several days it takes for the ammo to make its way to the store, got the call from the store yesterday saying it was in & ready for pickup, and then spent my precious morning hours this morning driving all the way across town to grab it. My heart sunk when I got the ammo to the car just to find out that what I had gotten was FMJ...not JHP! So I took it back into the store and told my story, explaining that everything on the webpage said JHP when I ordered it(NOT my mistake, I MADE SURE exactly what I was ordering).

The store people were great, they even called up corporate to see what happened. Corporate basically called me a liar, saying that I ordered FMJ and got what I ordered, but could have a refund. Like any good gen-Xer should do, I said thanks to the store staff but told them I am going to take the FMJ home & fight Gander's corporate flunkies myself over the phone. I did just that.

I got a corporate metrosexual-sounding rep on the phone. "He" tried everything in the book to make me bend over & take their reaming(saying it was a typo & there wasn't anything they could do for me), but through determined perseverance, I got them(mr. metro & his supervisor) to agree to price-match the JHP ammo for the FMJ price whenever it goes back in stock. I know....I may be holding my breath for a while & still have to drag myself back to the store to return the incorrect item!

I guess what I am saying is....be VERY careful when you order ammo online through Gander! There is really no way of knowing when ordering if their web page is correct(everything for me, including the confirmation email stated "JHP" so I had NO reason to believe anything was amiss), but you could at least verify what product is really at the store when they call you for pickup & save your time & gas.

Okay, that's better.

What does metrosexuality have to do with a company's service?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What did your receipt say? Did it say JHP or FMJ? Was there a SKU# on it? I'm not sure why it would ever come to a he-said/she-said argument. Just show them the receipt.

phearly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis,IN
    ACK!! Spacing!

Okay, that's better.

What does metrosexuality have to do with a company's service?

Didn't realize I needed to study the MLS handbook to post here. Sorry to offend you.... The metrosexual comment was added to allude to the general chickification of our society & to add color to the narrative.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Didn't realize I needed to study the MLS handbook to post here. Sorry to offend you.... The metrosexual comment was added to allude to the general chickification of our society & to add color to the narrative.

Not offensive, just difficult to read. It's not an issue of "needing the MLS", it's just making it easier to read for others.

What is offensive is the percieved need to put down people b/c you are angry, metro or not. It's not about being PC, it's about being an upstanding human being that can interact with society and it's issues without reverting to name calling.

phearly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis,IN
    What did your receipt say? Did it say JHP or FMJ? Was there a SKU# on it? I'm not sure why it would ever come to a he-said/she-said argument. Just show them the receipt.

The receipt(confirmation email) said "JHP". There seemingly was no problem with the order until I went to pick it up....You're right, it should always be a simple matter of the retailer saying, "we made a mistake & inconvenienced you. Here is what we will do to make it right.". Too many times these days retailers will chose to first fight over a couple bucks & potentially lose a customer even though they are demonstratively wrong.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Right on track there...

The receipt(confirmation email) said "JHP". There seemingly was no problem with the order until I went to pick it up....You're right, it should always be a simple matter of the retailer saying, "we made a mistake & inconvenienced you. Here is what we will do to make it right.". Too many times these days retailers will chose to first fight over a couple bucks & potentially lose a customer even though they are demonstratively wrong.

^^^+1

It's REALLY hard these days for a person or a Co. to do the "Next Right Thing"...Bill.
    +Rep to you..

phearly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis,IN
    I almost ordered that yesterday. Thanks OP.

No problem...that was my main intent with the post...to inform others who may want(or have already ordered) the ammo, but are unaware of Gander's web mistake. Apparently they DO sell 100-packs of the UMC JHP...the SKU for it is 412924, but the price is $44.99 when in stock. The SKU for the FMJ that I received was 725322 .

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Well, no, they didn't choose to fight first. By your own description, the people at the store were great. You just wanted them to take your word for it and got mad when they refused. Having worked in retail and having had to deal with MANY people trying to scam me, I absolutely would not just take a customer's word for it if I thought (based on my records) that they ordered something that cost half as much as what they said they ordered. That's why I said you should have just produced the receipt. Then, there's no question about what got ordered. As a retailer, that's when they go back to their records and say "Oh, yes, we see the problem. Ok, it was our mistake and we'll make good." and everyone is happy. I absolutely would not expect them to just bow down and accept whatever you tell them without question. That's a great way to lose money.

phearly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis,IN
    Well, no, they didn't choose to fight first. By your own description, the people at the store were great. You just wanted them to take your word for it and got mad when they refused. Having worked in retail and having had to deal with MANY people trying to scam me, I absolutely would not just take a customer's word for it if I thought (based on my records) that they ordered something that cost half as much as what they said they ordered. That's why I said you should have just produced the receipt. Then, there's no question about what got ordered. As a retailer, that's when they go back to their records and say "Oh, yes, we see the problem. Ok, it was our mistake and we'll make good." and everyone is happy. I absolutely would not expect them to just bow down and accept whatever you tell them without question. That's a great way to lose money.

Ok...let me say it this way then......I SHOWED the people at the store the PRINTED order verification EMAIL(aka invoice)sent to me from Gander Mountain themselves, that clearly stated what I paid for was "JHP" ammo. I always bring the printed email invoice with me when picking up a web order from a store. So there was no grey area there at all. I had paid for JHP and had gotten FMJ. It was in black & white in right front of them. The girls at the store's CS desk were great & did finally understand that Gander had made an error on their part. It was corporate that basically called me a liar and DID decide to fight me up front...even after I forwarded the verification email to the rep. I'm sure a lot of people try to get one over on stores and they have to be wary of ripoffs, but this was cut & dried from the start. I tried ripping off no one and didn't expect them to just accept my word for it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Moral of the story here sounds like you should verify what you purchased is what you received BEFORE leaving the store. I know that in most cases, ammo is a no return, no exchange item. As soon as you left that store, it was yours. With ammo as scarce as it is these days, I could see some idiot trying a scam like this. They have to protect themselves as well.

Top Bottom